[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why shouldn't I buy this phone, /g/? I'm not a manchild
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: Silver1_w670_h357.png (330 KB, 670x357) Image search: [Google]
Silver1_w670_h357.png
330 KB, 670x357
Why shouldn't I buy this phone, /g/? I'm not a manchild millennial that needs all the bleeding edge "social meeja" appz, i'm a professional that uses his phone primarily to communicate and do business.
>>
Well for one it's ugly as sin.
>>
Because it's nearly fucking square in shape?

That could not possibly be comfortable or practical.
>>
>>53895909

On the contrary it looks like a great device for productivity. You know .. like phones were before 2007. Productivity devices first, toys second.
>>
Nope, none of my phones looked that retarded back in 2007 either.

Look how fucking awkward that looks.
>>
Looks like it demonstrates a thorough lack of understanding that touchscreen keyboards are substantially faster than thumbpads.
>>
>>53895903
Proprietary sowtware. Which means complete spyware suite.

Instead, buy any phone that's supported by cyanogenmod, and enjoy your superior productivity.
>>
>>53895928
Yeah man computers looked so much better when they all had ugly off-white cases.
Kids these days. They don't know. They missed out.
>>
File: IMG_20160406_123959.png (152 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160406_123959.png
152 KB, 720x720
Do you want honest answers?
I've been using my blackberry Q10 for almost two years

Here's why I wouldn't consider buying another one

Blackberry nearly went bankrupt after the release of their Z series smartphones that were intended to appeal to the facebook normie crowd
Since they their business model shifted HEAVILY from hardware to software services.

And you could say it's okay BUT a while ago they released their first android-based smartphone.
I don't know whether it was considered a success or not (I don't follow) BUT it's a clear sign that they're not interested in pushing the development of BBOS10 further.
I recently got an update, which was nice n shit but the changes were minimal, mostly security stuff, another clear sign that BBOS10 was put in maintenance mode.

RIM already announced that they will not update their android runtime anymore.
Blackberry World (the application store) is a huge failure that gained little to no interest from the outside - it was mostly people just putting unchanged android apks into it.

Also pic related - the most recent update of the facebook application (developed by RIM not facebook) completely removed it.
Now facebook is accessed via the browser with no notifications or chat functionalities.
I'm glad I didn't update.

I've tried passport, it's keyboard is not something I would call comfortable, Q10's and Classic's keyboard are vastly superior in this regard.

Honestly, I will keep it until it falls apart/becomes completely unusable.
But after that I will have to decide between ios and android.

os10 was great. Based on actual unix rtos used in a lot of embedded stuff.
But it's dead, sadly.

ama
>>
>>53896010
I wouldn't say so.

RIM always had the strongest presence in the enterprise.

I remember learning the hard way that RIM doesn't even backup your contacts on their servers, something that most of us think about as a given in smartphones.

And it's the only device I saw which had an actual functionality to POWER OFF the radio module, not just "airplane mode"
>>
>>53895996

No they aren't. I guarantee i'd beat you in a typing contest on this phone vs any glass slab.
>>
>>53896054
What do you use your phone primarily for?
>>
>>53896095
Google is enterprise, but they lead global survaillance. Facebook is enterprise and Microsoft is enterprise.

So what?

You cannot be sure that there are no backdoors unless community has access to source code.
>>
>>53896100
Wow beat me typing? You're cool dude.
>>
>>53896054

I heard there was a way to get Google services on the phone? I want to use Strava but I understand it requires this .. so is there a viable workaround or not? SNAP?
>>
>>53895903
if that was true you'd realize a £10 phone and a small laptop is all you need
>>
>>53896130

>herp YOU'RE retardded not me
>>
>>53896108
I text a lot actually.
That's pretty much the reason why I got a q10 in the first place.
Physical keyboard feels better.

But I do use facebook's chat.
I do use twitter.
And I do use e-mail (btw email support is mint on it)
>>
>>53895903
>i'm a professional that uses his phone primarily to communicate and do business.

Sorry to break it to you but 99% of the applications used in enterprise environment are no longer available for BlackberryOS, if you want to use a hipster OS you migth have some luck with WP (some of them are available for it) but the majority is iOS/Android only
>>
>>53896167

99.999% of business, like small business, don't require specialized "apps". I'd like a phone that doesn't try to distract me with a multitude of useless apps and games.
>>
>>53896203
>don't require specialized "apps"

I'm not talking about specialized apps nigger those you get people to develop for whatever platform you want.

The vast majority of easily available communication and working apps are iOS/Android (and in some cases WP) only.

> like a phone that doesn't try to distract me with a multitude of useless apps and games.

Be a grown up and either uninstall them or ignore them
>>
>>53896203
>I'd like a phone that doesn't try to distract me with a multitude of useless apps and games.
Then don't use them?

OP, it's not like using ios/android/any other operating system REQUIRES from you to use shitty apps and games. Simply don't install them on your device
>>
>>53896239

But that's bulllshit. Whatsapp, Facebook, the two most popular ones, have native BB apps.
>>
>>53896275
Facebook is no longer maintained in blackberryOS and if whatsapp still isi doubt it'll be for very long
>>
>>53895903
Business usually requires you to sync up with other people. Other people will be using normal smartphones with app integration and the like, especially like Slack, Omni, and Office.
Incompatibility makes you highly unproductive, and clients will blame you, forcing you to buy an iPod or a tablet just to keep up.
>>
>>53896010
you know the hardware on cell phones is fucked too right?
>>
>>53896366
Unfortunately...

At least it's a passive backdoor; not sending all of your info proactively (as far as I understand).
>>
>>53896366

all of them?
>>
>>53896304

I just need email faggot. I'm not going to be needing to collaborate in real-time on some cloud server thingy at the 11th hour.
>>
>>53895903
>i'm a professional that uses his phone primarily to communicate and do business

Using dictation on an iPhone is objectively superior to any perceived advantages a physical keyboard might offer.
>>
I never follow smartphone developents but I do know there's a chance they'll release a fully android based passport (i believe they said of the venice moved enough units).

I'll switch to it when that happens.
>>
>>53896751

I'd buy that for a dollar.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.