[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a good way to learn about GNU/Linux and common distributions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
Is there a good way to learn about GNU/Linux and common distributions and how they work? I don't mean the filesystem alone, I mean stuff like systemd, /etc/init.d/ fontconfig/freetype -- how the most important stuff on Linux works and is configured and how it all plays together.

I want to stop feeling like a tard just scratching at the surface when something goes wrong.
>>
>>53870492
search for :
>literally Gentoo
>LFS
>kickass torrents has a bunch of great video/books just use keyword linux or unix
>manpages
>certification programs
>library books
>a lot of curiosity and patience
>>
File: 1459817847451.jpg (166 KB, 1000x647) Image search: [Google]
1459817847451.jpg
166 KB, 1000x647
>>53870492
>>
don't bother with systemd

use gentoo and openrc
>>
File: 1456292460215.jpg (73 KB, 717x576) Image search: [Google]
1456292460215.jpg
73 KB, 717x576
>>53870684

but you really need to know how to read a man page. to a novice, man pages look like gibberish.
>>
>>53870748

If you want to develop Linux knowledge that will apply to real-world Linux jobs and actual production environments down the line, you learn systemd. Otherwise, if you want to shitpost on /g/ and the circlejerk on the Devuan mailing lists, go ahead and follow this advice.
>>
>>53870872
>systemd is good

get a load of this guy
>>
>>53870920

It is. More importantly, you need to know how to use systemd because that's what the big-boy, get-work-done distributions are using.
>>
>>53870492
>GNU/Linux
Linux
>>
>>53873159
Yeah, I only see people on /g/ saying "GNU / linux" non ironically.
Everyone else just say "linux".
>Engineers in the companies I interned in
>Professors and students in science and technology campus
>even the freetards on the local linux meeting association
>>
>>53870945
>It is
>>
>>53870945
I work at a data center and half of my job is niggering the old init.d stuff to work with systemd

No client that I talk to likes it
>>
>>53873159
Nobody likes android or alpine, fuck off.
>>
>not knowing ganoo plus looney tunes by heart

LMFAO
>>
>>53870492
>temperory files deleted on bootup
>temperory
>>
>>53870634
>LFS
This. If you want to learn about this linux from scratch is the way to go
>>
>>53877269
Bullshit it's just compiling packages from scratch 50 times over.
Arch wiki is the way to go OP
>>
>>53877269
this is so much overkill.
If you want to learn how those things, just go for rhcsa study guides, the ones for red hat 7 though.
>>
My first Linux was Gentoo.
Posting from it right now.
Stuff constantly broke, but I purposefully went for a non-convenient setup, and by now, 6 months in, it's basically mostly fine and without many issues, and I feel I've learned a lot about the workings of Linux and OS in general. Like, a year ago, I didn't even now what an ABI or ELF was.
I'm not sure how it holds up to other systems, since I haven't actually used them, but I like it a lot compared to Windows. I will probably at some point venture out into other distros just from curiosity, but at the moment I'm alright with what I have. It's quick, it's smooth, and I can customise and streamline a lot.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.