[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where to keep backups for wife?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
My wife has about 900GB of data she keeps in a portable hard drive. Pics, videos etc. important family things and memories.

What do you guys recommend for backup purposes?

I need a nice client, seamless backups, and able to browse the backup file online easily (it's for my wife).

I don't mind paying, just show me good shit senpai
>>
Bump for interest. Just set up a server and have been rsyncing but a GUI or some way to mirror the drive would be nice
>>
File: The_pragmatic_programmer.jpg (22 KB, 378x475) Image search: [Google]
The_pragmatic_programmer.jpg
22 KB, 378x475
>>53893032
Normally my wife's son takes care of this stuff. Ask yours?
>>
>>53893032
>900GB
>family things
>memories
motherless
>>
>>53893032
Just buy a tape reader.
Buy some tape and then stick all the documents in the tape and store it on a waterproof case.

You should also get a NAS for temp storage-
>>
>>53893219
>wife's son
Is everybody a cuck
>>
>>53893032
Buy 4 2tb WD red drives, copy the date to them and store em in 4 different areas. It's what I do but for me it's 100s of hours of security footage from the family business along with digital copy of sales data
>>
>>53893032
Owncloud if you want to view it on a website.
It is really easy to setup, comes with a web interface, and a graphical desktop client so you can select what folders you want synced etc.
Works great on android too, haven't tried on iOS.
It is not good at large files as any changes causes a reupload but it is fine for pictures and static content
>>
>>53893329

Tape is uber expensive and degrades
>>
>>53893032
Simplest thing to do is buy an identical model hard drive and clone.
>>
>>53893032
If Windows - A NAS in RAID 5, 6, or 10, doing VSS snapshots of the machine / drive / whatever

If OSX - A NAS in RAID 5,6, or 10, doing Time Machine or TAR backups

If Linux / Unix - A NAS in RAID 5,6, or 10, doing TAR backups
>>
>>53893445
lolwhat?

Tape (DLT especially) is especially favored for offsite archiving.

DLT4/5's are also fairly cheap now.
>>
>>53893496
Er, LTO 4/5.
>>
>>53893032
Look up setting up a NAS. It's how my wife keeps the video clips she makes with our bulls.
>>
>>53893032

If on Unix, duply + duplicity + MEGA. You can have GPG encrypted compressed differential backups run from a cronjob in the background (use nice and ionice to reduce impact on performance). Also, MEGA has 50 GB for free, so you can try it out and upgrade if needed.

If on Windows, check some ways to use duplicity too. I'm sure there are.
>>
>>53893351
Yeah. What's up with that tolerating of excessive baggage?

Anyway just buy her some cloud storage that is offsite. It just werks.
>>
owncloud on vps + s3, but a nas + glacier is better
>>
>>53893032
Microsoft OneDrive

Google Drive

Apple iCloud

Anything home based is completely retarded.
>>
>>53894806
spot the rajesh
>>
File: 12463612.jpg (30 KB, 720x438) Image search: [Google]
12463612.jpg
30 KB, 720x438
>>53894806
>>
install FreeNAS on anything
>>
First rule of backups is that the number of copies is more important than what the backup is on.

Get two more hard drives and make copies. Store them in different locations, ideally.
>>
>>53894806
trusing clould to never crash
trusing clould with your personal data

retarded?
>>
>>53893547
A female matador? Very brave but I still can't say I support all of the skewering and beating done to the bulls to agitate them.
>>
>>53893032
Backblaze (or how the fuck they are called)
>>
>>53894035
>>53893351
do you guys know what jokes are?
>>
>>53893032
kill her
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.