[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so I just got a steam controller on the cheap why is there so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
File: Steam_Controller-112-970-80.jpg (40 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
Steam_Controller-112-970-80.jpg
40 KB, 970x545
so I just got a steam controller on the cheap
why is there so much hate for this thing?
navigating my machine with it is pretty fucking comfy and it works reasonably well in shit like the Witcher 3
only complaint is wasn't it supposed to be super customizable
>>
Pls respond
>>
>>53908588
[spoiler]>>>/v/[/spoiler]
>>
>>53908588
ebin
>>
how cheap is cheap?
>>
>>53908524

first of all
>>/v/

>isn't supposed to be super customizable?
It is. It takes a lot of tweaking to get it right on a game to game basis, so most people just use configurations made by other users already.

>why does it get so much hate?
Digital analogs and weird triggers.

Also
>glossy plastic
It's bad on literally any controller
>>
>>53908524
it is super customizable you just have to do it from big picture mode
>>
>>53911294
$10
friend of mine ordered one, decided he didn't want it, sold it to me without even opening the box since shipping it back would've been a pain in the ass

>>53911337
>>53911339
I meant physically, wasn't there supposed to be something about swappable controls
>>
>>53911617
you're getting the steam controller confused with the xbone elite controller which retails for $150 while the steam controller does for $60 (USD at least)
>>
>>53911617
No there is mode shifting

They did do this though
https://steamcommunity.com/games/353370/announcements
>>
>>53908524

That's the worst, most uncomfortable looking D-Pad in the history of controllers.
>>
seems like something for people too dumb to use xpadder and have to use some builtin Steam crap
>>
>>53913045
Have you tried it? Actually really comfy. Great for scrolling depending on the application
>>
>>53913102
>Great for scrolling
Yeah, that's what you need a dpad for....
>>
>>53913109
You slide your thumb on it as well as press the buttons. You should watch a video or something because I dont think you understand.

Overall the controller is unusable for I would say most games but it is still comfy and nice to have in more than a few scenarios.
>>
>>53913109
Different guy. I normally hate controllers, but got one for free. The d-pad really isn't an issue whatsoever. The controller itself is actually really good with certain games, and I occasionally use it in place of mouse and keyboard for browsing 4Chan and shit. The d-pad can be used as a traditional d-pad or for scrolling. Works well for both.
>>
>>53913141
>but got one for free
You mean in exchange for shilling it here?
>>
>>53913166
No, from my brother in law. I wish I could get free shit to shill.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oxNfv5UBa8
>>
>>53908524
my 360 controller is dying on me

should i get one of these or an xbone one?
>inb4 ds4
>>
>>53913313
xbone
>>
>>53913261
Using the gyro for precise aim is amazing, it also makes the games feel more immersive.
>>
>>53908524
Once you've tried to play games with it for more than an hour you're going to see what the problem is. The trackpad things are literally painfully uncomfortable.
>>
>>53908524
>why is there so much hate for this thing?
Because keyboard+mouse > controllers
>>
>>53913701
Not for all games.
But for those the 360 one is superior to the Steam controller.
>>
Do you have to be in big picture mode to use it for browsing or can you use it like a normal mouse pad?

Of you can, how does keyboard work? On screen keyboard or that cool wheel big pic mode has?

I kinda want one for being comfy under a blanket.
>>
>>53914526
The wheel is an option but it opens up a virtual keyboard that has the left pad mapped 1:1 to the left board region and the right 1:1 to the right. triggers to hit the keys.
>>
File: 1459547407001.jpg (237 KB, 1200x1221) Image search: [Google]
1459547407001.jpg
237 KB, 1200x1221
>>53913674
I don't think so (bought on release). Not as snappy as kb/m of course but much more so than joystick controllers.

>>53914526
It's pretty decent for desktop mode, scrolling is done by circling the left trackpad, keyboard can be brought up with joystick press.
>>
>>53914796
It's a lot better than it used to be on desktop mode for sure, but it still sucks for e.g. a first person shooter comfort-wise.
>>
>>53908524
Its an awful controller, hope you don't plan on playing games with it.

But it's ok for using as a mouse.

Also the thing feels like its only work $10, its cheaply built. I haven't felt such a cheap controller since the early 2000s
>>
>>53908524
It's okay to play SimCity/cities skylines or general strategy games with it. Drawing streets is really cool with it imo. But it's got pretty shitty keymaps or how they are called for shooters and stuff. The community is doing their best to optimize them. So you can download them and customize if you want. The price is the biggest flaw of it.
>>
Basically, if the game is slow paced or turn based the steam controller works well. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.
>>
>>53908665
>Tries to spoiler on /g/

>>>/v/
>>
>>53913313
OP here, if you're looking for a replacement get an xbone controller
steam controller is basically something completely different
>>
File: Gamecube_Controller.jpg (403 KB, 1287x984) Image search: [Google]
Gamecube_Controller.jpg
403 KB, 1287x984
>>53908524
I find that the way the grips curve upward uncomfortable after a while, and i dislike how the track pad doesn't return to zero like an analog stick would. I just want a Gamecube controller for my PC...
>>
>>53920717
I think they are actually USB adapters for it
>>
>>53913313
You should just get another 360 controller.
>>
>>53920740
>I think they are actually USB adapters for it
Well, would ya look at that.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301305983781?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

No more steam shit for me!
>>
>>53920740
Yeah, they don't cost that much, either. $20 ish for a 4-port mayflash adapter, if I remember correctly.
>>
>>53920777
If you use the d-pad at all, get the xbone controller, because it doesn't stuck. Otherwise, stick with 360, they're basically the same other than the d-pad.
>>
>>53920847
The dualshock has a superior dpad
I can't understand why people praise it because it's in the wrong place
>>
>on the cheap
>he uses the phrase "on the cheap"

Get raped by refugees OP
>>
>>53921160
Epic!
>>
>>53921033
Depends on what games you play. If you play more games that are heavy on the joystick, then the xbox has it in the optimal place.
>>
>>53920717
>gamecube controller
>actually liking this shit
>>
i love my steam controller. the amount of customizability is fucking insane. I had to do research on like ten different terms I'd never even heard before just to completely understand the options I had for my triggers.

None of this is for the faint of heart; if you want something to "just werk" then get an xbox controller.

If you want the best possible PC gaming controller experience, I think the steam controller makes a huge play for that title and doesn't come up short.
>>
It's terrible for games actually designed for a controller

But I guess it's better than nothing for kb/m centric games on the couch
>>
>>53920799
The official Nintendo one is better if you plan to use dolphin
>>
>>53908524
I was pretty hyped for this thing.
Pre-ordered it as soon as I was able to.
Got it the day they said I'd get it.

So now, I had the thing and played quite a few games with it, being pretty much a PC only person the controls obviously didn't live up to keyboard/mouse, but were pretty nice.

I have gone back to not using it for gaming tho, although it is pretty fucking amazing as remote control when you're watching movies or whatever from your couch/...
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.