[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rate your company
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6
File: ge-logo-retro.jpg (109 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ge-logo-retro.jpg
109 KB, 300x300
ITT: You rate the company you work at.

I'll start.

Company: General Electric
Rating: Shit tier
Comment: Shit company full of incompetent people (ex-consultants), low pay, shit culture. Can't wait till I've worked here for a year so I can jump ship without looking bad. Just go to glassdoor and ignore every fake review that gives the company 4 or more stars.
>>
What is it exactly that you do?
>>
>>53873555
software developer
>>
>>53873543

honestly, I just assume every 4chan poster is a shit tier employee. I've fired multiple 4chan posters cause they tried to sneak memes into their professional work.
>>
>>53873602
But you're on 4chan, sir
>>
unnamed datacenter
rating: shady AF tier
comment: management is a bunch of jews that try to jew everyone at every turn, whether it's buying parts or signing for space at remote DCs or giving clients shit that was promised in an order.
>>
File: 1457764731219.jpg (24 KB, 317x432) Image search: [Google]
1457764731219.jpg
24 KB, 317x432
>>53873625
sometimes life isn't fair
>>
>>53873602
that's not a symptom of 4chan, that's just being unprofessional. Worth firing for.
>>
File: 2000px-CVS_Pharmacy_Alt_Logo.svg.png (113 KB, 2000x1146) Image search: [Google]
2000px-CVS_Pharmacy_Alt_Logo.svg.png
113 KB, 2000x1146
Company: CVS Pharmacy
Rating: Shit
Comment: Intentionally overworks workers and has cut so many hours the only way to accomplish anything is to essentially ignore alot of legislation for customer safety and privacy. Only work at CVS if you need a shortterm job or you're using it as a stepping stone to work in a hospital.
>>
>>53873543
I've always heard that GE was shit. Multiple sources, different locations.
>>
Can't name names, but got let go a while ago from a dev job and just got an offer for a new one that is 20k above my previous base. Had taken the first job I could out of school and now that I'm older and wiser and know that glassdoor is a thing I find out how much they really undervalued everyone.
>>
>>53873703
I can't speak for other locations but here in the bay area GE is probably one of the worst companies to work for. If you're looking for a job and you have an offer from any other company just take it and never look at GE.
>>
File: Wikia_Logo.png (8 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Wikia_Logo.png
8 KB, 400x400
Company: Wikia inc.
Rating: 8/10
Comments: It's right below Reddit and it has a kitchen.
>>
>>53873639
Why do you have to bring race into it? If you think you have any legitimate criticism, it'll stand well enough alone. You're not adding anything.
>>
>>53873922
really wish you guys would actually optimize your css/js/html

It's become beyond bloated these days
>>
>>53873922
walk by there all the time, never knew reddit was in that building
>>
>>53873977
Do what literally everyone else does and use the MonoBook skin. Oasis (this shit most people see) is just one big hacky piece of shit stacked on meme technology and some stupid ass MVC framework that was written in 2008.
>>
>>53873964
The hand rubbing merchant is like a drawn version of my bosses. It's the most brief, understandable way to describe them
>>
>>53873964
And I don't literally mean Jews
>>
>>53873543
Uh, I always thought GE was a good company, dont they make plane engines and million dollar machines for specific work like hydrodams turbines and generators? Like Bosch I thought it was only the best.
>>
>>53873964
might be hard to grasp, but not everyone who uses jew as an insult is doing it to be racist at this point even if it started out that way.
>>
>>53873543
NEET Inc. Ltd.
My parents' house
meh tier
the pay isn't enough ($0 annually) also it's a hostile company culture (the boss keeps asking when I'm going to finally move out, and they make a point to sight audibly whenever I enter a room), though at least it has free food, onsite residences, and flexible hours. I'm thinking of applying to Noose Corp. in the near future.
>>
>>53873543
Company: Unnamed Medical Hardware Company
Rating: International Acquisition tier
Comment: I work in a SW team of 6 writing laser control software.
>>
>>53873543

Company: Large retailer (well over 10,000 employees)
Rating: Not bad
Comment: Hoping they un-outsource application development, Indians are the most incompetent people on the planet.
>>
>>53874551
Try working for Mormons, Jews are usually willing to pay a decent wage.
>>
>>53874594
GE price-fixes where they can. A perfect example is medical equipment.
>>
File: download.png (6 KB, 303x166) Image search: [Google]
download.png
6 KB, 303x166
Google
Rating: fucking amazing
Comment :we just shifted to whole grain, really appreciate the work environment and the security policies
>>
>>53875139
To clarify:
I work in the Datacenter, not the store.
>>
>>53875186
Is it easier to get a job with Google in SA?

