[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did people forget decades of being told the same advice over
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11
File: privacy.jpg (218 KB, 1436x674) Image search: [Google]
privacy.jpg
218 KB, 1436x674
How did people forget decades of being told the same advice over and over so quickly?

For years, well within the lifespan of a majority of those who use social media, they were told never to reveal personal information online.

Now they all do it, as if they were never told this advice.

What in the human condition is responsible for this?
>>
>>53893958
It's called "my friends did it so I should too!"
>>
>>53893958
People don't actually think for themselves, they just do what others are doing.
>>
It will only be fixed when a wave of identity theft and crime that uses online information as aid.
>>
>>53893958
>How did people forget decades of being told the same advice o
Normal cucks.
Windows 10 is a thing these days
>>
>>53893958
People do as they are told to do by those they trust.

I do it too. I'm equally dumb, I just don't trust Google.
>>
>>53893958
Basically the whole "I have nothing to hide" excuse.
>>
File: QRiOg8A.gif (68 KB, 278x340) Image search: [Google]
QRiOg8A.gif
68 KB, 278x340
>>53896829
as long as there are idiots who think like that, we're going to get more nudes, leaks, and scandals on /b/ desu
>>
>>53893958
I miss it so much.

Maybe it's autism, but I much prefer usernames for online conversation for far more reasons than privacy.
>>
>>53898268
I'm been called weird because I still use my old handle for everything I can.

It really wasn't that long ago that using fake names was the done thing, now it's weird.

What happened? It can't be as simple as "normies," can it?
>>
out of the many many changes made to youtube, i only ever cared about one:
the removal of collections
>>
>>53893958
>What in the human condition is responsible for this?
idiocy
most people are dumb. think about it; statistically half the population has an iq below 100. And everyone with an iq below 120 doesn't even have the capacity for independent thought.
>>
This is probably because the law became more mature and experienced in the online cases, and now average user is more protected, and therefore he can reveal his real name.
>>
>>53898608
Social media companies pushing and requiring it.
>>
>>53893958
This. Been wondering for a while. I mean, I have 2 secure emails, one of them I only acess from tails, mainly use for deep web.
And I am a "nothing to hide" person. My friends look at me weird when I say we should communicate through encryption. I hate the fact that 'they' can read my mail/texts/chat. Even if I have nothing to hide. To me, it is a matter of freedom and privacy. No one want people to read their text. cause it's fucking private.
>>
File: 1337647831809.png (66 KB, 907x1202) Image search: [Google]
1337647831809.png
66 KB, 907x1202
I think it's because people learned that you don't get raped and murdered just because someone learns your real name or home address.

Look at people like Anita Sarkeesian or anyone else that's become the target of an internet hate mob. Threatening calls to their parents or pizzas delivered at their doors is the worst that happens. Hell there's even good money in having the internet hate you now.

Another difference is that in the past you would mostly have contact with complete strangers around the world. The people that spend time online now have most of their contact with the people they already know in RL. Calling yourself xxxsephiroth420 while dealing with your family, friends and acquaintances is silly.
>>
>>53898879
>The people that spend time online now have most of their contact with the people they already know in RL
This bothers me far more than it should.
I understand the value to talking to a family member who's on the other side of the world, but you could do that effectively with Telephones. The internet gave us the chance to make new friends on the other side of the world from the comfort of our beds and we squandered it.
>>
>>53898608
you need to post id to make a facebook now days lol.
>>
>>53898879
That's exactly what I don't get about all of this.

Why talk on the internet to people you know? Use a phone, meet up.

"I'll talk to you on facebook later!" Talk to them now!

The biggest appeal of the internet was (near) instant communication to anywhere in the world. With this "local" social media we're back in the days of only using local BBSs because it's cheaper.
>>
Using your real name means users are less likely to troll, and advertisers can data mine the stuff you see for better targeting as opposed to not being sure who's behind the account. It's a win-win on the business side for doing away with something that could be considered outdated, privacy be damned.
"THE NORMIES" might actually be the cause, since they're probably more comfortable with their real name. They want to see that there are real people behind everything, especially if they see someone they know or someone they know sees them.
>>
>>53899048
I feel like the time is coming where I'll have to delete every account ever made by my old aliases and/or real name. That pretty much boils down to just facebook and google but when im settled in a place where I need nothing other than an email address and a cell phone to communicate with people then I'll be content.

