[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best language to learn first?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 2
File: 1459688352914.jpg (145 KB, 624x950) Image search: [Google]
1459688352914.jpg
145 KB, 624x950
What is the best language to learn first?
>>
english
>>
>>53900553
no
>>
chinese
>>
>>53900573
buthurt frog
>>
qbasic is the foundation of all modern languages so you should learn it first
>>
Scheme with SICP
>>
Rust
>>
Pascal
>>
Obfuscated perl
>>
>>53900537
english
>>
>>53900537
>I've never programmed before, and I wanna make something interesting as quickly as possible
Python

>I wanna do web stuff
Javascript. If you do web stuff you'll have to learn it anyway.

>I want the DIY experience, do nuts-and-bolts stuff
C

>I don't care, just want a job
Java, or Javascript, see above.
>>
>>53900763
this is extremely good advice, OP
>>
japanese

become a weeb
>>
>>53900939
>python
>good advice
I'm not that sure. Python have a shit syntax, things aren't explained very well and OOP is garbage.
>>
>>53901073
>Python have a shit syntax
You wot
>>
>>53900537
Do you want to learn top-down or bottom-up?
>>
Start learning what you plan to use in the end.
If you don't have a plan, I would suggest a compiled language because modern compilers are good teachers.
Using something like C++ with all warnings turned on will beat you into submission and make you a better programmer.
>>
File: 1406073092511.jpg (67 KB, 468x466) Image search: [Google]
1406073092511.jpg
67 KB, 468x466
>>53901133
>significant whitespace instead of braces
I seriously hope your language doesn't do this.
>>
>>53900537
programming language
>>
>>53901206
Are you implying that is a problem?
Everyone makes the code readable anyway, so forcing them to do something they already do is not a bad thing.
>>
>>53901073
Python may have a shit syntax but it's a powerful and easy-to-use scripting language. That said, it's got lots of faults, and anyone using it should try to grow out of it at some point.

If you want advice OP, listen to >>53900763
>>
>>53900553
this desu senpai

this is the basis for programming, not even kidding
>>
>>53901206
>implying you don't have to use whitespace on brace languages for readability anyway
>>
>>53901272
Hard tabs have a different meaning than the equivalent number of spaces in Python.

This means that two programs that are at first glance perfectly identical may actually be completely different. In most text editors, one hard tab is by default indistinguishable from 4 spaces. In, for example, C or java, neither mean anything, so to the compiler both types of whitespace are irrelevant.

But in python they would change the function of the program. You call that readable?
>>
Don't listen to these fags.

Common Lisp is the one true language.
>>
>>53901418
I would be a lisp fan if it had good static typing.
>>
Smooth sailing so you can actually starting making things: Python
Best for computer science education: Racket
Learn more about how the machine works on a lower level: C
>>
>>53901388
stop using shit text editors, dude
>>
>>53901418
Common Lisp is like that really powerful high-tier fighting game character that is crazy difficult to play as both on an execution level and on a tactical level.
>>
If I'm a lazy nigger and want to automate my shitty office job tasks, what language should I learn?
>>
>>53901388
That's a non-issue as long as you are consistent and don't mix tabs with spaces in the same script.

Also, most IDEs and text editors and just replace tabs with spaces on the fly, so that's makes your point completely irrelevant
>>
>>53901491
U better not be talking shit about vim
>>
>>53901418
fuck off academia. you have no bearing in the practical world.
>>
>>53901388
I don't write python, so didn't knew it was a problem.
You should force everyone you work with, to use the same as you, just like on any project.
If you work with people who is too stupid to understand a coding standard, you should just cut them out of your life, they can only drag you down.
>>
>>53901520
Python and Bash
https://automatetheboringstuff.com/
>>
>>53900537
japanese then chinese

chinese is way easier this way youll thank me later.
>>
>>53900537
java

dont listen to obese neckbears vouching for obscure stuff that isnt used in the real world
>>
>>53901522
>Also, most IDEs and text editors and just replace tabs with spaces on the fly, so that's makes your point completely irrelevant
Actually, it strengthens my point because that makes it easy to accidentally insert spaces when you want a hard tab.

