[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Building a Gaming PC From Salvaged Parts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4
File: IC.jpg (453 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
IC.jpg
453 KB, 1280x960
Okay /g/, tomorrow I'm going to Goodwill to look for computer parts I can salvage to build a gaming PC. I'm obviously not going to build the whole thing from salvaged parts, a lot will be bought new at a later date. Anyway, are there any particular models to look for? Also, if anyone else has done this, do you have any advice? And no, I can't afford to just buy a gaming PC.
>>
If you're heading to a goodwill I'd assume you'd be looking at lga775 era stuff maybe?
If you can find a full working PC then I'd just take that and replace some of the parts.
Looking for individual parts might be a bit of a headache, but I've never been to a goodwill so I don't actually know
>>
File: secret.jpg (202 KB, 1024x897) Image search: [Google]
secret.jpg
202 KB, 1024x897
I don't know how much stuff you're gonna be able to find at a goodwill desu

Personally, my goodwill has almost fuck all when it comes to computers. It's all keyboards and mice, maybe a DVD reader.

I'd just loo into what >>53906455 is saying and just buy an old used PC and replace some parts. Best of luck.
>>
>it's a gamer kiddo thread
sage
>>>/v/
>>
File: 1450156731808.jpg (244 KB, 1846x1212) Image search: [Google]
1450156731808.jpg
244 KB, 1846x1212
>>53906654
Not him but its more of a tech related question you faggot
>>
>>53906784
It'd be /v/ related if heasked what the best PC games are and what he needs to play them
>>
>>53906784
then it belongs in >>>/g/sqt or >>>/wsr/
>>
File: GA-P35-DS3L.png (47 KB, 1221x400) Image search: [Google]
GA-P35-DS3L.png
47 KB, 1221x400
>>53906455
LGA 775 is the best bet. The trick is finding out what the motherboard is, without having to buy it first.

You want a mid-late era 775, meant and optimized for C2D/C2Q processors. Earlier models were more meant for late P4's, which are shit. Avoid the early model 775s at all costs, they won't overclock well or take the higher end Core2's.

You'll want to try match RAM as best you can. Preferably something that is 400MHz base/DDR2 800. This will allow you to overclock the FSB on a decent motherboard to achieve an easy overclock on the CPU while synchronizing with the RAM speed.

Ideal motherboard models are most Gigabyte-based units in the P35 or preferably P45 line. The holy grails are GA-EP45-UD3R and its variants, but a GA-P35-DS3L is common and works with some additional cooling and tweaking.

If you're lucky, the board you score will take a Xeon 771 processor with sticker mod, allowing you to put a high binned processor in there like an X5460 or an E5450. The E5450 is a good option if it's a lesser model board that doesn't handle stress as well. These older Xeons can be had for pocket change and are real workhorses.

You will absolutely want a fresh power supply though. It is the fucking lifeblood of your PC, so don't go feeding it shitty power from some worn down Dell.

If you're really thrifty in your salvage and used purchases, you can build something like this for relatively short money.
>>
Oh, and avoid any board based on an nVidia 775 chipset.

Flaky pieces of shit.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.