I bet you live like a king with the pay vs cost of living.
>>
>>53873543
Company - Microsoft
Location - Seattle area
Rating - God tier to kill me now tier, depending on the org you're in.
Comment - Most org's are run by business and / or accounting majors. Tech people have no say in most of the process. The Kin is a great example of this. The culture is pretty varied, and I've had fun in different groups, but places like PSS support are just fucking terrible.
>>
>>53875256
>Most org's are run by business and / or accounting majors.
Is this why they're integrating Linux stuff?
>>
>>53875279
No. It comes from higher up. Possibly from Satya himself. The integration would likely be better if Balmer wasn't such a window licker.

I think the idea is that if Azure has to support it, everything else might as well.
>>
>>53875313
In general it has really made me question their recent choices. Some have the opinion that Microsoft will become a software company rather than an Operating System company. This wouldn't be a bad move but it is definitely a tricky one.
>>
>>53875344
The push is cloud / mobile first. That makes sense I suppose, but below the executive level, some nasty decisions are being made. Some of the games played with Exchange for example. So much so that a few companies are starting to at least look at IBM Notes as an Exchange alternative.

Which sucks, because Exchange is (was?) a great product.
>>
>>53875382
>So much so that a few companies are starting to at least look at IBM Notes as an Exchange alternative.

D:

Moving it to 365 wasn't such a bad idea, it removes the technical expertise requirement for SMBs. What's going on with it other than that?
>>
>>53875344
Microsoft is pushing towards 'service' rather than 'product'.
They missed the big data boat too some some exec is like 'let's collect user data since that's valuable now' and made a powerpoint presentation about how windows was at the core of the computing world and this was the perfect position to enrich the user's experience by adapting to their usage patterns (and of course recording those usage patterns and pushing adverts)
>>
>>53875415
The Exchange on-prem team no longer exists.

Everything goes to tier 2 now, even for premier support contracts.

I don't really have an issue with Office365 either, except for some of the design choices.

It seems to me that a single spindle (no raid at server level) supporting some 800 users is a really bad idea. Redundancy is at the DAG level, I get that, but reseeding from the mounted copy? Sure, lets add 100% more load to the active DB copy.

But that's just a personal complaint, and will be less of an issue as SSD's come into play.
>>
>>53875433
Just like every other company.

And Microsoft didn't miss the big data boat, they just spring a leak with the licensing costs.
>>
>>53875344
I don't know why they would. They dominating the OS market
>>
>>53875454
>Redundancy is at the DAG level
Probably goes along with the "object-based storage" push.

>less of an issue as SSD's come into play.
Server-level redundancy is a good idea regardless of storage media.
>>
>>53875479
No they missed the boat. They're investing in a bubble right before it's going to crash.

They missed smartphones too, but smartphones aren't going to be taken down with the advertising bubble.
>>
>>53875433
>recording those usage patterns and pushing adverts
I wonder if they realize that building applications in Linux could destroy the business. People are already pissed over PRISM which has caused them to rethink the services they use. Once the switch is easy, people will stop using Windows.
>>
>>53875505

> Probably goes along with the "object-based storage" push.
Except when disk queue lengths get so far backed up you start getting semaphore timeouts in AD because you're reseeding a 2TB mail DB from the active copy that already has 850 users on it.

This isn't an array. In most cases, it's a single 1 or 2TB Seagate Barracuda ES.2 or Western Digital RE2.

>Server-level redundancy is a good idea regardless of storage media
Absolutely. I wasn't trying to argue otherwise.
>>
>>53875551
>This isn't an array. In most cases, it's a single 1 or 2TB Seagate Barracuda ES.2 or Western Digital RE2.
Shit, have any of the people that came up with this had System Administration experience!?
>>
>>53875528
>No they missed the boat
They've been doing big data sense before it was a thing. Things like the Xbox production lines. Surface shop floor control systems, etc. SQL does big data very well. But the licensing costs are fucking OPRESSIVE.

> They missed smartphones too
I'm fairly certain Microsoft and Palm were the original smart phones. Long before the iPhone was a concept drawing.

Then Apple did something different, and it spread like wildfire. Palm couldn't adapt. Microsoft was very slow to adapt, and it's costing them.

In my own perfect world, I'd see Windows phone as something that can be installed on a handset, much like Windows can be installed on a computer.

A Galaxy Note 5 running Windows phone? Yes please.
>>
The Upper Secondary Schools Admission Office in *censored* County

It's pretty good.

It's mostly just middle aged women working here so it can feel a bit lonely, but my co-workers are really fucking nice, my boss is really sweet as well but she also knows when she needs to tell you to do some damn work at the same time, and since it's for the guberment nobody is trying to get ahead or be a dickbag and instead works together, oh and like 2 hours of lunch and coffee breaks a day.
>>
>>53875619
Yeah, the argument was that it's redundant at the service level.

Much of the Gen 2 hardware for Office365 is 2U SE216M2's with 12x 2TB SATA drives, and 2 500's in a RAID 1. Each server runs 12 DB's, with 3 - 7 nodes in primary site, and 2-4 in backup site.

