[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Coding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: download (38).jpg (22 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
download (38).jpg
22 KB, 275x183
So /g/, I'm looking to get into tech stuff and I think I should start with coding. Any suggestions or advice?
>>
Programming and avoid the language in your picture
>>
>>53878006
"Code" yourself into a noose faggot
>>
>>53878006
First of all, don't call it "coding".
>>
>>53878006

Code academy

solve toy problems

install gentoo

/thread
>>
>>53878045
What do I call it?

"Waste my life and wonder why I don't have a gf"?
>>
>>53878070
The correct term is "programming" hence "programming language" not "coding language".
>>
>>53878070
>asks for help
>demeans the first person that makes a suggestion

Yeah, you can get fucked kid. Have fun working in construction or whatever.
>>
>>53878062
Does installing Gentoo actually teach you a huge bunch about computers and system software seeing as it requires a huge amount of knowledge to be acquired?
>>
>>53878138
not the first guy but annoying fucks who are talentless always seem to say shit like "turn coffee into code," "love coding" etc so yeah don't call it coding it makes you look like a fuck head
>>
>>53878006

Coding is to Software Development what Jose the House Painter is to the Sistine Chapel ceiling.
>>
>>53878773

I take it you have never painted a house.
>>
>>53878544
I know. I hate the term "coding" too, but to be fair, it's most likely all they're doing.

Programming: Plotting computation patterns and algorithms, and how a computer might behave. Writing code to graft the architecture necessary to observe and achieve such effects, noting the behaviour at each level.

Coding: Writing code.
>>
>>53878862
>Plotting computation patterns and algorithms, and how a computer might behave. Writing code to graft the architecture necessary to observe and achieve such effects, noting the behaviour at each level.

you either work in HR or management, or everyone who encounters you hates your guts.
>>
>>53878925
You're either a beaver or a retard.

See, I can make nonsensical rebuttals too.
>>
>>53878862
That's not what programming means
>>
>>53878939
Heh you said "butt"
>>
>>53878070
oh wow, why did you even ask for help
>>
>>53878045
The hell cares. Coding is fucking coding don't be Mr grammar nazi
>>
Step one:
Stop using "code" as a verb
>>
>>53878939
>Writing code to graft the architecture necessary to observe and achieve such effects

ok. but seriously, you were being humorous when you wrote this nonsense, weren't you?
>>
>>53879004
No, I said it because it's the word that triggers /g/.
E.g.
>>53879015
>>53878773
>>53878033
>>
>>53878006
Give me one good reason youre getting into tech stuff. If you had any real interest youd already be figuring things out on your own, just trying things out.

Instead it sounds like you dont *hate* computers and you want easy money. If thats the case, go learn PHP and HTML5/CSS/JS.

Front end Web dev is easiest to get into, and generally requires simple logic, if any.

PHP handles the backend, youll need to understand that too.

Okay champ, youre all set to rake in the big bucks now
>>
>>53878006

>this.trigger

Hue. Anyway read SCIP and The C++ programming language first, afterwards you should be able to decide your own path because you'll have the foundation required to use basically any language.

Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Op3QLzMgSY&list=PLB63C06FAF154F047

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6U-i4gXkLM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM1iUe6IofM

Books:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:0bbfaaf5f469a2bd3d762f6942a302f7014a35e9&tr.1=udp://tracker.ccc.de:80&tr.2=http://announce.torrentsmd.com:6969/announce&tr.3=http://announce.torrentsmd.com:8080/announce.php&tr.4=http://bttrack.9you.com/:8080/announce&tr.5=http://announce.torrentsmd.com:8080/announce&tr.6=http://bitflip.uni.cx:6969/announce&kt=http://www.bt2magnet.com

Everything you'll ever want or need. Enjoy.
>>
>>53878006
yes a good advice: start coding.
The majority of best programming would tell you to code even more.
>>
>>53878965
Yes it is.

A program is just a pattern of steps used to achieve certain objectives.

Writing a program is about understanding how to invoke certain computations and to orchestrate them correctly.

Thus programming is anything concerned with COMPOSING programs that carry out an orchestrated set of computations.

Do share your definition, though.
>>
>>53879157

>starting with C++

Bad idea. Learn C or a least an imperative language first.

Learning OOP first doesn't make sense.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-05-16-27-21.png (351 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-05-16-27-21.png
351 KB, 1080x1920
>>53878965
>>53880269

>"developing understanding"
>"generating algorithms"
>"implementation" (writing the code)

>"The purpose of programming is to find a sequence of instructions that will automate performing a specific task or solving a given problem."

Sorry, were you saying that that is not what programming means?

>>53879072
>being articulate is frowned upon

Decent vocabulary looks like nonsense to halfwits. I doubt you could even point out anything wrong with that sentence, you're just blindly trying to be a contrarian and looking like a moron in the process.
>>
>>53880317
SCIP teaches scheme lisp. I told him to read both of them order doesn't matter as long as he knows both.
>>
>>53880546

Functional languages are great for learning, and I don't dispute learning something like Lisp.

But as for learning a programming language that'll actually be used for practical applications, C++ is a bad one to start with.
>>
>>53880570
Why do you say that?
>>
>>53880546
SICP not SCIP
>>
>>53880684
C++ has been abstracted away from the most valuable thing you can learn from a systems-level programming language.

Learning C and then learning OOP after will make any subsequent languages much easier to learn. I just think learning C++ before learning C unnecessarily complicates the learning process.

C is also quite a small language, with a small library. Less overwhelming for a beginner.
>>
>>53878006
extremely wrong question to ask here as everybody is an unemployed failure neet living in a basement that barely knows anything about programming
>>
>>53880688
oops, sorry

>>53880707
All of those C features of manual memory management are still there in C++ and if you're reading the book instead of watching YouTube tutorials you'll inevitably use it.
>>
>>53880718
this ťbh fåm
>>
>>53880757
But then there's also the creating objects, inheritance and destructors etc. that come with it.

I dunno. It's doable but I think learning a smaller, less complex language starting out is wiser. C++ is like a hybrid, and without learning the predecessor it was based on, you'll know never know the difference between the two aspects of the language design and therefore, in my opinion, you'll be less effective when programming with it.
>>
learn how to 6502 assembly
>>
>>53878006
Install gentoo
>>
>>53878939
Fukken kek
>>
While you are at it, what's the name of that book, it's not a straight up programming manual but a book on general programming logic or something.

I think the cover was red and white
>>
>>53878070
Virtual carpentry.
>>
>>53881054
SICP
or Designing Algorithms
>>
>>53880718
This post reeks of projection.
>>
>>53881054
>>53881130

I watch the SICP lectures from MIT.

I'm guessing the book is pretty much based on the them?
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.