[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long before USB replaces all other ports?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: 109530479_e038cd8aa5.jpg?v=0.jpg (117 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
109530479_e038cd8aa5.jpg?v=0.jpg
117 KB, 500x377
How long before USB replaces all other ports?
>>
Right before everything goes wireless electricity and fiberoptic.
>>
As soon as everyone starts using USB-C and USB 3.1
>>
>>53900250
They can't even pick one standard and you expect them to win? Might as well go lightening jack.
>>
>>53900321
Form factor and protocol are two different things you dolt
>>
>>53900321
That's not two different standards you retard. One is a speed, one is a connector type.

Also, most new Ultrabooks use a USB-C connector type as a Lightning port, offering the best standardization.
>>
>>53900321
I understand what you're saying unlike the idiots above. But 3.1 was made as an upgrade while still being able to be used on older devices. USB-C is for smaller form factor. So both were needed.
>>
>>53900123
As soon as Apple dies along with their line of propriety everything.
>>
7 weeks and 2 days
>>
>>53900590
The future seems to be either wireless or fiber plus power, so I'm not sure why they just don't do the later and stop the madness. Though until fucked up big on thunderbolt, hence why lightening exists in the first place. Now we have firewire 1.2 (lightening), usb c, usb 3.0, usb 3.1, etc.
>>
>>53900793
>until
Intel
>>
Serial and parallel ports are still in use on industrial machines
>>
>>53900833
That's mostly because backwards compatibility, tho
>>
>>53901156
>>53900833
serial > paralell >>>>>>>>>>> usb
>>
I hope never. USB is a fucking meme. It needs to die. It’s even dangerous now that BadUSB is discovered and can never be fixed.
>>
Hopefully never
>>
>>53900123
the first of never
>>
Never because of legacy, and it's a good thing.

I installed a B150 motherboard and alos installed Windows 7 afresh. Basically Windows didn't have drivers for the USB controller and I had to buy a PS/2 mouse/keyboard for $20. Whatever, I guess they use less power too. The only way in which motherboards are 'moving on' is by manufacturers (e.g. ASUS) making motherboards with single, uh, sort of hybdrid ps/2 ports that accept both a keyboard and mouse, which is odd because they can instead get money from people buying a KVM switch using a single PS/2 port. But it's nice to have anyway. The answer is not anytime soon.
>>
>>53901427
>The only way in which motherboards are 'moving on' is by manufacturers (e.g. ASUS) making motherboards with single, uh, sort of hybdrid ps/2 ports
There are plenty of motherboards that have no PS/2 at all
>>
>>53901456
Well I sure do hope the OS the user plans to install has the right set of drivers then. Otherwise it's useless.
>>
>>53900123
USB is bad actually

completely comprisable and the thing falls apart easily

thunderbolt or firewire, even esata is better
>>
How many different versions of USB are there meanwhile?

Coming up with a standard called "universal standard" and then not making it universal it's like the most retarded crap ever.
>>
>>53901503
Normally you can add drivers from a CD, there was one time when I was installing Windows 7 and it didn't have USB drivers nor the DVD drive driver
>>
>>53901380
>USB is a meme
Would you fucking off yourself already?
>>
>>53901604
Aren't meme technologies popular yet shitty? Because that's exactly what USB is.
>>
>>53900250
>USB-C
Nah, keep that shit on tiny devices.
>>
>>53900605
Apple is starting to switch to USB-C now. They made their new macbook have only one port so they can force manufacturers to make USB-C accessories.

The iPhone 7 and 2016 macbook pro retinas will probably use USB-C.
>>
>>53901949
It will be nice to use the same cords to charge your laptop and your phone.
>>
>>53900123
What other ports are even left for day-to-day use?
- DVI/HDMI/DP
- ???
>>
>>53901596
You wouldn't have a working mouse or keyboard though. In your case it's pretty easy, just use your phone as a fileserver or make a network share.
>>
>>53901949
Why?
>>
>>53902113
This computer had a PS/2 port so it was okay
>>
>>53900123
Never, the economics of different ports and cables will almost necessitate the use of specific ports and cables.

It'd be pointless for a data center to use a more expensive port, and cable that has to match with every single standard of a universal port, when it only needs data transfer capabilities, and can cut costs down for cables and ports to a fraction of the cost.

>>53902098
consumer tech I can see using universal ports, but remember consumer tech only makes up a fraction of overall tech market.
>>
>>53902019
>iPhone 7
Doubtful

>MBPr 16

Probaby only one port for charging if they want to go down that route, with USB-A for the rest.

Though, to be honest, a USB-C only (3.2 with Thunderbolt 2+ speeds?) future would be pretty fucking nice. One cable for displays, peripherals, power, etc.
>>
>>53902019
No way. The reason they used USB c on the MacBook was because it wasnt a standard anyone used yet. The'll never use USBc on the iPhone, that would be using a standard. Apple hates standards.
>>
>>53901322
parallel for real-time applications
i just figured that out while reading up on linuxcnc
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.