as a college kid who doesn't even have a girlfriend or a full time job yet I need all of this ridiculous neo-social media but I'll drop it the second it's unnecessary
>>
>>53899226
>t I need all of this ridiculous neo-social media

what do you NEED it for?
>>
>>53899237
to appear normie. how did I not imply that? You have to pretend to be normal until you're stable in life. I need to pretend to be normal for job applications. I need to pretend to be normal for gf applications. I need to pretend to be normal until my male privilege comes fully into maturation and I can be as independent and "dad-like" as possible
>>
File: O268DPL.jpg (92 KB, 650x644) Image search: [Google]
O268DPL.jpg
92 KB, 650x644
>>53898608
Mainly because tech caught up now and various large social media sites realized they can make shitloads of money by selling your real information to advertisers and other scummy companies. So now they push you to use your real info and Normie's don't give a shit because honestly 90% of the time it doesn't effect them.
So basically it's Normie's and money, the reason for most problems in this world.
>>
>>53899226
I have a girlfriend and a parttime job, also a college student.
Switched off Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat. Now I officially have no social media presence and am free to do what I want with little worry of it coming back to me (I'm dating 3 girls right now, didn't want them finding eachother through my facebook)
>>
>>53899267
Normies probably also watch a lot of TV. So, having a place with more ads isn't anything new for them.
>>
This thread sounds like all the people from the BBS Documentary talking about the web.
>>
File: ungoogleable.jpg (159 KB, 775x775) Image search: [Google]
ungoogleable.jpg
159 KB, 775x775
>>53893958
I never forgot. I have remained pure. Searching my real name brings up 0 relevant results.
>>
>>53893958
>What in the human condition is responsible for this?
I believe they call it narcissism. It's entirely possible some of these people are being stalked, but the ones who believe they're being group stalked are the funniest. I guess the crushing reality that nobody gives a fuck about them is too much to handle.
>>
>>53899638
Funny how they drew him as a paranoid person, while there's no need for paranoia in the process of remaining private. All you essentially need to do is not share your personal information like a clueless idiot and prevent being stalked by spyware, which comes out naturally if you have some commodity with technology. All in all, its just about basic education.
>>
>>53899065
It's been said that social media regardless of its initial reasons for being made has turned into a petty game of "who has the best life", just always posting passive-agressive shit to try to make everyone else jealous.

It's hilarious to re-meet up with a few of my friends where the other two have facebook and they are seeing each other for the first time in person in a few weeks. With them it's always silence because everything has already been said. It's great to make events to try to keep track of who is coming or not but outside of that every use it has always goes bad and turns negative.
>>
>>53899065
Well for people, it's easier to talk to multiple people on facebook than calling on the phone.

Also you get too see all those videos and shit other people posted while talking to your friends. It's just easier to use for doing multiple things.
>>
>>53899809
We've passed the point of this and more people are on the other side, so if you're not doing what everyone else is doing you must be the weird one. Reminds me of the height of this meme when journalists were saying that if you aren't googleable, you're a terrorist
>>
>>53898794
that is one retarded statement
interconnection of accounts and your rl personal information is like a full take invite to anybody that can get access to one of your accounts

with such stupid shit there is no firewall left between the different personal information you have so enjoy getting your complete persona stolen and no court in the world can protect you from getting butt rapen dear sir
>>
>>53893958
>tfw wanted to never use my real name on the internet unless for business
>faggot family sets me up a Facebook account and uploaded countless pictures of me when I was younger
>family forgot password for it and now it just sits there with all this info about me

At least I don't show up on Google until ~20 pages in
>>
>>53898879
Not really, there is plenty of people who lose their jobs for pissing off vegans, petafgas, SJW or someone dedicated enough to fuck up with them most recently that nintendo girl who lost her job because of /v/.
>>
>>53900163
>because of /v/.
unlikely.
she got fired because shes an idiot who made stupid posts on her twitter account.
>>
>>53893958
Beach ethics.

The same reason no one steals shit on a beach, because if they did, word of mout would travel so fast that everyone gets their say ruined and does a manhunt for the culprit.

Posting your name and number on social media is safe now.
>>
>>53898720
>>Citation WANTED
I`m not challenging you, I sincerely want to know where you got this besides experience. I would be interested in reading that throughly.
>>
>>53900477
I believe what he meant to say is, if you have an "average", then by definition, one half has to be below this average, and the other half has to be above this average.
>>
>>53893958
Now it actually illegal to not use your real info online.

Also for the record I totally agree with you
>>
>>53899094
>means users are less likely to troll
It doesn't really.
It does however make you a more attractive target for trolling (or simple 'revenge' by people who don't like what you've posted.)

The idea that it encourages greater accountability is pretty laughable (while also nightmarish) since instead of "John, stop being a dick" it tends to lead more to either John's dickish post being ignored (or circlejerked) or John receiving laughably disproportionate retribution (i.e. 500 people all saying "John, you're the worlds biggest asshole" plus 10 sending him pizzas, because every single one of them is acting individually instead of thinking "hmm, maybe he's had enough.", and if they do concluding "nah, he's an asshole, he deserves it."

