[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/ if you truely believe in free and open source software why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
/g/ if you truely believe in free and open source software why are you still using 4chan. the code for the site is not open source and there is no reliable way to find out the hardware, os and language used on the back end.

>Freetards on suicide watch
>>
>>53898626
>not running on my machine
>>
>>53898670
even still why support something proprietary when there are free and open source alternatives to 4chan.
>>
>right click
>inspect element
There, I just open-sourced the 4chan web code for you, kid. You can thank me later.
>>
>>53898626
>the code for the site is not open source and there is no reliable way to find out the hardware, os and language used on the back end
The proprietary code isn't running on my machine and thus doesn't concern me.

Fuck off newfag
>>
>>53898722
/thread
>>
>>53898716
thanks bro, just open sourced google. want curry?
>>
>>53898716
>web code
>not the back end
who dropped you on the head

>>53898722
you are still actively supporting the use of proprietary software. even if it is not run on you machine you are encouraging others to continue the use of proprietary software.
>>
>>53898821
Everything that runs in my browser on 4chan is open source, modifiable, and distributable.
I am not encouraging anyone to do anything by running it. The only person running closed source code is Hiro, and he will continue running it regardless of whether or not I use it. If you're referring to other users, then I am not encouraging them to do anything either, and they aren't necessarily running any closed source software by visiting 4chan either.
>>
>>53898775
No thanks Pajeet, I'm nowhere near Redmond
>>
>>53898882
>>>53898821
>Everything that runs in my browser on 4chan is open source, modifiable, and distributable
How about all the copyrighted images being shared?
>>
4chan migration to uchan when? https://github.com/Floens/uchan
>>
>>53898948
>Image runs
>Image
>runs
Just stop posting newcuck
>>
>>53898882
there is an image board that is open (open back end and code is available) by actively supporting this board over that board you encourage other people to develop the web using proprietary software slowly limiting your freedom
>>
I have no an opensource alternative.
>>
>>53898971
Gifs run you cretin
>>
You don't run the backend code on your machine retard. Free software does not apply here.
>>
>>53899014
Gif format is old enough that all of the patents on it have expired. rms doesn't care about artwork he only cares about active content(code)
>>
>>53899006
8 chan is an alternative, their tech board is this board with more freetards. runs freebsd, nginx, php-fpm, some weird open source file system and a fork of some imageboard software that is avalible on git hub
>>
File: trump.gif (2 MB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
trump.gif
2 MB, 360x202
>>53899046
Here is a gif running. Well, more prancing but the principle is the same
>>
>>53899302
Not active code, all of the code is in the encoders/decoders. "Frames" in a gif file are actually just layers, the format was designed to load its layers progressively because it was designed to be streamed over dial up. Over time people took advantage of that progressive loading and used it to make simple animations.
>>
File: 1459708317932.jpg (25 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1459708317932.jpg
25 KB, 720x480
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.en.html

>You may be running nonfree programs on your computer every day without realizing it—through your web browser.

>Many sites still use JavaScript that way, but some use it for major programs that do large jobs. For instance, Google Docs tries to download into your machine a JavaScript program which measures half a megabyte, in a compacted form that we could call Obfuscript because it has no comments and hardly any whitespace, and the method names are one letter long. The source code of a program is the preferred form for modifying it; the compacted code is not source code, and the real source code of this program is not available to the user.

>Silently loading and running nonfree programs is one among several issues raised by "web applications". The term "web application" was designed to disregard the fundamental distinction between software delivered to users and software running on a server. It can refer to a specialized client program running in a browser; it can refer to specialized server software; it can refer to a specialized client program that works hand in hand with specialized server software. The client and server sides raise different ethical issues, even if they are so closely integrated that they arguably form parts of a single program. This article addresses only the issue of the client-side software. We are addressing the server issue separately.

