[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Can't program or do basic mathematics >Every time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 16
File: 1455838588252.png (147 KB, 358x398) Image search: [Google]
1455838588252.png
147 KB, 358x398
>Can't program or do basic mathematics
>Every time I try to learn I get frustrated and find the material too hard
>Want to learn but lack the motivation, discipline and intellect to do so, because the only reason I want to learn is to justify the amount of time I spend on the PC fucking around on 4chan so it doesn't feel like such a waste
>5 years of NEET life on the PC 24/7 and all I've learned is basic Linux administration
>>
it's ok, this is basically me too.
>>
>mfw a post hits home too hard
>>
If you have some extra money, just do this from home.

http://www.testout.com
>>
Coding isn't for you then, op. Not saying you could never do it but if it doesn't come even slightly naturally then it's probably not your niche.
>>
>>53868446
If you don't like coding, don't do coding.
Why does everyone and their mother want to start programming all of a sudden? Is it a new fad or what?

You obviously like computers, so do something that interests you: hardware administration, PC building, linux administration, windows administration, CAD, 3D modelling, support, etc.
>>
>>53868446
>>5 years of NEET life on the PC 24/7

I bet you at least finished high school, which would put you ahead of me.

Shit sucks, not sure how im supposed to pull my life around.
>>
Sorry, look for some other idea.
>>
This is kinda me. I mean, I learned HTML and JS pretty quickly (1 month), but I don't understand any technical terms, such memory leaks and shit like that.
I also want to learn a real programming language, but I always study for a day or two and eventually give up for lack of motivation, specially when I see some hard codes that I can't understand.
>>
>>53868736
>I bet you at least finished high school, which would put you ahead of me.
Finishing high school after you're older should be a piece of cake. Your mind has matured.
>>
>>53868736
>I bet you at least finished high school, which would put you ahead of me.
Dropped out at 16. In the UK we take our GCSEs at 16 and I bombed them all. No qualifications above an E grade.
>>
File: js-book[1].png (194 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
js-book[1].png
194 KB, 500x250
>>53868798
>I learned HTML and JS pretty quickly (1 month)
No you didn't.
>>
>>53868844
Ive thought about a GED and then going to a local community college, but I feel too old at 26 to do it.

Its like I will just be starting my life a whole decade late. Its all fucked up
>>
>>53868967
>but I feel too old at 26 to do it.
>26
>too old
AHAHAHAHA
You're kidding, right?
>>
>>53868879
3 hours per day for 30 days.
>>
>>53868446
i got a diploma in I.T, i can get a good grasp of all concepts of whole process of software developement and its lifr cycles, even able to read and understand codes.

But when it comes to actually coding, i suck so hard might as well offer vacume services for industrial machinary.

best i can do is be a tester or a low income technical or customer support.

im wondering if i should stay in this field or just change industry ?
>>
If you're shit at coding learn networking instead. I know a few guys that did this and they earn just as much as a decent coder. If you get CCIE you can get that 100k/year too
>>
File: 1415138607897.jpg (69 KB, 501x342) Image search: [Google]
1415138607897.jpg
69 KB, 501x342
The feels
>>
>>53868446
>Want to learn but lack the motivation [and] discipline
This is straight up wrong. There's no such thing as wanting something but lacking the motivation.

I think you're rather confused about you want. You want to *understand* mathematics, but you don't want to *learn* it.
>>
>>53869015
Im not sure, sometimes it feels that way. Your mind gets real fucked after being sheltered for so long.
>>
>>53869132
he's just a lazy useless cunt that expects to get knowledge for free so he does nothing instead
>>
>>53869079
Pajeet, is that you?
>>
>>53869079
TAKE
THE
POO
TO
THE
LOO
>>
>>53868798
Every variable when you're programming needs space inside a computer's memory because that's how the computer remembers the x you assigned 3 to has 3 in it when you use it sometimes later.

There are two main ways of assigning space to variables.
One of them is assigning space in the computer's stack which is a special part of memory used for handling function calls.

When you have a function
int foo(int x, int y)

information such as who called the function (so the computer can figure out where in the code it needs to return to after the function is over), the arguments being passed etc are all stored on the stack

any variables assigned within the function itself also just get placed on the stack
when the function is over all the things stored on the stack are cleaned up automatically, the programmer doesn't need to worry about this

The other place where you can assign memory is the heap. This is where memory leakage comes in. In languages like C and C++ the programmer is the one who has to keep track of how this memory is assigned.

