[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which DE?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8
File: Environs.jpg (62 KB, 635x653) Image search: [Google]
Environs.jpg
62 KB, 635x653
I'm currently running Xubuntu 15.10, but I've been having some issues lately. One of the bigger ones is Optimus support. It worked fine about a year ago but lately it's been fucking my shit up (no graphical login, X11 wont start, etc). I usually end up having to just reinstall to get back. Since this is the case, I might as well check out something else.
>>
File: klogo-official-oxygen-3000x3000.png (2 MB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
klogo-official-oxygen-3000x3000.png
2 MB, 3000x3000
>>53890909
Right now I'm posting from a Kubuntu Live USB. Not too bad I guess, but I've never been a fan of KDE and as such have never really used it. I've heard quite a few here say it's a buggy mess. What kind of shit did you naysayers run into?
>>
>>53890909
Kubuntu is too bloated and glitzy (it feels they went overboard trying to make it pretty, too many animations, etc.)

I haven't used Gnome in quite a while, but last time I gave it a try I found it to be underwhelming. I tend to prefer more traditional/standard desktop environments.

LXDE is fine, but offers little over XFCE, particularly Xubuntu's flavor of it. If you couldn't run XFCE for some reason (e.g., very old hardware) LXDE would be a solid alternative, however.
>>
File: Lxde-logo.png (91 KB, 551x535) Image search: [Google]
Lxde-logo.png
91 KB, 551x535
>>53890968
I've also run Lubuntu for a few years before I jumped to Xubuntu. While I really liked it, there were always some bugs that seemed to never get fixed. Anyone running a current version have any issues? Perhaps the old bugs are gone, but maybe not.
>>
File: Gnomelogo.svg.png (95 KB, 2000x2428) Image search: [Google]
Gnomelogo.svg.png
95 KB, 2000x2428
>>53891070
I used to be a fan of GNOME2 back in the day, but then GNOME3 hit and I just didn't like how everything was hidden. I'm sure I didn't dig enough to find everything, but I couldn't get into it.
Now that I've used LXDE and XFCE I really don't see the point of even going back to GNOME2-alikes like MATE and Cinnamon.
>>
XFCE XFCE XFCE
XFCE XFCE XFCE
XFCE XFCE XFCE
>>
>>53890968
I've had the display manager segfault a bunch of times during startup, Plasma crash when performing a file search, the task bar freeze when closing a window, programs like KMail just be outright broken, etc. I would still use KDE over GNOME 3, but not much else.
>>
File: arch linux.png (902 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
arch linux.png
902 KB, 1920x1200
>>53891083
I didn't have any glaring problems, per se, when I used it; it just felt like a crappier xfce.

You might want to experiment with different distros or OSs for fun, not just DEs.
>>
>kde
why would anyone that's not a masochist use it
>>
>>53893091
Best DE by far
>>
try MATE
>>
File: vSDsYv3.jpg (643 KB, 4208x2367) Image search: [Google]
vSDsYv3.jpg
643 KB, 4208x2367
Installed KDE to see why everyone shit talks it here so much and my fuck it really is that bad
>>
>>53893091
Because it's the least worst choice.
>>
>>53890909
Openbox with Xfce panel is master race
>>
>2016
>still using and suggesting DE driven by that abomination called X.org
>>
>>53894674
>plasma 5 shut down unexpectedly
>>
>>53894709
This. Surfaceflinger kshatriya caste
>>
File: 1458447494998.png (205 KB, 1280x809) Image search: [Google]
1458447494998.png
205 KB, 1280x809
KDE supreme race reporting in.

