[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay guys, I'm 18 and got accepted into a pretty decent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: CalculusReadinessBannerImage.jpg (57 KB, 768x256) Image search: [Google]
CalculusReadinessBannerImage.jpg
57 KB, 768x256
Okay guys, I'm 18 and got accepted into a pretty decent school for Comp Sci. The thing is that in order to get my degree, I have to take a shit ton of math classes. I fucking hate anything past pre-calc with a passion. Is Comp Sci not cut out for me? It's not the coding that scares me, it's the math involved for the degree.

Do you guys actually use higher maths in your day to day lives? Am I just not cut out for comp sci?
>>
>>53892092
meth helps.

smoke a lot of if.
>>
Not cut out, drop down to i.t or something
>>
If you aren't good at maths and/or can't learn, you aren't fit for computer science. Maths and computer science go hand in hand.
>>
File: 61e.gif (476 KB, 495x495) Image search: [Google]
61e.gif
476 KB, 495x495
>mfw in almost the same boat
>mfw taken precalc and am in Trig now
>Doing alright so far
I study like 4 hours a week at most for the class, so it's not incredibly crazy.
Also I haven't even started any coding classes as they're at a different campus.

[super secret black text] I just want to do server maintenance and do nothing all day [/super secret black text]
>>
>>53892118
>>53892119

Is this type of math used every day in my career? Or is it like learning calc in highschool (90% of the people that graduate won't need it in life).
>>
File: 1458950352666.jpg (34 KB, 480x374) Image search: [Google]
1458950352666.jpg
34 KB, 480x374
>>53892092
major in info sci. you'll quality for 90% of the jobs as comp sci majors, but do 30% of the work of a comp sci major.
>>
>>53892118
I never see that attitude condoned, how could you defy the wisdom of most knowledgeable and successful people like that
>>
>>53892092
You can program without maths, but maths will certainly make you a more efficient coder.

In reality though, as long as you're not a complete retard you should be fine.
>>
File: touhou-sicp.1332640488573.jpg (85 KB, 400x468) Image search: [Google]
touhou-sicp.1332640488573.jpg
85 KB, 400x468
>>53892092
Computer Science is essentially a branch of mathematics with an EE applications focus. It uses programming as a tool. It develops mathematics that many disciplines use, but especially software developers.
Any serious software development will require a solid grounding in combinatorics and complexity theory. Anything with graphics absolutely requires a great deal of multivariable calc and geometry, diffyQ, and a lot of accumulated experience. Cryptography is a long road paved with number theory and abstract algebra. You will never write even a tiny part of a serious operating system without a firm grasp of optimization. If you only want to work web development or write apps, you're probably fine with a business degree and a CS minor.
>>
>>53892092
CS/Math Double Major here (soon to be CS Ph.D. student)

You should give math past pre-calc a try. I know that Calculus is not for everyone. Just do lots of practice problems and you can make it through. There is an insane amount of material online for Calc I/II/III.

But Calculus is not representative of all higher math. Algebra, for instance, is nothing like calc. It may be more up your alley. Also Combinatorics and Graph Theory are very different subjects which may be offered. All of these have a different feel from calculus. They will be more proof based, but you won't be prone to making simple arithmetic mistakes, and you won't have to memorize 1000 trig identities.

But I do think math is important in a CS degree. Without knowing your school's curriculum, I can't say how important it is for you. But from how it sounds, they are going to make you into a computer scientist, not just a programmer. You're going to learn some fucking algorithms, and that requires math. You're going to learn theoretical cs, and that requires math.

>Do I use it in my real life
I'm not into my real life yet, but I find the reasoning skills gained from math to be super useful.

Do not think that you can't do math. You haven't even tried most branches yet :)
>>
>>53892286
Depends on your career.

You can land an easy corporate programming job, making apps or something, and you won't need math.

If you want to research cs, you'll need to be good at math.

Either way, you probably won't need CS as a computer scientist, but you may get into super low level stuff where you actually need to understand the physics of the device. I don't know. That's more electrical engineering. Or maybe you get to work on some simulation physics code.

Also, I understand that neural networks use gradients, which are from multivariable calc (typically calc III). But you don't need to understand NN's to use them.
>>
>>53892624

>probably won't need calc*** as a computer scientist

typo
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.