In the old days I'd be inclined to agree that for being silly enough to put his name out, he did bring it on himself - but these days it's hard to blame a normie for doing as a normie does, and very easy to feel sorry for them on the basis a stupid comment from 5 years ago is still leading to random strangers sending them death 'threats' (the credibility of such threats obviously laughable, but still, it's not very nice.)

The worst thing is that the people intervening think they're in the right - John's the asshole. A troll might send you pizzas or photoshop dicks into your profile picture for a while, but eventially they'll get bored and move on. Even Chris Chan received some sympathy from his trolls when his house burned down. You don't get that when people are attacking you "for being an asshole" instead of just trying to get a rise out of you. They won't ever think "I won't get any laughs out of this, this lolcow is all dried up", they'll always think that pointing out a 5 year old comment was bad is a moral thing to do.

Perhaps with time people will adapt, but given how appealing the opportunity to silence your opponents is (Call me a hypocrite, I'd consider making use of it in an argument.) I have some doubts.
>>
>>53898268
It is autism, usernames on the internet put you in control of one of many social images, all easy to manage or refrain from while still getting satisfaction

Do you happen to be excessively awkward or involuntarily practice selective mutism irl?
>>
File: 765h45g.png (426 KB, 552x395) Image search: [Google]
765h45g.png
426 KB, 552x395
>>53899263
No you don't, you silly comfortist. You'll NEVER get anywhere by trying to be something you're not. You're better off doing your own thing and not let peer pressure get to you.
>My male privilege
Are you fucking serious...?
>>
>>53900098
Hope you're not too lazy to steal that account and delete it soon after...
>>
>>53901478
>usernames on the internet put you in control of one of many social images
Honestly, being used to Imageboards this no longer comforts me.
The temptation now exists to ditch a username over any trivial mistake, and as such makes it impossible to open up to anyone and make friends. After all, it's easy to ditch a pseudonym with no real information on it - but if you post that you use a T400 laptop and your favourite game is elite, that narrows things down somewhat. Mention it again and your identities become linked, and people might ask why you abandoned one. I've avoided this latterly by just not using my username much, but that just renders the thing useless.

Worse, the fact I'm aware of this simple ability (the right to vanish) makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong no matter what I do, because it's the kind of thought-process behind a manipulative person, which I don't want to be. (But simultaneously, there's a little bit of manipulativeness in any normal person, so by surrendering anything manipulative, I'd make myself excessively vulnerable as well as incoherent.)

>Do you happen to be excessively awkward or involuntarily practice selective mutism irl?
The former, yes. (Although I can hide how apparent it is quite often by saying nothing instead of risking saying something, among other stupid tricks.) The latter, I don't know. (Because it's hard to tell between "I'm saying nothing because if I say something then people might not like it, but if I say nothing there's nothing to attack. It's a shame because I'd like to say X and get reaction Y" and "I want to say X but I physically can't make myself."
>>
>>53899938
Which makes no sense because terrorists are well represented on social media.
>>
>>53901633
Maybe those are normal people just pulling an elaborate prank, meanwhile the actual terrorists lurk in /wdg/, planning to bring down western society by the medium of a shitty javascript ridden page so bloated that the entire internet is destroyed attempting to transfer it.
>>
>>53900271
>>53900163
Bitch lost her job because she had a second one, that's a nono at Nintendo.
>>
>>53893958
This reminds me that six to ten years ago they had ads on TV and studies that high lighted the dangers of talking on your phone and driving. Then for whatever reason people decided to text and drive.

People are not very smart
>>
File: Screenshot_20160331-133336.png (133 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160331-133336.png
133 KB, 1080x1920
>>53901617
>it's hard to tell between "I'm saying nothing because if I say something then people might not like it, but if I say nothing there's nothing to attack. It's a shame because I'd like to say X and get reaction Y" and "I want to say X but I physically can't make myself."
Wow, my mentality is so similar to yours it's ridiculous.

What's your personality type? I'm an INFP-T
https://www.16personalities.com/
>>
>>53901758
>basing decisions on feelings

I hope your feelings get hurt
>>
>>53899025
I know that feel bro.

Back around the turn of the century I had a large networks of friends I talked to regularly all over the world, who I had never met in person for the most part. Gave me some awesome opportunities for travel, had people to crash with over in Europe, that despite having never met in person before we were great friends and knew each other well and it was amazing.

And now all of that is dead. The internet, formerly an awesome way to make new friends, is now just a fucking echo chamber for whatever banter goes on in your "real" life. So glad I can go on Facebook and catch up with people.... That I see and talk to every fucking day.