gtk slaves can bend over
>>
>>53894728
And even then it's still way better than the bloody diarrhea vomit called Gnome.
>>
>>53894758
Wait
Cucks are still using GNOME?
I thought they abandoned that bullcrap for Cinnamon
>>
>>53890909
I'm using Gnome 3 at the moment, but they changed gdm and I no longer know how to run scripts required for Optimus configuration (the ones that need to be run BEFORE you display anything).
So currently it's console login + startx for me.
Optimus is pretty much a PITA with the current setup. I'm sincerely hoping that Wayland will be able to automatically detect this kind of bullcrap. Or at the very least glvnd will allow X11 to run without specific manual configuration.
>>
>>53894772
>operates under X.org
>>
>>53894815
Cinnamon is moving to wayland pretty soon, it's in their roadmap, now that Mint is adopting systemd.
>>
>>53894748
>QT
>not shit
>>
I'm a MATE desktop diehard. Simple, traditional, I can get to everything quickly. I want GNOME 3 to be better, but I just didn't dig it when I tried it a year or two ago. Everything in it seems over-engineered.

I keep hearing good things about XFCE - haven't tried it in a while. Last time I used it, it just felt flimsy and lacking.

KDE was the bee's knees a decade+ ago.
>>
>>53894981
Enjoy your dogshit tier gtk
>>
Also, the old System Monitor toolbar applet and no-nonsense weather applet are fantastic. It seems super silly, but they're actually killer apps compared to what GNOME 3 offered last I checked.

I don't care for the idea that GNOME is constantly removing features. Like splitting file-browser windows, or removing terminal transparency for no good reason.
>>
X F C E
F
C
E
>>
>>53890909
LXDE is relatively simple.
>>
>>53894782
Yeah, the black screen at login? That's what I keep getting. Then I get in, find a "fix" and then I cant even startx. Try to undo it and nothing helps. Optimus is so much fucking shit.
>>
>>53895504
I had the same issue - can't post my full config now as I'm not on the laptop that has Optimus right now, but I remember that the crucial part was running
xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
xrandr --auto

at the beginning of your X session (before anything else runs)
In case of startx you just need to put those lines at the start of your .xinitrc file and it should (hopefully) run. You may also need to setup X11 to use the modesetting driver for your intel integrated GPU, but I don't remember if it's still necessary and I don't remember the exact syntax either.
>>
>>53895736
See, I don't even remember seeing that in any of the configs I've been going over recently. After this last time, I figured if I'm gonna get this shit goin, reinstalling is probably gonna be on the menu so why not check out something new. As for trying a different distro altogether like >>53892919 said, I would, but I don't want to have to get optimus running in a whole new fucked up mess, just the one fucked up mess.
>>
File: budgie-150x150.png (18 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
budgie-150x150.png
18 KB, 150x150
>>53890909

>Which DE?
Budgie
>>
>>53895855
>dodgy
Post screencaps
>>
I settled on MATE few months ago.
Sincerely the most mature desktop you can get on linux now, functionality and stability wise.
>>
>>53895855
>Using GNOME riced to look like botnetOS
Seriously?
>>
KDE, while unpolished and sometimes buggy, is still the best DE available on Linux. Great potential, mediocre execution.
>>
>>53896318
>Great potential, mediocre execution.
That describes most if not almost all open source/free software projects
>>
Cinnamon master race checking in
Have been playing with deepin lately and that's pretty cool actually
>>
>>53892746
TEARING TEARING TEARING
TEARING TEARING TEARING
TEARING TEARING TEARING
>>
Been using KDE 3.3, but the transition to Plasma 5 has been going awkwardly across all sorts of distros from Arch to Debian. File manager actions that worked in dolphin 4 no longer work in dolphin 5. My old weather plasmoid no longer works, nor does the input method control thingy I had for uim. So I currently am without a satisfactory way to input Japanese.

And what's worse, some plasmoid (likely one of the system monitor ones) hogs progressively more CPU power over time until everything just sits there statically. I end up killing and restarting plasmashell about once a day.

However, I do love most of the KDE applications. Considering to ditch Plasma for LXQt but keeping most of the other stuff like Dolphin, Kate and Konsole. Last I checked, it wasn't quite there yet though.

>>53894748
You're not helping. In fact, I believe you're some false-flagging frogposter faggot.
>>
>>53896982
*been using KDE since 3.3
>>
I'd really like to get into xmonad. I hear good things.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.