The advantage of this is that unlike the stack something stored in the heap doesnt disappea when you leave the function, there's also much more room available in the heap.

The disadvantage is that every assigned variable also has to be freed by the programmer. If he doesn't free this then no one will. That piece of memory is permanently occupied and you have a memory leak.
>>
>all these random cunts deciding to try be software engineers and failing because they don't have a passion for it and find this hard to reconcile because they started this quest after reading a Wired article and watching Applel movies and heard about the money train

Spoiler: you missed it anyway
>>
File: 12432541345.jpg (43 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
12432541345.jpg
43 KB, 1280x720
>>53868446
Fuck programming OP.
Scripting is where its at and its so much better, especially on linux.
>>
File: 1439356634205.jpg (34 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1439356634205.jpg
34 KB, 720x720
I THOUGHT I WAS ON /g/ NOT /r9k/
>>
>>53869273
savage
>>
>>53869273
Its like the welding situation.
Tons of publication and media saying "WE NEED WELDERS!"

Massive layoffs in other trade fields caused people to flock and learn to weld. Now its an oversaturated market and these people are still out of a job.
>>
>>53869244
Oh, that's it?
Thanks, Anon.
>>
Normies literally ruin everything
The new trend they've latched onto is muh hip coding job
Is this some new kind of status symbol? A way to show everyone that "I don't just work like you plebs, I engineer SOFTWARE. I do important things your brain couldn't even begin to comprehend. When I go to my Creator Space, i sit down and create the future, while you plebs do manual labour, or serve people, or do cancerous shit like being a lawyer. I'm prestigious, I'm a human of the mind. It's survival of the fittest, if you can't do this move over. I'm self made, even though 95% of my code is importing libraries written by others and anything I made was done on the shoulders of giants. You wouldn't understand this anyway so I'll pretend it didn't happen. Worship muh terminal fagz"
>>
>all these random cunts deciding to try be software engineers and failing because they don't have a passion for it and find this hard to reconcile because they started this quest after reading a Wired article and watching Applel movies and heard about the money train

Spoiler: you missed it anyway
>>
>>53869375
Shut up faggot NEET
>crying because people who got out of a 2 week coding camp can compete
maybe you should try coding better
>>
>>53868696
I think more and more people are falling for the "programming will get you a three figure salary" meme, so the job market is becoming saturated with indian code monkeys and talentless comp sci grads, which slowly corrodes the value of programming as a skill because of cheap labour. I've been programming as a hobby for years, where the hell is my three figure salary?
>>
>>53868967
You definitely won't be near the oldest at a CC. Mid twenties is pretty average.
I even had a few 60+ year olds.
>>
>>53868967
Just do it anon, don't be discouraged about your age (it's just a number senpai). Plus, it'll make you feel better knowing that you have finished it.
>>
>>53869416
>three figure
I don't think < $999 a year is a good salary anon
>>
>>53868967
Better to do it "too old" than to never do it at all
>>
>>53869375
>Projecting this hard
>>
>>53868446
Find a group of dedicated non-NEET people and feed off of their motivation.
>>
>>53869630
Oops I meant six figure salary :^)
>>
File: t50-5.jpg (88 KB, 800x491) Image search: [Google]
t50-5.jpg
88 KB, 800x491
>>53868446
>tfw went for mechanical engineering because you hate searching typos or syntax errors in code
>no competition - everyone went to learn code
>tfw love your job
>tfw your babies are cast in metal
>tfw your shit flies in the sky
>tfw you actually do TECHNOLOGY not webcoding bullshit
>>
>>53869331
Difference: anyone can learn to weld. Not everyone can learn to be a software developer, clearly.
>>
>>53869814
You still CAD and simulate the shit out of it, which involves computers. Software devs win again.
>>
if you don't like programming enough to get hooked on it enough to learn- you probably won't ever be that successful at it or ever enjoy it.

the 6 figure meme only applies if you either have the passion for it or hate yourself enough to get good enough to be a strong engineer. not web CRUD work- engineering.

the majority of programming can be a huge pain in the ass especially in the enterprise when you have to deal with legacy code/build systems/... so if you aren't truly excited by the end goal then it's not going to work out

