[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why should I get a home server, /g/? I don't game and only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: Dell-M620_3.png (858 KB, 800x796) Image search: [Google]
Dell-M620_3.png
858 KB, 800x796
Why should I get a home server, /g/?

I don't game and only watch the occasional movie on my PC. I love Linux and I've been using it for 8 years, I just need some arguments to justify wasting my money on a server. They're cool as fuck, I just need some justification

pic semi-related
>>
I just did it because everyone else on /g/ does.
>>
>>53889335
My home server is my old desktop with a new hard drive. It's nice for torrenting and hosting video game servers.
>>
This is exactly what an RPi is for. Attach a powered USB external drive enclosure and you've got a cheap silent server.
>>
What exactly is a server? Can't it basically be an old rig with a fuck ton of HDDs?
>>
>>53889453
In a way Windows 10 is a server because it's remotely accessible by Microsoft, so yeah.
>>
>>53889453
'server' can imply higher grade components,
and features like dual cpu sockets, ECC memory, and enough heat to keep you comfortable in a snowstorm

or it means a raspberry pi. 50/50.
>>
>>53889516
>ser-ver
dual-cpu? nope
ECC? nope
Heat? nope
ser-vice? yep
>>
>>53889335
you can use an old desktop. it's good to have any internet service that you know is the best software set up correctly, as it's your doing
>>
If a server can simply be another rig, why can't I just put the hard drives in my current rig, instead of having to have another computer? Is it simply a matter of "they don't fit"?
>>
>>53889697
The only thing you have to worry about it fitting is your needs. What are you serving? How many people will access it? Is downtime a problem? Is your connection fast enough?
>>
>>53889377
Cuck
>>
>>53889516
That's not the definition of a server at all.
A good server is generally filled with server components because they're reliable but have caveats for consumer use.
>>
Home servers are the next big push that the industry is trying to force on people. Marketers are now using people to promote the benefits of a home server and making you feel insignificant or insecure about your possessions cause you didn't spend 700-1400 dollars on your own NAS. Just get an external drive.
>>
>>53889957
Nah, this is just a replay of Vista-era HP shitboxes running Windows Home Server. The only change is in terminology.
>>
reposting this from the other hsg thread: hey guys i want to build a new pc and use the parts on my current pc to build a NAS. how doable would this be? which parts can i use and which parts should i not even bother with?
>>
File: 608481ford-f-250-02.jpg (194 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
608481ford-f-250-02.jpg
194 KB, 1600x1200
>>53889335
Why should I get a Ford F250, /g/?

I don't drive and only leave the house on occasion. I love my bicycle and I've been using it for 8 years, I just need some arguments to justify wasting my money on a truck. They're cool as fuck, I just need some justification.

Pic semi-related
>>
>>53890087
lmao perfect
>>
>>53889335
To help moot
>>
>>53890087
You shouldn't, those are for pussies. Get a 450 like a real man
>>
>>53890087
It's not even a dually. Get rekt faggot.
>>
>>53890028
Microsoft probably had a lot to do with that in the first wave. This wave is being pushed by hardware industry. I'm seeing a whole lot of support for FreeNAS so the marketers are being wise and using regular joes that show some illusion of choice. There isn't much reason for a huge chunk of people to use a server when you can just use an external drive.
>>
>>53889480
kek
>>
File: lawson-3.jpg (404 KB, 750x563) Image search: [Google]
lawson-3.jpg
404 KB, 750x563
>>53890178
>450
Step up your game, nigga
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.