[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My /g/'s, I know this topic has been covered. But how bad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
My /g/'s, I know this topic has been covered. But how bad is the botnet of Windows 10 vs Windows 7 after you do all the standard de-botnetting to 10?
I'm going to get a new desktop later and can't decide which one to put on it. I'll also be dual-booting with Debian.
>>
>>53905738
W7, W8, W8.1, W10... All botnet. Doesn't matter what you do. Choose the latest, because it's faster.
>>
>>53905892
This anon knows.

Although I wouldn't say the fastest, think 8.1 is faster and I got way more issues compared to 7. At least it doesn't look as shit.
>>
>>53905738
Doesnt matter, if you get w7 they'll just make you upgrade lmao
>>
>>53905978

I have W7 and deactivated the upgrade. Pretty straightforward.

That said, I'll have a new build finished next week and I'm considering upgrading straight to 10. Haven't seen any solid practical argument in favour of 10 though. Workspaces would be nice, but what else do I stand to gain?
>>
>>53905738
W7 is pretty safe. As long as you remove the updates that aid telemetry and try to force you win10 (or just don't download them) you will be fine.
When the telemetry thing about win10 blew out last year, several places specialized in Windows discussion gathered the troublrsome updates into a list and ways to remove them. Personally, I frequent mydigitallife, but there's the sevenforums too. However, there is a great tool that should be more known in /g/. It's called aegis script for Windows 7/8/8.1 and it removes every update the deals with telemetry or Windows 10, hides them from the Windows update list, blocks known Microsoft addresses on the hosts files, and a bunch of other source. It's on voat, the reddit "clone". Search on Google for "aegis telemetry", it should be the first result.

Oh, and it's open source.
>>
>>53905958

Triple boot here and no big difference in boot times between 10 and 7. Applications all load under a second as well. An SSD effectively neutralizes whatever loading speed advantage 10 has over 7.

>>53906197
An inferior attempt at copying gnu/linux's rolling releases.
>>
>>53905892
>>53905958
>>
>>53905958
But DirectX 12 doesn't work on W8.1, does it?
>>
>>53906420
Where are the DirectX 12 tests in that table?
>>
>>53906445
Are you retarded? You can't compare DirectX 12 performance on W10 to the others. They don't exist on the others.
>>
>>53906463
Compare DirectX 12 on W10 against DirectX 11 on W7.

That's the only comparison matters. If the former is better, I need to install W10. Otherwise, I can stick with W7.

What is hard to grasp about this simple concept?
>>
>>53906420
To be fair, you don't even notice the difference although it's horrible results given how 10 is new and supposed to be better. Quite pathetic.
>>
>>53906557
All the great D12 gayms you'll be missing!

Besides, if somebody isn't a gaymer fag it's irrelevant.
>>
>>53906596
>All the great D12 gayms you'll be missing!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support list seems to be growing. I have little doubt that in 1-2 years the majority of new game releases will be using DirectX 12.

>Besides, if somebody isn't a gaymer fag it's irrelevant.
What purpose does Windows serve apart from being used as a gaming partition?
>>
>>53906666
Since Hackintosh is a mess that needs specific hardware, all the fancy software you otherwise have to run in Wine (if it happens to work). Office, Jewshop, and the likes.
>>
>>53906750
>Office, Jewshop, and the likes.
This is /g/ - Technology, right? What field do you work in that requires any of these?

Either way,
>LibreOffice
>Krita
Proprietary software can BTFO any time now.
>>
>>53906557
That's literally retarded. 12 has the potential to be faster than 11, but has a big learning curve. Vulkan and 12 are essentially equal in terms of performance but vulkan is cross platform.
>>
File: backendcomp-nvidia.png (60 KB, 960x680) Image search: [Google]
backendcomp-nvidia.png
60 KB, 960x680
>>53906930
>That's literally retarded.
Nice argument, 10/10 would read again.

>12 has the potential to be faster than 11
No shit

>but has a big learning curve
Present-day DirectX 12 already offers improvements over DirectX 11, so that's not exactly a big deal.

If anything, it means DirectX 12 will keep getting better and better compared to DirectX 11 as time moves on.

>Vulkan and 12 are essentially equal in terms of performance
Why are you trying to move the goalposts? This was about DirectX 11 vs DirectX 12, not about DirectX 12 vs Vulkan.
>>
>>53907040
faggot maybe because locking yourself into one version of one OS is retarded
>>
>>53906884
>This is /g/ - Technology, right?
Which simply means that people are interested in technology (ignoring all the /v/ children and /pol/aks. Not that everybody works in a tech related field.

>LibreOffice
Is nowhere close Office, it has it's upsides but the UI alone is pure outdated cancer. Though I am testing Soft Maker Free Office now, which seems close enough.

>Krita
Not even the same type of software as PS.

>>53906930
Not like Vulkan will be every relevant.
>>
>>53906666
Since windows 7 and 8 still have lots of marketshare, I doubt many developers will put as much effort into optimizing for a windows 10 exclusive API. Same as happened with directx 10 being exclusive to vista. Most games still worked just as well in directx 9 for years and years.
>>
>>53907101
Did anybody even use DX10? I feel like the industry just skipped DX10 and went straight for DX11.
>>
>>53907056
>faggot maybe because locking yourself into one version of one OS is retarded
I assume you mean keeping around both a Windows 7 gaming partition and a Windows 10 gaming partition, for DirectX 11 and DirectX 12 games respectively?

I'm not sure if my computer can handle this much botnet.

>>53907067
>Is nowhere close Office, it has it's upsides but the UI alone is pure outdated cancer.
Do you want an Office program or do you want a fancy UI experience?

