[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /g/, anyone have any experience with reinstalling android
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Screenshot_2016-04-06-16-22-41.png (94 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-06-16-22-41.png
94 KB, 768x1024
Sup /g/, anyone have any experience with reinstalling android on unknown devices? my brother brought home two andoid tablets that his work was going to throw out but there are no identifying markers on the device such as who the manufacturer is or what commercial model the tablet is based off of. managed to get it rooted and installed a hardware info app so i can get specs and whatnot. the thing is locked down beyond belief, was built only to run the web browser for kiosk mode or some shit.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-06-16-25-49.png (62 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-06-16-25-49.png
62 KB, 768x1024
>>53906350
and the sys info i could gather.
>>
If you have root, you don't really need to reinstall android
>>
>>53906514
I guess, thought it'd be nice to install cyanogen or something. just don't particularly want to deal with any potential issues that may arise with using the shit built into it.
>>
>>53906579
>>53906514
plus it's running jellybean and updating to marshmallow might be beneficial if anything.
>>
>>53906783
>g02ref826ds_6181
Yeah, good luck finding a ROM for a device with that sort of codename
>>
>>53906812
that's the issue, i was originally hoping to find a comparable consumer model that might work but that has proven impossible. trying to install the play store now and it doesn't seem to want to actually run. gonna uninstall and try a different version.
>>
>>53906833
You need to install gapps
>>
OP, I think you are lucky you managed to root it, but without the kernel and driver sources even building anything (custom firmware, recovery) for this device seems impossible. Did you use King Root or some similar app?

>>53906888
You need a custom recovery in order to install gapps
>>
>>53907097
I used king root and it detected the model number, same one listed in the second screen shot. it comes with an app installer which is fine but it requires you to manually download APKs then transfer them over to the device. never really tinkered with android like this before so this is all sort of new to me.
>>
>>53906888
>>53907097
still can't figure this out, is there no hope of recovering this device? google play refuses to work so i guess i could just settle for manually installing apks
>>
>>53907097
goo.
gl/
qee8lQ

This is as app to install Google apps on rooted devices from 2.3 to 4.3
I got it from xda
>>
>>53907684
omg I love you, installed that rebooted and everything works now! may i ask how you knew or found out about this? always interested in increasing my googlefoo level.
>>
>>53907877
"Install Google apps without recovery"

It lead to XDA and then I read forum threads there until I found a random download link.

XDA is generally a good point for reading about Android hacking and programs, just that the entire forum is a mess so you'll be searching a while.
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-04-06 18.16.08.png (89 KB, 1139x634) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-04-06 18.16.08.png
89 KB, 1139x634
so the tablet i messed with works now, second one when I plug it in seems to connect as a media player instead of a drive i can access like the first tablet, any thoughts? USB debugging is enabled and i rooted the device.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.