IT, network engineering, ... tons of opportunities to work with computers with good pay that doesn't require the same level of autism.
>>
>>53869892
Burgerflippers win when you have a lunch
>>
File: 1450241126240.png (259 KB, 544x830) Image search: [Google]
1450241126240.png
259 KB, 544x830
>>53869838
Feels awful. Maybe in the future, those minds will design AI that is widespread enough to allow you to interact with and enjoy it, at least.
>>
>>53869892
BTW cad is awesome fun work.
I love it.
I can make a part , and then i can play around with it simulating hypersonic armor piercing penis smashing it into bits.

can coders have so much fun?
>>
>>53869948
We MAKE your sim software.
What do you think?
>>
>>53868446
OP-kun. Direct your efforts at doing something to move towards your goals every day. Make your browser open up with something like code academy as a default page. Also you can look into getting CCNA as a cert to a decent career working in IT. Torrent dat CBTngts fgt
>>
File: 1459698519265.jpg (83 KB, 447x489) Image search: [Google]
1459698519265.jpg
83 KB, 447x489
>>53869331
>almost went to school for welding bc it seemed like easy money
>decided to try to teach self programming instead bc I like building computers and it pays well
>2 hours into python and bored as hell

I guess IT is my destiny
>>
>>53868495
Me too
>>
File: 2d80bdf.jpg (35 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
2d80bdf.jpg
35 KB, 640x360
>>53869743

can confirm
>>
>>53871058
underrated post
>>
File: 1458793922932.jpg (13 KB, 228x238) Image search: [Google]
1458793922932.jpg
13 KB, 228x238
>>53868446
>>Want to learn but lack the motivation
you don't want to learn.
>>
File: Steve-Wozniak-800x450.png (629 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Steve-Wozniak-800x450.png
629 KB, 800x450
>>53871058
>>
File: WozLumia.jpg (73 KB, 575x431) Image search: [Google]
WozLumia.jpg
73 KB, 575x431
>>53871058
you won't cheat me again
>>
>>53869035
90 hours.

Cool. You got 9,910 to go before you've truly "learnt" something.

You can't program in JavaScript, you can write JavaScript and it does stuff that you expect it to do but you can't fully explain why it does what it does, and how. There's a difference.
>>
>>53869244
>There are two main ways of assigning space to variables.
Mind that this is just an implementation strategy of current computer architectures and operating systems, mostly because it presents a convenient API.

It's in no way fundamental or inherent.
>>
File: 1457184170388.jpg (232 KB, 750x1087) Image search: [Google]
1457184170388.jpg
232 KB, 750x1087
Can someone explain certificates to a college dropout?
>>
>>53869814
You re fuking awesome senpai, im into electrical engineering, pursuing an msc now and i am loving it, also because neets in my country go to industriisl ingenieering and CC jejej
>>
>>53869998
You must be so expert then
>>
>>53871287
The point of the exercise for 30 days is after that it will eventually become a habit for the learner and the rest of the 9,910 hopefully comes eventually. Your brain won't register it as a chore anymore.
>>
Read Code by Petzold, it will teach you how to think.
>>
>>53871715
To use a rough analogy.. X.509 certificates (which are what HTTPs etc. use) are like personal ID cards with DNA samples on them.

Every certificate contains a record of your identity (DNA, in this analogy) and a record of the organization that handed out the certificate (e.g. the holographic seal that makes it hard to fake).

If somebody hands you their ID card, and you verify the ID's authenticity (by looking at the holographic seal) plus verify the DNA information on the card matches the DNA of the person, then you've verified the identity of the person.

Of course, this only works as long as you trust the country to only print accurate ID cards. If the country is corrupt, or somebody breaks into the country's printing office and uses their machines to produce fake cards, the system falls down. If somebody can fake the holographic seals independently, the system also falls down. Finally, if you fool the country itself into thinking you're somebody else, and get them to print you a fake ID card, it also falls down.

And in the real world, instead of using countries to verify X.509 certificates, we have a few hundred “certificate authorities” that you have to pay large sums of money to in order to get them to “verify” your authenticity. (And to get them to properly verify your authenticity, you have to pay them even more)

Also, every government has access to at least one, so there's really nothing stopping the Chinese government from printing fake certificates for google.com.

It's really quite a brittle system, which is why it should never be trusted blindly on its own, but instead augmented with other techniques that I won't go into here.
>>
File: uncontrollable urge.png (416 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
uncontrollable urge.png
416 KB, 640x480
>yfw NEET faggots are the new norm
/r9k/ is spreading...
>>
>>53868967
wtf just do it faggot
>>
>>53871922
Still doesn't mean you've learnt how to program though.

