[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: ss (2015-07-10 at 12.52.25).jpg (291 KB, 1919x1072) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-07-10 at 12.52.25).jpg
291 KB, 1919x1072
Hello /g/, I got a question, but first, allow me to give a short backstory.

So, I came to /g/ a few years ago, I found out what rainmeter was, found out what ricing was, learnt a few things, and I've had the fondest memories, especially learning about BBlean/Blackbox4Windows

Now I've had BBlean on every setup I've had for a few years, and feel happy and comfortable with it.
Futhermore, I've always been a Windows user, it suits my needs, plays games, blah blah blah. I love ricing, I can rice Windows fine. I've tried other OS' but not got far.

Now my question is,
>Where do I go from here?
I've always had a fascination with Linux, and admire the desktop threads I've seen.
I've been thinking about dualbooting, and I just wanted some advice for where I should go to from here.

Any info into what distro I should try/how2rice Linux would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, /g/.
>>
For Linux ricing, check the out the Crunchbang forums. Unfortunately development has been stopped, the dev recommends just installing Debian with Openbox, but it's basically the same. It's a distro that starts with just openbox window manager and you rice it yourself. There are plenty of guides

The new distro is "bunsenlabs" but the forums aren't as filled. Check the crunchbang forum for guides, ask questions on bunsenlabs
>>
>>53873093
crunchbang forums are based. they're like a debian flavored arch wiki.
>>
>>53873093
>>53873108
Thanks guys, off to grab Debian to put on a spare laptop, at least.
Would you recommend Openbox? Because I know there's stuff like Icebox and even Blackbox for Linux, unsure how similar things are.

And not to be pushy, but is it worth looking into Lemonbar? Because I've seen that around too.
>>
>>53873144
I used Openbox on top of crunchbang for years. Works beautifully on any hardware no matter how old or new, actually doesn't look too bad with a compositor, and if you combine it with crunchbang's window snapping scripts (Super+Arrow keys to grow focused window as far as it can go in that direction until it hits another window or the edge of a monitor) it's def one of my favorite setups.

Never used lemonbar, if you're familiar with it then sure. Seems like there's a bit of a learning curve with it. If you try it and don't like it, you could try something like tint2 which is pretty easy to set up.
>>
>>53873144
Yeah I'd recommend Openbox. It's popular and flexible, you'll find lots of themes for it

Lemonbar looks fine, tint2 is a little more common.
>>
>>53873199
>>53873250
Now I know what I gotta learn.
You've been a massive help, thanks guys, I really appreciate it.
>>
File: get paid get laid gatorade.png (77 KB, 606x180) Image search: [Google]
get paid get laid gatorade.png
77 KB, 606x180
no problemo, good luck with the ricing
>>
>>53872891
I would have directed you to the /rice/ board on 8 chan but they are currently down for who knows what. I persoinally havent used crunch bag forums but everyone here seems to reccomend them so I guess thats the place
>>
>>53872891
desktop threads
>>
>>53872891
Openbox is really easy to make look nice, as long as you don't screw it up with ugly colors or gradients. It's fast and pretty with no frills. It's perfect and anyone who says otherwise is a shill.
>>
>>53872891
Would you post that wallpaper, please?
>>
>>53877082
found the source
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=38846050
>>
fucking weeb
>>
File: angry at computer.png (280 KB, 469x391) Image search: [Google]
angry at computer.png
280 KB, 469x391
>>53878453
Normie. Get back on >>>/v/ with the rest of the EBIN GAYMIN tards
>>
OP, could you be kind enough and do me a solid and send your wallpaper? I'm on mobile, I can't Google Image search.
>>
>>53879656
Can you at least read?
>>53877850
>>
>>53874517
>xml
cwm a best
>>
>>53880288
>cwm
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cwm_(window_manager)
>lacks explicit virtual desktops functionality
>literally inferior to windows 10

>doesn't draw window decorations except for 1 pixel border around the windows.
>literally less customizable than windows 10

>[used only because of] its status [as] one of the default window managers in OpenBSD, [but sometimes just because it's] out of the ordinary
>literally only using it for muh special snowflake

>generally positively received in software minimalist communities
>"I'm so minimal I barely exist"
You realize there's a reason nobody uses tinywm. It's because minimalism blows in a WM.

>even worse than windows 10
>self proclaimed special snowflake WM
>advertises having no features as a feature
why would anyone use this trash over openbox
>>
>>53880288
Wait what's wrong with XML? In some cases it's more readable than flat config files, I think Openbox is one of those cases.
>>
>>53872891
gentoo
>>
>>53872891
How do you get Firefox to stop flickering? Putting it in excursions does nothing for me.
>>
>>53884058
What do you mean by firefox flickering? Can we get a webm or something?
>>
lil late but I'm going to recommend Openbox as well. Spend a little time on it and you can make it look like basically anything.

If only the window buttons weren't limited to 1 bit color, that's really the only fault I have with it.
>>
>>53872891
have you considered killing yourself? just fucking do it.

>>>/adv/
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.