[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do applications, and certain games run in a VM? Thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
How do applications, and certain games run in a VM?

Thinking about Linux, but would still need Windows, and Wine sucks dick.
>>
>>53879947
Just Dual-Boot
>>
>>53879965
No that is annoying and stupid. Why would I even use Linux? Especially if I am just gonna dual boot.
>>
>>53880109
Looks like you don't need Linux. Why bother?
>>
>>53880109
If you have no use for linux then don't use it, man. Nobody is forcing linux on you, right?
I use linux myself because I am a developer, and using windows is SO uncomfortable, SO awkward and SO inefficient. Don't get me wrong, though. I appreciate linux environments and would probably keep using linux even if I wasn't into software development, just because I feel comfortable with it. However, if you don't need to use it, then don't force yourself to do it.
>>
>>53879965
I recently bought a new rig, with 1 ssd with ubuntu and 1 ssd with windows10 and except for single test-run (to run valves VR-Test-tool) I have never even booted into windows.

>>53879947
>Wine sucks dick
try PoL: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PlayOnLinux
It works surprisingly well, but sometimes you do have to fiddle with it.
On my last rig I ran a modded skyrim under pol.
Also steam has lots of games for linux, which is everything I have played so far on my new rig.

>How do applications, and certain games run in a VM?
Applications run perfectly if they don't need directX, Games that run with directX9 run fine with wine, though sometimes you have to do some fiddling. Games that require higher directX don't run under linux (though I haven't tried running them in a VM).

the only application, that I ever had to run in VM was the software that does my taxes. Everything else I got running with wine.
>>
>>53880297
My laptop is full Linux. OP still wanted Windows so I suggested a dual-boot.
>>
https://youtu.be/FvcxPufSRNo

Should answer questions.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.