[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get it, /g/uys. I'm about to build my server
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 9
File: peC5Jm.jpg (16 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
peC5Jm.jpg
16 KB, 320x240
I don't get it, /g/uys.

I'm about to build my server room for my house.

What's the point of an ethernet punch down patch panel like seen in the pic?

Why not crimp the individual wires and simply plug them into the switch?

Is it just to save money on modular plugs? Or maybe so that you can switch from one plug to another later (why wouldn't simple modular plugs get that done in the first place)?
>>
I patch panel can accommodate a wide variety of different devices. A switch can not.
>>
Because it's best practice, it's easier to troubleshoot certain problems, and it looks nicer.
>>
>>53888223
Pretty much this. I've worked in environments where there are hundreds of Ethernet cables coming in to one cabinet. If the wires were just going directly into the switches it would be a giant mess. It would look awful and near impossible to troubleshoot, as there would be a spaghetti field of cable.
>>
File: WiringPanel2.gif (35 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
WiringPanel2.gif
35 KB, 280x280
>>53888182
Why not just unplug the modular plugs from whatever device you don't need and then plug it into that new device? Why have all the wires come into a punch down patch panel, just so that you have to plug more modular plugs into the patch panel and then use more wiring to plug that into another device?

I mean, when would you ever need to change the way your ethernet wiring is set up in your home or office? If a switch or hub or router or modem goes bad, you just unplug the ethernet cables and plug them into the new device.

>>53888223
How does the OPs picture look nicer than this? How is it best practice? You don't think maybe electricians just got that idea because they are from the old age (old age meaning; they were used to punching down phone lines [in which case that WAS good practice, because you could connect multiple phone lines to together as they all needed to be on the same line, but in this case, you never connect any ethernet line to another line {each line needs its own cable and jack unlike phone lines}]).

>>53888256
Explain to me how wires with a modular plug instead of being punched down can't be organized by being shortened and bound together and labeled like in my pic so that they would look organized.
>>
File: file.png (217 KB, 960x1040) Image search: [Google]
file.png
217 KB, 960x1040
>>53888129
On Newegg or Amazon, what do I even look for to get the item in OPs pictures?

"Punch down patch panel" doesn't yield any results. All it pulls up are the face plates to the larger switches or hubs you see in server rooms. Nothing you can moutn to a wall like OPs pic.
>>
>when would you ever need to change the way your ethernet wiring is set up in your home or office?

Speaking as someone who works for an MSP, a few times a month.
>>
File: wires.jpg (69 KB, 481x303) Image search: [Google]
wires.jpg
69 KB, 481x303
Why bother with cable management at all?
>>
For a home server I probably wouldn't bother but in an enterprise environment when shit is constantly moving and no one documents or labels shit just having straight cables is a fucking nightmare. And people can't crimp cables for shit.
>>
File: yellow_wall.jpg (538 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
yellow_wall.jpg
538 KB, 1024x768
>>53888357
You could get a rackmount panel and a wall-mount bracket. Or if you're just doing a handful, some electrical boxes with keystone jacks would work just fine.
>>
>>53888357

Go to the source then look for a better price on those sites

http://www.suttlesolutions.com/catalog/suttle-products/premise-copper-passive-products/premise-copper-terminals-enclosures-modules/cat6-8-port-voice-data-patch-module.html

And some zip-ties if you're going by OP's pic.
>>
>>53888934
That ones not enough plugs. I need one with at least 24.
>>
>>53888129

I've never understood those. They look horrible and it seems like each cable now has several points of insertion failure rather than just one.
>>
File: 20160322_192949.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160322_192949.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
Feast your eyes on my WIP server rack
>>
>>53889025

Why is it laying on the floor like that?
>>
>>53889037

Because heat rises
>>
File: nice rack.jpg (10 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
nice rack.jpg
10 KB, 500x500
>>53888953
Then a rackmount one is your only option. They make pic related for exactly that purpose. Make sure you get one that's hinged and run all the cables to the hinge side and then run them along the panel.
>>
File: 1303728_460s_v1.jpg (53 KB, 460x375) Image search: [Google]
1303728_460s_v1.jpg
53 KB, 460x375
>>53889025
>xbox 360
WAT? explain?
>>
>>53889025
How much did you pay for the rack? I have one that I'll probably never use, so I want to know how much I should list it for on craigslist.

>>53889591
I bet he has a theater set up in another room and uses extendos to get the video signal there. The thing above it looks like a cable box.
>>
>>53889816
What state are you in?
>>
>>53889864
Michigan, near the thumb.
>>
File: 1458173347993.jpg (20 KB, 240x228) Image search: [Google]
1458173347993.jpg
20 KB, 240x228
>>53889025
wtf
>>
>>53888129
>What's the point of an ethernet punch down patch panel like seen in the pic?
Retculation is always fixed wiring. It's a different grade to patch leads.
Look up 'plenum wiring".
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.