[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
latex
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
File: 2000px-LaTeX_logo.svg.png (42 KB, 2000x833) Image search: [Google]
2000px-LaTeX_logo.svg.png
42 KB, 2000x833
how do i get started with latex?
>>
You dont. Use Microsoft Word.
>>
>>53897949
Better off using gimp or just html/css
>>
Just start using it in notepad++ or something, its not really worth it though.
>>
>>53897924
there's a full os for that, emacs.
>>
I have to use Latex for my university papers. I started off following this tutorial https://www.latex-tutorial.com/installation/ using Miktex. It's fine but may require you to install multiple stuff with the Miktex Package manager so you can start using it. The spellchecking could be better, too.

After you have a working installation you should just start off by writing whatever you need to do and google everything. Some stuff is super easy to do, but others requires a bunch of looking up and trial and error. Kinda like any other programming language.
>>
Using LaTeX for anything but publication is full autism.
>>
>>53898098
what should i use instead for notes?
>>
>>53898169
Literally anything. A pen and paper is best.
>>
>>53897924
Write in something more productive and either edit it into LaTeX by hand later, or find some way to compile it.

The thing may produce very professional results, but as a language it is very lacking; debugging even trivial typos in that tarpit will make shell scripts and oldschool Perl look elegant. And don't even get me started on obscure library bugs that only trigger in some situations because someone forgot to escape their identifier names properly.
>>
>>53898196
>flammable
>not backup-able
Yeah, pen and paper are best...
>>
>>53898221
How many pyros and kleptos do you live with?
>>
Honestly, just find/write some template you can use for your primary use case and copy/paste it.

I wrote myself a homework template and a paper template, and I just fill in the blanks. Using a template, latex becomes a lot nicer than Word or other WYSIWYG editors for throwing together something quickly, especially if your work mainly involves science, math, or computing.
>>
I'm a Literature student and I've been considering learning LaTeX because of how much time and focus I lose trying to get my format correct on Word. Shit gets annoying.
>>
>>53898169
Just normal plain text.
>>
>>53898346
Just use plain text and worry about formatting when you're done.
>>
>>53897924
I started recently with latex.
I'd say just use an online editor such as sharelatex or overleaf.

No software bullshit installing with added version control.
>>
>>53897924
Easy
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
>>
>>53898669
Enjoy your botnet...
>>
>>53898169
OneNote
>>
>>53898624
how bout maths?
>>
>>53898232
I'd love to see you archive sticky notes
>>
File: texmakertop_big[1].png (261 KB, 1412x789) Image search: [Google]
texmakertop_big[1].png
261 KB, 1412x789
I like using TeXMaker

I don't like that I have to write another 12k words in it for a report though
>>
File: 1371072746542.png (243 KB, 3600x1300) Image search: [Google]
1371072746542.png
243 KB, 3600x1300
>>
>>53897924
If you are still here OP, the ShareLatex documentation is good for getting started in LaTeX. Just install your system version of TeX and then get TexStudio/Maker and read. Also stackexchange has plenty of rtard question threads to help you along.
>>
>>53898815
Oh, maths.

Pen and paper.

Scan it if you want a back up.
>>
>>53898840
I've got four shades of sticky notes. Only two shades ever contain archival material, a notebook can start from two ways.
>>
I recommend using kile. (K integrated latex environment)
It is a good editor if you like graphical editors.
It comes with features you would expect like autocomplete and spell checking.
It has a nice table of symbols, where you can just click on the symbol and it will insert the name and tell you if you need a package for it.
You can also easily setup how you are building your files and it is a kde application, so changing things is easy.

As for learning latex, just use it.
Start with something simple where it is mostly text and images.
Force yourself to use the defaults as much as possible.
Writing your own settings is not worth the time it takes, so unless you have to, use defaults and learn to love them.
>>
>using anything except command-line compiling and simple text editors to write
cancer
>>
>>53899130
best tool for the job varies a lot for people.
Some like something lean, efficient and optimized for them, other uses a command line editor.
>>
>>53897924
not sure if it is any good but I found this https://www.gnu.org/software/teximpatient/

>>53897949
>>53897979
Better off using plain text.
>>
>2016
>not setting up a build environment with Makefiles for latex so you can compile your documents from within your editor
>>
>>53898859
That's really more of a guide to tex than latex though.
>>
>>53899229
that's because jsmath on /sci/ doesn't support a lot of latex commands
>>
File: Albert_Hoffman_blotter_852549.jpg (1 MB, 1485x1500) Image search: [Google]
Albert_Hoffman_blotter_852549.jpg
1 MB, 1485x1500
>>53897924

> install getoo
> do a 360
> moonwalk backwards into your hand
> fart in hand
> sniff hand
> feel the magic
> bask in the glory
>>
>>53899212
>pdflatex doc.tex
>needing a makefile
>>
>>53899384
my Makefile also runs ghostscript to compress it automatically

and you can have an option that launches a pdf reader after that
>>
>LaTeX was touted as a WYSIWYM system for decades
>people only use WYSIWYG editors no better than MS Word's equation editor
>>
>>53899178
>Updated: $Date: 2016/03/31 20:46:19 $ $Author: djames $
>>
>>53898221
Best way to do notes is to write them during class and retype them after which helps it stick in your brain better.
>>
>>53897924
>find any non-shit template
>use that, write report
>look up things you don't know
got me through 4 years of uni so far
>>
>>53899422
I want the word processors that display pure text, but the formatting is represented by changes in color and backdrop to make a comeback.

Using Word Perfect 5.1 for DOS is pretty comfy.
>>
Who typesets in 2016? Use a semantic language like asciidoc then convert to whatever you want.
>>
>>53897924
Software:
texstudio with full suite

Book:
The Not So Short Introduction to L A TEX 2 ε
https://tobi.oetiker.ch/lshort/lshort.pdf
>>
>zathura
>gvim
>i3wm
ideal way to write tex desu
>>
>>53900049
gvim fucks up displaying and scrolling long lines so you need to split all your sentences to separate lines which is a pain in the ass
>>
File: J9yHRspHmc.jpg (40 KB, 604x465) Image search: [Google]
J9yHRspHmc.jpg
40 KB, 604x465
>>53900049
I have the exact same fucking setup, except I use vim instead of gvim :^)
>>
>>53897924
Attempt to write a document in it. There's loads of documentation and support online, so you'll just hit walls and google things until you learn what you need to know.

In my experience, most things can be solved by including another package that does all the work for you.
>>
>>53900049
>vim-latex
>synctex
>>
>>53900076
0v}gq

After you are done with a paragraph. Splits everything nicely into 80 char wide text. No need to ever manually split text.
>>
>>53897924
Pinch the air out of the tip then just roll it on.
>>
>>53897924
Just start using it.
>>
>>53897924
>how do i get started with latex?
Install literally any editor such as texmaker. My uni offered Winedt so I've been using it but anything will do.

Whenever something doesn't behave as you'd like, Google it.

Literally all there is to it.
>>
>>53898169
Pen and paper helps with memory. I also like Evernote.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.