You want to see engineers cower in the corner? Tell them that an entire node is out of sync and has to be reseeded in parallel...
>>
>>53875663
>Tell them that an entire node is out of sync and has to be reseeded in parallel...
Kek
>>
>>53873692
I worked at cvs for almost 6 years. Can agree.

If any of you nerds want an easy career, go work at cvs for a year, get them to pay for your certifications, then work at a hospital like this anon said.
>>
>>53875648
>and like 2 hours of lunch and coffee breaks a day.
I previously worked for a nonprofit, this was common. If I got bored (because I scripted pretty much everything) I'd just wander around the building, get coffee, walk around outside, dick around on websites (the webfilter was a joke and easily bypassed).
>>
>>53875628
I meant big data as in consumer data, not things for warehousing and such.
Yeah, microsoft has been doing data reliant logisitics, but I was talking about data collected from goys to then sell on. Data companies like Bluekai and Acxziom buy and sell personal data. They not only have data on what kind of pet you have but what you fed it 40 days ago. That's the level of detail they have about you and what microsoft was missing was also collecting that level of data from windows users.
>>
>>53875721
I do a lot of database entry and since I usually finish all of the stuff I have to register fairly quickly, so I spend like 3 hours a day just browsing the internet.

I love working for the goverment.
>>
I do electronics and firmware for a small industrial automation company.

Pros:
Co-workers are cool guys.

It's in Vancouver which means Canada without the snow.

It's a 32 hour work week.

They send me on interesting trips a couple times a year and pay for everything including fun stuff unrelated to work. Brazil, London, Italy, NYC, etc.

I get to do both programming and electronics. Most jobs only let you do one or the other.

Projects are usually pretty interesting.

Cons:

It's in Vancouver which is a super expensive city to live in. I'll never be able to afford a house here.

I have an engineering degree and could be making twice what they pay me at a different company. I haven't got a raise since I started four years ago.

They've got all the tech support and developers shoved in a tiny room and I can't concentrate with three people yelling into their phones next to me.

I'm really torn up about if I should leave or not. My life is pretty good, but I'm getting older and need to start thinking about buying a house, saving for retirement, etc. It's never going to happen if I keep working this job.
>>
>>53875723
I see what you're saying. Yes, they were late to this game, but no, I don't think they're really filling the missing data gaps. They do it too, yes, but so does Apple and Google.

How often do most people reach for their phone to look up something while out?

Er, yeah, I'll stop beating a dead horse...
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 780x439) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 780x439
AT&T corporate
KC
Corporate culture is fucking dead. Pretty shit company to work for and overworks their employees with outrageous goals. Pay Is pretty sweet though DESU
>>
>>53875774
>I'll never be able to afford a house here.
That's a deal-breaker.
>>
Company: Frys Electronics
Rating: could be worse, but definitely could be better.
Comment: at the top of the chain, management doesn't give a shit about the fact that promo codes and price matching have absolutely fucked our commission. And whether it's because of society or frys just not looking for the right people, we really don't have enough folks who know what they're talking about, and have too many over-the-top shillspeople. The fact that the whole thing is still structured like a small grocery store and not the multi-state electronics chain it is also leads to some annoying issues with policy and procedure, but all in all its a really nice place to work for being a retail store. If you know your shit, the commission pay is good, and frankly there's a surprising comraderie across associates.
>>
>>53875826
What % of pay is commission, and what kind of rate can you expect if you have an idea of what you're talking about?
>>
>>53875826
I still think it's bizarre that when I'm trying to get a sales guy commission on shit he can't put down stuff outside his section

But beyond that I've given up trying to get the sales guys to have their commissions count from my shit by how often they've ignored me

I generally hit up sunnyvale and palo alto these days
>>
>>53875851
It really depends on a lot of factors, like what department you're in, what the mark-up is, and how well the week is going saleswise. I work part time and commission tends to be 30-40% if my paycheck.

Its far too varied to give a good estimate. You can make 100 in commission in a couple hours trolling modems and routers, or barely break 20 handling an entire system build. The on hub pays like $16 while another router with similar specs can be 5 or 6.

Don't get me started on how much Intel trains us to be shills when we make nothing on nearly every processor.

>>53875880
No idea what's going on there, were completely allowed to put items from other departments in the quote, we just don't make commission off it (except some classes of items that are eligible. I.e. computers people can swipe routers and external hard drives from us)

If you really want to make a salesperson's day, get the PSC. That's really the most guaranteed profit for us. Its legitimately pretty good coverage on networking shit, since it pretty much covers you for an off-the-shelf replacement. Different items have different types tho, so ask about the specific coverage.
>>
>>53875970
This is why I was always moved out of sales. If a product works for a person, cool. I used to get in trouble all the time for telling people that if their computer works for them, they don't need to upgrade.
>>
>>53876015
I legit feel bad pushing i7s sometimes but you gotta do what you gotta do, you know?

I'm pretty good at sales, so I'll probably be kept here for a while. Maybe one day I'll move to service and just fix shit all day, but I don't know.

I'm just here till I graduate college tho. Then I'm outta retail hell.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.