[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Home Server Builds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 00e0e_hQ9f5N9rtBB_600x450.jpg (24 KB, 447x450) Image search: [Google]
00e0e_hQ9f5N9rtBB_600x450.jpg
24 KB, 447x450
So I'm new to the idea of a home server. Scouring Craigslist I found this computer for $280 and it seems like a perfect box for the price and purpose

>two Xeon e5335 quad-core CPUs, 2 GHz, 1333 FSB, 8 MB L2 cache
>32 GB DDR2-667 ECC quadruple channel RAM
>two 1TB SATA hard disks
>Nvidia GT218 PCIe dual GPU, DVI and DisplayPort outputs
>Gigabit Ethernet
>bunch of ports and space for 6 hard drives
>>
>>53886386
It'll work great. It's quite a bit more than you probably need though.
>>
>>53886386
I've owned many a home server over the past few years. This sounds like a great machine, but keep in mind what exactly you want to do with it. A cheaper, less powerful machine may suit your needs better, even a raspberry pi can host a web server or shared file system.

Also look into Proxmox, it's an open source hypervisor. With all that power, you will probably want to virtualize.
>>
>>53886386
A bit overkill for home server but if $280 doesn't make a dent go on ahead
>>
>>53886386
That machine would be wasted as a home server. It's a workstation PC, and should be used a daily driver for someone who needs it.
>>
>>53887168
I own one.. xw8200.. lulz.. mine is just a deb 8 squid cache.. #trufax (mine only 4Gb ramulations)
>>
>>53887349
Waste of a good machine for such a peasant task.
>>
>>53887433
you call this dinosaur a good machine? lulz I paid $20 for it on ebayz.. was gonna grab another just for the ram..
>>
>>53886672
Thanks for the suggestion! Thats probably what I'll do if I get my hands on it. I was looking at a simple home server as a starting place since I didn't think I could get a capable machine for $300.

I have a pi that I'm using for openelec right now after playing around with a mumble server and some vnc stuff
>>
>>53887568
Please stop typing like a nigger.

Yes, an HP xw8200 is still a good computer. It would be excellent to function as the legacy computer in a hardware collection since it still has IDE connections and several PCI slots on the motherboard while still providing enough performance to keep up with modern tasks. Great for pulling data out of archives or running older equipment.
>>
>>53887673
didn't 771 xeons need FBDIMMs that nothing else used?
>>
I would pay maybe $200.

Keep in mind this will be very power hungry.
>>
>>53887722
maybe, but the computer probably already has them installed so it's not much of an issue
>>
>>53887568
The best one I saw on eBay for a xw8400 was with 16 GB of not ecc RAM and no hard drives for $400
>>
>>53887673
even then, a dual core2 xeon will go head-to-head with modern haswell shit just fine in most home tasks that take advantage of the multithreading

the only reason I'm not dailying my dual E5450 precision T7400 right now is because the 8800 GTS I shoved in it was a little underwhelming for a particular application and there was no point gutting the nehalem box I swapped over to for it

>>53887722
not really, only servers or flagship dual-socket workstations
>>
>>53887607
Proxmox is nice for a home VM server. A couple years ago I got my hands on an HP Proliant DL585G5. Monster of a machine, 4 quad core opterons and 128 GB RAM. I was able to run it for about 2 months before I realized the power consumption wasn't worth it.
>>
>>53888992
Did i raise your power bill that much with its power consumption? I live in an area with cheap power thanks to all the dams
>>
File: case.jpg (35 KB, 1024x661) Image search: [Google]
case.jpg
35 KB, 1024x661
>>53886386
home server = raspberry pi 3 ..that "server" in picture is hp xw 6400
I just replaced with raspberry pi. certainly fast enough .set up with network in minutes with ubuntu mate. < 1.5 watts power

size of matchbox .. my case = standard
>>
>>53887168
its OLD.
>>
>>53889595
Any ideas on what to do with something a little more powerful?
All I can think of is a home server, seed box, and mumble server all which don't need much power.
>>
>>53891556
Media server (Plex or XMBC), host private Git repos, gaymin servers if you're into that
>>
>>53886386
> server
> dedicated gpu

the fuck are you doing?

Buy a used dell blade
>>
>>53889604
like that means shit anymore, moore's law has been dead for non-gamertard home use since like 2007
>>
>>53893028
Anon-kun what if I take it out
>>
>>53893028
> Buy a used dell blade
> Blade
I don't think that means what you think it means, not in this case anyway...
>>
>>53893028
Maybe he's doing some heavy parallel processing
>>
Tell us what you're going to do with it. I've got a home server, HP proliant n36l. Shitty 1.4ghz dual core, 16gb ddr3, 2x2tb, 1x3tb and system 160gb drive. Always on, runs perfect. Pulls 30w from wall. Its a Plex, file, sonar, couch potato, iis, wds, ftp, nzb, mylar, headphones and Sven coop server. Never have any slowdown, running off a server 2012 base. Used to also run a mail server with SQL back end. Might even be running more shit on I can't remember. Either way, depending what you're doing that server is probably overkill.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.