Besides, last time I used it I didn't really see anything wrong with the UI. Better than Microshit's “ribbon” garbage.

>Not even the same type of software as PS.
Yes, Krita is FOSS and PS is proprietary. :^)

>>53907101
>Same as happened with directx 10 being exclusive to vista. Most games still worked just as well in directx 9 for years and years.
The problem with compatibility is that it's not just about compatibility, it's about getting the prime experience.

Sure, even games today still have DirectX 9 support, but for that to work you generally need to turn off most of the upper-end graphical features because the shaders require features only available in newer DirectX versions.

What makes you think the same won't happen with DirectX 12? Given the freedom of choice, I see no reason why you should pursue the *ideal* experience over the legacy / backwards compatibility compromise.
>>
>>53907183
>I assume you mean keeping around both a Windows 7 gaming partition and a Windows 10 gaming partition, for DirectX 11 and DirectX 12 games respectively?
>I'm not sure if my computer can handle this much botnet.
I mean that more towards game devs and hardcore gaymers who don't have a linux partition at all. My problem with DX12 is the same problem I have with the UWP apps. It's vendor lock-in of the worst kind.
>>
>>53907218
>It's vendor lock-in of the worst kind.
But DirectX has always been vendor lock-in of the worst kind, I don't see how this is really any different.

Microsoft already pays GPU driver companies to intentionally shaft their OpenGL-on-Windows drivers, and probably also some game companies to use DirectX over OpenGL.

There really is no moral difference between DirectX 11 and DirectX 12, they're the same garbage.

If we as the end user want to play games, we need to submit to their bullshit.
>>
>>53907276
Sorry, should have been more specific. It's worse than previous DirectX versions (including 10) because it's locking people into Windows 10, which, even if you don't believe all the spying crap, is still a giant advertising platform disguised as an OS. I mean, they assign every install an advertising ID just so they can track your behavior and feed you ads. They frequently recommend apps for you to install on your start menu. It's one thing to do that on a web page but building it into the OS is just plain sketchy as heck. And they're trying to corral everyone into it with forced upgrades and the carrot-and-stick approach of limiting DirectX 12 to it. One thing would be bad but not terrible, but all of this together is definitely terrible.

But overall, yeah, if we want to play games we need to play by their rules. Hopefully someday that will stop being the case, but we're not there quite yet. I think the day is coming, though. 25% of all steam games on Linux and all that.
>>
Win7 has the botnet backported, so no difference.
>>
>>53907477
At least on Win7 you can block the updates with the botnet. On Windows 10 you have no choice in what updates you receive, either all of them or none of them.
>>
File: 1457792893950.webm (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1457792893950.webm
1 MB, 320x240
Oh look, it's this thread again, full of 15 year olds.
It does not fucking matter, every version sucks, 10 is just as fine and tandy, faster then 7, plus better support for the future then 8.1
>>
>>53907518
>faster then 7
>>53906420
looks like someone fell for the botnet
>>
File: 1451291022635.jpg (105 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1451291022635.jpg
105 KB, 500x400
>>53907534
>faster then 7
On a capable PC, graphics wise it's faster, done benchmarking myself with different gfx cards, you can also google and see the results of other people.
Related to some driver shit with the updated kernel.
>>
>>53907465
Who cares about the spying crap etc. when you have it airgapped or behind a hardware firewall to only allow connections to, say, gog.com and nothing else?
>>
For a desktop I'd go with 10, but it eats more resources than 7 so I use 7 on muh dankpad

Nothing ostensibly wrong with 10
>>
>>53907828
For low functioning autists like me there's nothing standing between windows 10 and the rest of the world other than the fact that I never actually boot into it these days. All my gaymes either WINE well or are native. Only exception is MGS: V and that got old after I beat the main story.
>>
>>53906263
Thanks, great to know about that script for Win 7. Hopefully someone will make something for Win 10 that blocks all the botnet before to long.

I'm really still not sure which to choose. With how Windows 10 is, would I be more likely to be caught for pirating things?
>>
>>53908203
>WINE
Doesn't this just support DirectX 9?

Usually that means the graphical effects are crippled.
>>
>>53908516
You're right, but in my case it's that's only a few games which are a little older anyway. The games I have that do support DX11 (besides MGSV) also support linux natively and OpenGL.

I should probably point out that my collection is pretty small compared to most people's, and in recent years I've mostly bought games that supported Linux or WINEd well. Dishonored, a lot of 2K Games' stuff, the entire BioShock series, 5089, Hand of Fate, Crypt of the Necrodancer, and Metro: LL. That's basically all the games I play at least occasionally, and they all either run incredible well in WINE and don't support anything above DX9 or are native and run with OpenGL.

I wouldn't suggest linux-primarily gaming for people who have massive collections of mostly windows-specific games that support DX11, though, since like you said it'd cripple the graphics.
>>
If you're using Windows for gaymes just use Windows 10 for DX12 and Xbone games. Windows 7 fags are annoying as fuck, if you really care about privacy or muh botnet you shouldn't be using Windows in the first place. (Or most internet shit in general.)
>>
>>53908212
Probably not. But Win10 has been messing with some software. There have been reports of deleted/uninstalled software without the user's consent. I don't know if it only does that to pirated stuff.
>>
>>53909049
Supposedly it's just for programs that are labeled as "incompatible". For example, speedfan and anything that depends on parts of speedfan, like speccy are all uninstalled during updates. Microsoft says they cause bluescreens for some people, but it's incredibly annoying for the vast majority of people who have no problem. I'm not even sure there are people who have a problem.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.