I reckon that hard tabs are the thing that keeps Python from being used in many professional contexts.
>>
>>53900537
Don't listen to this (>>53901583) boring pragmatist.

Listen to this (>>53900763) frood.
>>
>>53901625
Why would you use hard tabs for anything besides indentation in the first place?

I honestly fail to see what's the problem here
>>
>>53900537
Don't use any crap with dynamic typing like Python, Ruby or some other shit invented for retards who don't have an ability to use their brains. You can start with C -just to understand value types(structures) and then move to Java or C# -they are pretty good for begginers, also regarding Java, you can use it for the Android development- it's pretty easy and will give you some grasp about HTTP, web and etc.
>>
>>53900537
it's to peaceful here, let's start a flame war!
>>
What's a good (programming) language for someone with ADHD?
>>
>>53901687
Soft tabs, i.e. 4 spaces. This is preferable because a hard tab will take up a different amount of space depending on the configuration of the program being used to view the text file. This might cause text that displays fine in one editor wrap or run off screen in another. On the other hand, 4 spaces will always be 4 spaces, and this combined with the standard of no more than 80 monospace characters per line will mean that your text should never wrap when you don't want it to.

I have vi configured to automatically insert tabs as 4 spaces when I press the tab key, unless I manually escape it. I always use soft tabs, so that works fine for me, but if I used Python it would be a big deal and I would have to do a lot more fiddling.

>>53901720
You ignore the above paragraphs, Python is still a good start for any newbie, and probably doubly so for you. Just don't let it become a crutch.
>>
>>53901903
>vi
ayyyy

Also most non-shit editors come configured to automatically replace tabs with 4 spaces when working with a python file, so unless you are working with a retard using a shit or poorly configured editor, that shouldn't be a problem
>>
>>53900537
Indian, it guarantees that you and your colleagues are on the same page
>>
>>53900763
This is good, but to add...
>I want to learn the fundamentals
Scheme
>I want more than just the fundamentals
Haskell
>what I really want is a PhD
Coq
>>
>>53901969
>Forgetting caste
Dalit as fuck
>>
>>53900537
>Thinly veiled image to make weebs kill themselves
I like your style
>>
Darksouls programming learning experience:
First up:
LISP.
let me say that again: LEAN IT SHIT PILE.

2. Once you learned that, store it for later and pick up some decent C skills. C stands for COCK in your mouth and ass and is the programming language you need ultimately need to face or at least read anyway.

3. Now that you can take the small one, take the BIG one aka C++. While your at it learn some motherfucking OOP object-oriented-programming or Obey-Or-Pray slut.

4. Now that you can code like a good little bitch from the 8/90s, jump right past java/net/python/ruby and all that motherfucking trash-people garbage collected shitty bullshit ,that got popular in the naughtiest, don't go over go and jump into straight into rust. Its here so you pick up some functional programming concepts. you can always go back to C++ 11/14/17 if you wish later but its easier to pick that shit up in a language designed for it.

5. Once you mastered all of those 4 motherfuckers, in a year, rust might be up to snuff and you can code some decent shit with it. Or you can go to a hardware company and show off your low level skills. Trust me shit pays.

If you fail at any of these steps you will have to put up a white collar and whore yourself out to do some java/net/js work and slave away writing some word/excel/sql automation out there.

Good luck.

Optional bosses:
-learn to code with vim
-learn to do testing and tdd (test-driven-development/take-double-dicks)
-get a white phantom along the way to do someone pair-programming and show you the way. if he tries to teach you any garabge-collected shit hes a red phantom in disguise and should be killed immediately
>>
>>53901978
well of course executives get their own designated shitting street while the rest share with the animals
>>
>>53902160
cringed desu
>>
>>53900537
Bottom-up: Assembly then C.
Top-down: JavaScript or Python.
>>
>>53900537
>i just wanna write some programs
python

>i wanna write programs and learn about the computer they run on
c

>i want to learn java
indian
>>
>>53900553
came here to say this
>>
>>53900537
I think the best way is learn about paradigm

specially functional(Go) and object oriented(C++)
>>
6502 assembly
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.