The whole attitude of the internet has changed, the internet culture of the 90s is basically dead. And that makes me sad as fuck.
>>
Because most of us aren't pedophiles.
>>
>>53901796
I guess what I'm trying to get at is back then it was more real. Now it's all just the same old superficial shit you deal with in your day to day life... Back then you'd connect with people that you really had things in common with, who you really understood/they really understood you.

Going to a party several states away consisting of a bunch of people who had never physically met each other before but basically knew each other on a real, deep level instead of normal social superficial bullshit is fucking amazing.

God damn social media ruined the fucking internet to be honest. With it's divisiveness and its filter bubbles and bullshit, separating everyone and disconnecting them.

It wasn't norms, plenty of normies back then but being a normie the way it is now wasn't really a thing because you were on the internet and it was different but the internet itself has become a normie I guess.
>>
>>53901758
I can't remember if it's -T or -A, but the coincidence is quite shocking.

>>53901795
I think that literally basing your decisions based on feelings oversimplifies it (not him, but same type) but writing a 2000 character essay on how feelings influence decisions would not be a good idea.

>>53901851
Did you never see to catch a predator? A good number of them had pseudonyms that did nothing for privacy like "JohnSmith1972"
>>
>>53901901
I'm with you on this.

I've become so disenfranchised with the web lately. I've been playing around with bulletin-board systems, newsgroup discussions and gopher lately on my Pi and been having fun online for the first time in ages.

Had a fucking huge discussion (over a period of a week) with a 17 year old on a BBS, with a bunch of other people of all ages who felt the same.
>>
File: 1451322192826.png (99 KB, 1320x784) Image search: [Google]
1451322192826.png
99 KB, 1320x784
>>53901796
>>53901901
>>
>>53902038
He's not wrong, at least in a culturally and racially homogeneous community
>>
>>53902219
It also depends on what kind of culture the community has.
>>
>>53902269
Yes, preferably a nationalist culture or nationalist leaning.
>>53902278
>defend Nazi
>get called a kite

Wew lad
>>
>>53902061
>Had a fucking huge discussion (over a period of a week) with a 17 year old on a BBS, with a bunch of other people of all ages who felt the same.
I'd love to do stuff like this, but there'd be a lingering feeling that this wasn't reality. That I'm just hiding from the terrible world out there.

Which is pretty dumb since it's as real as anything else.
>>
It's really pleasant. The delay between your typing and it posting takes some getting used to but it makes it all a bit slower, more relaxed. Like you're not under any time pressure.
>>
>>53902890
Was meant to be a replay to >>53902586
>>
File: 1439493225684.jpg (35 KB, 385x375) Image search: [Google]
1439493225684.jpg
35 KB, 385x375
>helping out the neighbor's 12 yo kid install one of his steam games
>what's your username?
>firstnamelastname
>riiight and what's your password?
>no idea lol

The future is fucked.
>>
>>53901758
>Wow, my mentality is so similar to yours it's ridiculous
and he types really similar to the way i usually do
perhaps we're triplets (i'm IN/STP)
>>
>>53900098
You should be able to claim that account if you can proof to Facebook it's you.
>>
>want to make a personal site
>domain name registrars all want your name
>don't want to use a fake name because it might get my site taken off me later, however minute the chance.
>can pay extra to hide my whois, but someone could always get into my account with the registrar if they know my e-mail.
>>
>>53898608

>Came up with a short and simple internet handle as an 8 year old
>23 now and still use it for everything

Feels good man.
>>
>>53899924
>, it's easier to talk to multiple people on facebook than calling on the phone.
They could just use Skype
>>
>>53893958
>He doesn't have his FirstnameLastname.com
what a pleb
>>
>>53903753
I realize that my internet handle I've been using for a decade has now been connected to my real name through both facebook and google. I had to make a new one just a few weeks ago for my laptop username and log in. Will carry it in whatever anonymous environments I have to and only post with it from a vpn or proxy
>>
File: 1446069764480.jpg (68 KB, 578x487) Image search: [Google]
1446069764480.jpg
68 KB, 578x487
>>53893958
We have history classes.

Very few remember much from it (including me).

Don't expect humans to remember inconsequential things like protecting their privacy.
>>
>>53893958
Basically you need to be open as possible about your knowlage and building your online persona of you, so normies hire you.
Whole my online persona is build about personal brand that for one landed me job in 3 mager car companies as a webdev/designer.
>>
File: 1383624221763.jpg (30 KB, 326x284) Image search: [Google]
1383624221763.jpg
30 KB, 326x284
>>53904033
>mager
>Whole my online
>>
>>53904033
Thanks for dispelling the 'all web designers/developers are retards' myth
>>
>>53901047
You're confusing 'average' with 'median'
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.