[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Switching from Windows to Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: screenFetch-2016-04-06_18-46-17.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-04-06_18-46-17.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Hey /g/,

Yesterday I decided that I don't want to use Windows anymore.
So I did the following:
>List of software I frequently use
>Is software compatible with linux?
>If not, searching for alternatives
>Found everything
>Migrating from OneDrive to Dropbox
>Installing Ubuntu (for starters)
>Disabling all Botnet activity
>Begin installing prefferred software
>Everything works
>Jacking off to it

Why haven't you switched to Linux yet?
>>
>>53900241
why would i?
>>
>>53900241
No adobe suite: I need after effects.
>>
>>53900294
Buy a Mac
At least it's UNIX based
>>
Gaming desu senpai. Wine doesn't cut it for running Windows only games.
>>
Gaming desktop is windows. Work pays me to use windows. Laptop arch, tv mint, wife mint.
>>
>>53900241
>Why haven't you switched to linux yet?

Why the fuck would I want to do that to myself? I would rather masturbate with a sandpaper glove than adopt an OS that literally is designed and intended for idiots who want to feel elite while they struggle to do even the most basic shit.

Hey you are aware linux is not technology right? It does not belong on /g/. You should take this thread elsewhere.
>>
>>53900241
>Why haven't you switched to Linux yet?

Windows works completely fine for me whilst also letting me utilise hardware I paid good money for.

On Linux (last tested 3mo ago) it still cannot, after 6 years of me trying, even do the most basic shit like suspend and resume reliably. It's hardly suprising that being completely free of price even after 20 years it has desktop market-share of 1.5% there are so many bugs and niggles that some autist online has you open a 1980's TTY emulator to "fix" things.
>>
>>53900408
> uses the term "literally" wrong
> calls other people stupid

Just end yourself senpai
>>
>>53900351
Stop supporting shit developers then.

>>53900408
gr8 b8 m8

>>53900409
Sounds like you're fucking up, since suspend/hibernate and resume works fine on my desktop and laptop. Maybe you shouldn't blame the OS for you being stupid.
>>
>>53900241
You disabled all botnet but then signed up for dropbox? Really?
>>
>>53900446
How was literally used incorrectly?

>White teenager uses the word senpai

So that right there lets us all know the type of sheets you have on your bed. Whats her name?
>>
>>53900464
>Sounds like you're fucking up
Typical useless gnu luser brain fart. Works flawlessly OOTB on Windows.
>>
>>53900493
Works flawlessly OOTB on my machines as well. Still sounds like you're just retarded.
>>
File: 1418503673484.jpg (202 KB, 717x880) Image search: [Google]
1418503673484.jpg
202 KB, 717x880
>>53900491
>doesn't know about the word filters
>>
>>53900478
Well I do need some kind of cloud. I'm planning to install ownCloud on the long run.
But I don't want to rent a vServer or something.
Maybe I'll buy a raspberry pi or something

BUT
My files are encrypted using cryptomator
>>
>>53900241
Enjoy, I guess. I did the same few months ago after realizing that I'm not using Windows partition at all. Use whatever works for you and don't force it on others.
>>
there's actually only one person that shills linux distros on this entire board, also is slightly masochistic
>>
>>53900464
Sorry, didn't know Bethesda was shit senpai.
>>
>>53900520
Naw that's cool junior. I am pretty sure I been around here longer than you.

>mfw when I have no reddit account nor frequent the site.
>>
>>53900518
God for you?
Google search shows 60,000 less results for linux (834,000 total) not waking from sleep than windows not waking from sleep.

Considering Windows has 90% market share and Linux 1.5% I have a feeling it doesn't work for a lot of people on Linux and not me being stupid. The sooner you freetards pull your head out your ass and realise problems so you can fix them is the day GNU/Linux isn't cancer.
>>
>>53900564
Just go back to whatever subreddit you came from and stop trying so hard, you're trying way too hard desu senpai.
>>
>>53900569
>Google search shows 60,000 less results for linux (834,000 total) not waking from sleep than windows
So you're literally agreeing that it's your own retardedness, since there's less results on it not working on a Linux based system

>>53900569
>Considering Windows has 90% market share and Linux 1.5%
Nice try, but Linux is actually dominating the tech world if you count all devices, not just normies on the desktop. Maybe get a job in IT and realize how much stuff runs on GNU+Linux.
>>
>>53900564
I remember first visiting reddit (it was some AMA ) after a decade of browsing 4chan. Holy fuck I don't get how people find it usable. 4chans format is far better, at least for me.
>>
Welcome to the side of Light, OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghYKsPz9hOo
>>
>>53900554
>implying it isn't
>>
I switched to linux 16 years ago, Anon-kun, when I given my first computer, which came with Windows Millenium Edition.

What took you so long?
>>
>>53900607
I wish I had a reaction folder for this, he counts cash registers running SUSE Linux

K E K
E
J
>>
File: Cat1352810943606.jpg (25 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Cat1352810943606.jpg
25 KB, 400x400
>>53900351
qemu with vga passthrough bruv
~3% performance loss
>>
>>53900409
>even do the most basic shit like suspend and resume reliably

echo mem > /sys/power/state

lol
>>
>>53900607
I thought you were a troll/shill and know I know for sure.

>So you're literally agreeing that it's your own retardedness, since there's less results on it not working on a Linux based system
Nice taking it out of context, or maybe your frontal lobe isnt developed enough to process a whole paragraph at a time.

Windows = 90%
Linux = 1.5%
The fact Linux has 830k results compared to Windows 890k results is something to worry about.

>Nice try, but Linux is actually dominating the tech world if you count all devices, not just normies on the desktop.
Ah yes, when talking about linux desktop and loosing fall back on "muh servers, muh supah computers!". We're talking about DESKTOP.

Trolls like you are the reason Linux desktop will continue to fail for eternity. Btw I wont be replying further so feel free to go all out out, you'll get a gold medal at the retard Olympics if you carry on like this.
>>
>>53900314
Based Unix
>>
>>53900670
Most cash registers actually run an old version of Windows. You'd know this if you did your research.

>>53900693
>Fuck he's right, let's call him retarded and bail out before they find out I'm an idiot.
>>
>>53900595
Trying hard? I understand that a typed sentence or 2 is a lot of effort to a person like yourself, but really, no effort really for me to type. You perhaps should take better care of yourself. Who knows, maybe your dad won't hang his head in shame anymore with the realization he spawned a little faggot who wishes he was a little Asian faggot.

ホモ 先輩 ;)
>>
>not interested in spending time making the OS work
>enjoy gaming in my free time
>sketchy video driver support
>no DX12
>Adobe Suite not currently supported
>unfamiliar
That's about it. I've used Linux before but I've never stuck with it for one reason or another.
>>
Because the case you've outlined is here is that you're over the moon because you managed to get nearly all the things you had working on Windows working on Linux. Where's the benefit? The shit already worked.
>>
>>53900564

holy shit, haha wow
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-06-13-41-10.png (295 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-06-13-41-10.png
295 KB, 720x1280
>>53900728
>old version of Windows
> doesn't say which or any sources

try harder

Gotta love captchkas
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.