[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, so i have this old acer netbook with Linux mint installed.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: acerD260.jpg (66 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
acerD260.jpg
66 KB, 500x334
Ok, so i have this old acer netbook with Linux mint installed. I don't want to get rid of it because its portable and comes in handy all the time when I'm working on family's computers. I want to upgrade the RAM and 5200rpm hard drive. Would i really see a significant boost in performance by getting an SSD, or would money be better spent on a 7200rpm 320GB WD black HD with 32MB cache?
>>
>>53889911
They sell 320GB hard drive still? Holy shit for what? 40$? You could buy a a 1TB for like 65$.

Just buy a 250GB SSD for 60$ dude. You get literally over 5x the speed. Yes SSD's are worth it
>>
>>53889911
Yes, I have similar netbok with a single core Celery and 2GB of RAM. The SSD made it feel like a flied. Startup and program opening is significantly faster sometimes almsot instantly. However it still (obviously) sucks at multitasking since Spotify lags and stutters when having more than 4 Chrome tabs open.
>>
I had one with an amd apu. It was good for things on the go. I would recommend using xubuntu with it. For me it was smooth even with the poor hardware. What do you intend to use or for btw?
>>
>>53890426
>>53890647
Thanks for the info. since its not my main computer, i'm looking at th OCZ TRION 150 2.5" 240GB for $62. Seems to have good reviews and would be more than enough for what i use it for.
>>
>>53890721
I've heard a ton of bad shit about OCZ. Crucial is pretty trusted. They have a model on Amazon for 59$ 250GB. I would recommend that. But it's your buy bro maybe they aren't shit anymore.
>>
>>53890709
to be honest, I've been abusing the wifi at work recently. Kodi with the Exodus addon. I have a tablet, but i like to keep it in my bag for those "gotta have a pc" moments. I used it to backup my brothers hard drive last month before he lost a ton of photos. Its just useful to have on hand for whatever comes up.
>>
>>53890775
The 150s are the latest models. quite recent in fact. I'm still reading up on it but its getting good reviews from what little i've read. I'm trying to keep it inexpensive but I don't want generic shit either.
>>
>>53890780
If I'm not wrong it came with 2gb ddr3 right? I think it's enough for anything that it can handle with that poor cpu. You can go for 4gb but I think you have no extra space for upgrade then you would need to buy 4gb which is not expensive but I don't know if it's that necessary. Performance is more cpu related and more ram will only give you better multitasking, but again with a poor cpu...
>>
>>53890775
>>53890721
God Tier:
Intel
Samsung
Crucial

Meh, good enough:
SanDisk
Patriot

Risky:
OCZ
Kingston
>>
>>53891116
>>53890775
Me here. What's your opinion on Mushkin? I fucking love my mushkin SSD's and flash drives. I'm using a mushkin mSata, an SSD and a flash drive. I love them. What kind of rep do they have?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.