[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
openSUSE love thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: OpenSUSE_Logo.svg.png (89 KB, 2000x1433) Image search: [Google]
OpenSUSE_Logo.svg.png
89 KB, 2000x1433
So why aren't you using openSUSE?

- choice of stable Leap that's better than Ubuntu LTS and rolling Tumbleweed that's better than Archlinux
- great and helpful community
- unique cooperation between community that does what it wants and corporate sponsorship that gives long term funding for the project
- uniquely great infrastructure
- superior mascot

Why aren't you using it?
>>
>>53899133
>Opensuse tumbleweed
>Better than ArchLinux
TOP KEK
>>
>>53899133
/Thread
>>
>>53899276

Do they have such a powerful testing tool like OpenQA?

No. Therefore, Tumbleweed is clearly superior.

I'm also pretty sure that openSUSE pushed things like GNOME 3.20 faster than Arch.
>>
File: opensuse.png (95 KB, 547x435) Image search: [Google]
opensuse.png
95 KB, 547x435
>>
Because fuck Zypper
>>
>>53899370

It's very powerful package manager. Unlike apt of whatever Fedore uses, I never had problems with it.
>>
>>53899430
Zypper is good but dnf is better
>>
I'm pretty sure now that there's hired novell shill on /g/. These threads appears regularly, always in the same style. Now that i said that, he will probably try to change tone in the next ones
>>
>>53899133
If you are on tumbleweed try running: "sudo zypper in scilab" and then see how shit tumbleweed truly is
>>
I always choose the distro that give me the least amount of headache. I enjoy using newer versions of software, so Tumbleweed was the only interesting version of openSUSE as leap 42.1 is even behind the latest Fedora (even a bit behind the latest Ubuntu?). The problems I've had with openSUSE:

- Nvidia proprietary drivers is a hassle in tumbleweed, no dkms support in Tumbleweed apparently.
- YaST is too slow for my tasting. I know you aren't forced to use it but it is one of the major selling points of openSUSE.
- YaST started out with spouting a lot of errors when I tried it last time. Could not for example install any new packages without using zypper.

I like the openSUSE community in regards to the one-click installs and build service they provide, as well as their wiki.

It always comes down to the small things in my case. So I'll stick with Fedora for now as it has given me the least amount of trouble in the past.
>>
>>53899133
I hate yast and the whole system
>>
>better than ubuntu LTS and arch
People who use ubuntu LTS do it because they want compatibility with old as fuck shit. (I am one of them)
For them, you have to do more work if you want to use opensuse. (I might try it on my desktop if I decide to switch again).
>better than arch
Arch is still the most user friendly distro there so I doubt the experience is better for personal use.
>community
I prefer good documentation to nice people, but if a lot of people works on fixing things, that might be good.
>great infastructure
Not sure what excactly you mean, but they are making a lot of great technologies.
You can use those great technologies on any distro though.
>superior mascot
really don't care.
The uptime funk video was a fun marketing thing though.
>>
>>53899133
>better than Arch.
No.
suse was my first distro. and i returned to it again after trying several other distros in my gnupluslinux journey.
>>
>>53899344
>Do they have such a powerful testing tool like OpenQA?
Do you have the AUR?
>>
suse with reisferfs
it was the bee's knees back when I was starting with linux
>>
>>53899133
>- choice of stable Leap that's better than Ubuntu LTS and rolling Tumbleweed that's better than Archlinux
Debatable and a bold statement without any proofs. Leap was a very neat idea. But had poor execution.

>- great and helpful community
more bold statements on things that aren't measurable at all

> unique cooperation between community that does what it wants and corporate sponsorship that gives long term funding for the project
very unique, considering that redhat
>did it earlier
>does it with much more success

>- uniquely great infrastructure
bold statements without examples

>- superior mascot
Should I be surprised that the shittiest argument you could come up with is also the only one which is somewhat remotely close to truth?

openSUSE:
>uses pulseaudio, following fedora
>uses systemd, following fedora
>had the /usr/ merge, following fedora
>introduces fedora packaging guidelines, following fedora
>uses rpm, just like fedora (but with a shittier package manager)
At this point ask yourself a question:
Why wouldn't I just use Fedora if memeSUSE ends up doing the same fucking thing.
>>
>>53899133
I was using tumbleweed. Zypper decided to an hero during an update so I couldn't update or install new packages. Posted for help on the suse forums and they said they cant help with tumbleweed. Moved on to Kubuntu and I haven't looked back.
>>
>>53899133
I would use Tumbleweed but I have the same issue with my system locking up that I had with Manjaro
>>
>>53899133
Tried installing, doesn't work. Some shit.dll fails to install.
>>
yast feels bloated as fuck and i hate it
>>
>>53899276
>top kek
have you even tried it before?
>>
>>53900344
it's attachmate now
>checkmate wiseguy.
and no SUSE is not a corporate meme like Canonical
>>
I use openSUSE LEAP w/ XFCE4 on my desktop and my T420. It's awesome.

My only issue is I still have to dual-boot Windows 7 for gayming because I use AMD. RIP.
>>
Fuck Yast seriously. It's like having 2 settings centers. That's ridiculous.
>>
>>53903820
>>>53900344
>it's attachmate now
>>checkmate wiseguy.
actually, it's MicroFocus now
>>
>13.2, Leap, Tumbleweed
All running great on machines of mine.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.