[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trying to turn on and access my Windows PC from other networ
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: Chrome-Remote-Desktop-Windows8.jpg (281 KB, 1200x817) Image search: [Google]
Chrome-Remote-Desktop-Windows8.jpg
281 KB, 1200x817
Trying to turn on and access my Windows PC from other networks via laptop/phone but I'm failing miserably.
I have a TP-link router Archer C2. I've followed several tutorials but no result.

Should I have a static IP set up for this?
I did some port forwarding, port 9, 7 and 3000, checked with a tool called Port forward network utilities and says that the ports aren't open.

This is one of the tutorials I've followed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZCWr4M3YO0
I'm having a possible issue setting up the Dynamic DNS... I've registered on no-ip com just like in the video... difference is that my name is xxx.ddns.net and that the Connect status shows "Connecting" and not Succesfull like in the video.

Would appreciate some help, kisses!
>>
>>53877121
1. Wake on LAN never works. Ever. Unless you're a magician.
2. Make sure your port forwarding is working correctly. Ping on the ports that matter. (443 for rdp)
3. Make sure you have the correct external IP address for the router. This may change often depending on your ISP, but you can use a dyndns service to get the current IP address.
>>
>>53877158
I've pinged my public IP, 0 packets received.
>>
>>53877158
magic packet was enabled, I've set up everything accordingly in bios
External ip is the same as public ip.
>>
welp
>>
>Wake on LAN never works. Ever. Unless you're a magician.
it works, just not via the internet (damn routers won't pass the packets).

try using a vpn: http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-444.html

your device will become local to your home network so the magic packet program will work. you can ever run the windows rdpclient program.
>>
>>53878495
What if I disconnect the router and plug just the internet cable in my PC? What would the steps for that be?

Gonna take a look at that link though
>>
File: 1459614341762.jpg (71 KB, 600x656) Image search: [Google]
1459614341762.jpg
71 KB, 600x656
>Not just installing TeamViewer and being done with it
>>
>>53878643
I think I've tried that already...
>>
>>53878495
My router only supports VPN pass-through, will this be a problem?
>>
>>53877121
Thats a REALLY dumb idea, having your PC exposed to the internet like this.
>>
>>53878495
>http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-444.html
I don't have a VPN option in my router's settings.
Great stuck again.
>>53878872
What do you propose then?
>>
>>53877158
>WoL never works unless you're a magician
Well shit, I must be some kind of high-level mage then. I've got my router set to send a magic packet when it receives a port knock, and it only fails to work when the power's out in the first place.
>>
Spent some hours also trying to wake on lan from an external network, no luck at all. Tried depicus wake on lan, magic packet settings, tunneling etc. Gave up breddy quick after realizing this isnt how WOL is meant to be inplemented
>>
>>53879199
Does WoL work at all?
>>
>>53879263
>>53879199
wol doesn't work from the internet due to all routers that route packets do not pass wol packets (due to the nature of the packet content). so it will never get pass any routers. so the wol packet needs to be generated within the local network (the lan side of the router). only way to do that is to have the router generate the packet (via some web interface or dedicated port open on the wan side), have a computer on the lan side that can generate the packet (program running on that computer that listens to a specific port that has been forwarded on the router) or using a vpn server (either running on the router itself or on a computer on the lan side with pptp passthrough on the router enabled) so that a virtualized local network connection is made at which point a wol packet program can be run on the remote computer and a a rdp or vnc client can be run to access the wol computer.
>>
>>53879199
no shit, it's not routable as it works on layer 2, internet protocol (IP) is layer 3

to do WoL over the internet, you need to instruct an internal machine to send the magic packet, such as a server or your router itself
>>
>>53879366
I'm asking if WoL works at all. He could throw a *WRT on there, install knockd, and set it to send a magic packet on a knock.
>>
You accomplish this by setting up a VPN appliance of any kind to connect to and from there you can wake on lan to your internal network.

That is all you need to know. If you can't make it work from that you need to call geeksquad
>>
>>53879495
yep, probably the best secure solution would be something like;
- use/get a router that supports customizable firmware such as OpenWRT
- set it up with a WoL program and SSH server
- configure the SSH server for private key authentication (both for security and convenience purposes)
- open the SSH port so it can be reached externally
then, just run "ssh user@routerip wolprogram ma:ca:ad:dr:es:s" to securely instruct the router to send an WoL magic packet on your LAN
>>
>>53879495
>I'm asking if WoL works at all
sure it works. i use it on all my machines (yeah i could walk over to the machines and press the power button, but i'm lazy) as long as the nic has the wol option enabled (some nic need a wire that connects to the mb to power up the pc). i have the router vpn server setup so i can power up a computer running a cyber locker program (as well as give me access to all my computers on the lan and my home internet connection).
>>
>>53879263
>>53879366
>>53879427

Thanks for the informative replies guys. Did not attempt WoL locally because i have no use for it in that way. My goal was to be able to turn on the PC and run teamviewer out of the apt, of course.

Another thing that may add complexity is the modem/router is a single box not connected to any PCs.

My PC uses a dd wrt router in bridged mode acting as the wireless network card. I saw some options for WoL in the dd wrt router, but couldn't figure how do get that to work.

All in all its really just a nice to have thing, if it was really necessary im sure id have figured something out by now
>>
>>53879743
yea, as mentioned, WoL wasn't designed with the internet in mind, it's a pretty basic hardware feature of the NIC, as i understand it, you basically broadcast a wol packet with the target machine's (actually its NIC) MAC address, and the NIC signals to the host machine to turn on, either over the bus it's on, if the BIOS supports it, or via a cable that is connected in-line with the physical power button, which requires no special support from the host machine (shouldn't be needed nowadays)
the MAC address is lower level than IP, and is not internet-routable (as in, it can't pass through an internet router, and thus, over the internet)

you don't have to use your router for this job, any machine that will be on will also do, but the router is the most convenient place to put the service, as it will need to be on for this to make sense anyway
>>
>>53879871
didn't mention;
NIC = network interface card, aka ethernet card
the term does apply to WiFi cards, too, and WoL does work over WiFi, but i don't believe you can wake a machine that only uses WiFi (as it won't actually be on the network while turned off, where a wired machine is still physically connected, with standby power allowing the NIC to listen for WoL packets)
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.