FREETARDS ON SUICIDE WATCH. Get out of my botnet!
>>
>>53899108
No one gives a fuck about that place.
>>
>>53898697
You don't understand the definition.
4chan isn't distributed, licenses only apply to distributed software.
>>
>>53898626
>suicide watch
Can this meme die already? As someone who has actually been on suicide watch, it triggers me.
>>
>>53898882
>The only person running closed source [sic] code is Hiro
Actually, since the code is owned by 4chan, they have the 4 necessary freedoms to do what they want with it. For them, it is free software. This still doesn't matter to 4chan's users, because it's not running on their machines.
>>
File: 1459743977972.gif (771 KB, 400x358) Image search: [Google]
1459743977972.gif
771 KB, 400x358
>>53901004
You had a chance.
>>
>>53899108
>run the program, for any purpose
Can you run the program on their servers, for any purpose? No, you don't even get to run the program at all.
>study the program to learn from it, and modify the program to do what you want
Can you modify the program on their servers to do what you want? No, only the server owners can make changes.
>distribute versions
You can distribute copies or derived works of the available software.

Freedoms 0 and 1 don't apply to networked services. It's not your machine.
>>
>>53899577
https://github.com/4chan/4chan-JS/blob/master/LICENSE
4chan's javascript is BSD licensed. No botnet.
>>
tfw reddit is more open source than 4chan
>>
>>53898626
We believe in free software but we're not nearly as strict as Richard Stallman
Some things are okay (like Photoshop)
>>
>>53902983
>Some things are okay
Speak for you'reself
>(like Photoshop)
Why draw the line there?
>>
>>53903074
>Why draw the line there?
Because it's safe to use whereas Windows actually spies on you
>>
>>53903121
>free software is about safety alone
If that were the case, there'd be nothing wrong with using a 100% botnet-riddled machine if it was disconnected from the internet
>>
The amount of mental gymnastics by ebin /v/eddit kids who just learned the term "open source" is astounding
>>
>>53898626
>the code for the site is not open source and there is no reliable way to find out the hardware, os and language used on the back end.
>hardware and os
>related to code
lmao, the average freetard intelligence right here

also 4chan probably runs on php, as that's what futaba used, and what futallaby, which was based on futaba used.

and 4chan uses a fork of futallaby pretty much
>>
>>53903328
wow i mangled my own post pretty hard

what i mean is that it pretty much went this way
futaba -> futallaby -> yotsuba (or 4chan)
>>
>there is no reliable way to find out the hardware, os and language used on the back end.

https://www.4chan.org/news?all
>>
>>53898626
Do you understand why people support free software? It's not due to the cultural value, but privacy. Not really that complicated. When I use 4chan, I choose to share my IP and choose what data the website is able to obtain. Running a program on your computer that is capable of acquiring data without your consent is completely different.
>>
>>53898626
>lmao I'll troll /g/ ftw

Do we even have janitors here?
>>
>>53903469
/g/ literally doesn't seem to have mods at times

why else do you think BSD threads keep getting invaded by obvious falseflagging freetards?
>>
>>53903469
What can janitors do?
Laat time we heard anything from the mods, there were only 4 of them.
>>
>>53903488
delete threads like this and all the others made by the same /v/tard.
>>
>>53903074
agreed
>>
File: reeeedom.png (2 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
reeeedom.png
2 MB, 1680x1050
freedom's overrated
>>
>>53899663
Not true, the server distributes copies of various web pages.
>>
>>53898626
I don't truely believe in open source and free software.
>>
>>53898626
i feel like the nsa already knows all my info anyways
>>
>>53898993
the same could be said about connecting to the internet which at some hop will use a proprietary OS or protocol to transfer data

As a result you should stop using the internet alltogether
>>
>>53903414
Personally I share your philosophy, it's all about privacy and backdoors to me, but you know you are generalizing here. A lot of autists care about the four freedoms
>>
>>53908150
And just general security auditing of code I guess
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.