I'm 4 months in and I know for a fact that I'm still very much a beginner. I'm learning a lower level language than JS, and it really puts things into perspective.

The point is, if you actually believe you've fully learnt something, you'll never improve as a programmer.
>>
>>53872261
The same could be said of learning anything in this industry. A good sign you'll thrive here is you recognizing that. At some point you'll find yourself posting answers on stackexchange and still think the same thing.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhFQA998WiA
>>
>>53868446
AHAHAHAHAHAHA glad this is not me

t. Amazon C++ developer with a B.S. in Chemistry and M.S. in Mathematics
>>
>>53868446
Some people learn better from videos

Try doing that maybe
>>
>>53868446
You're actually stupid. No amount of drugs or training will ever change that and you will always lag behing in everything because of this.

Welcome to the club.
>>
Should I kill myself? How should I go about it?
>>
>>53872389
How hard was it finding a supervisor for your masters who would take a student with a chem background?
>>
Any general recommendations (That isn't on the /g/ Recommended Books) on programming?

Something like Code Complete 2.
>>
>>53872361
Questioning oneself constantly is the algorithm to mastery.
>>
>>53872430
By going to a shitty state school, lol
>>
>>53872433
Check the /sci/ wiki
>>
File: 1459143671732.jpg (459 KB, 718x709) Image search: [Google]
1459143671732.jpg
459 KB, 718x709
>>53868446
>tfw born into poverty onto farm
>tfw worked my way up to a GED and then college
>tfw graduating with CS degree at 21
>tfw already have a job lined up at Google working on NLP in C++
>tfw 6 figure salary
>tfw going to propose to my gf of 5 years

Life is good. Consider suicide.
>>
>>53872445
Well, did your supervisor help a lot in writing your thesis or were you just good at math?
>>
>>53872458
well at least I don't work for the botnet!
>>
>>53872472
We're contributing to an open-source NLP library
>>
>>53872465
Despite my major being chemistry, I took _almost_ enough math courses to get a double major, but got too lazy toward the end. My advisor was chosen for me when I got admitted. I rarely met with her though. Two profs helped me on my thesis which was about molecular geometry and wave functions. I even wrote a opencl program to go with it, which the university holds the rights to.

I am truly a dilettante. I'm half good in a few fields but a master of none.
>>
>>53872486
which one? do you accept PRs from non-Googlers? cause I'm interested.
>>
>>53868446
That's also me ... but only approx 1 year neet after finished high school - I can understand mathematics with ease ( it's just concepts really, focus on that and you're done ) I just didn't work at all during high school, also I can properly understand programming pretty quick - Started to read a book on it and progressing fast, is there hope? What should I do with my life from this point? I am literally clueless.
>>
>>53868446
The best way for most people to learn how to program is to have it beaten into them with mindless repetition exercises until the very basics are known and then to start assigning oneself homework assignments, most of which will be tiresome exercises reinventing the wheel, until you've reinvented enough wheels that you can start doing things you enjoy. I recommend you to pick up either Python or Ruby and do Learn Python/Ruby the Hard Way, and work your way through the book and once you have do what I said. Take ADD drugs if that's what it takes to keep you going. Keep doing it until sick every day. If you can't do that and learn to like it, go find another profession that does not involve programming.
>>
>>53868446
If you don't like it then don't do it OP. I got into networking because it was challenging and rewarding at the same time. It sounds like doing things with computers is your hobby, I recommend keeping it that way. That's why I never pursued a career in History or Classical Guitar (also cause no money in those lol)
>>
>>53868446
Fuck off OP, this almost hit way too hard.

>wanted to go to a decent computer science/engineering university after high school
>do shit at Gr.11 & 12 subjects because I almost never study (read: only review the notes in the same day the test is done; pretty shit @ math too because I never took the time to learn it well)
>time to apply for Uni and Colleges program, apply where there's the best probability that I would get into their program, pick a decent college that offers a bachelors for software development (CS without math)
>only got accepted at the decent college
>go to the college, start 1st semester, feel comfortable enough
>end of 1st semester, did shit, GPA is ~2.8
>second semester now, doing pretty good, GPA is ~3.5

I guess it's going fine. Just a bit jealous of the quality of the education being taught at the university I wanted to go to (UofT; SC or SG) but at the same time I feel a bit relieved that I didn't have to spend ~$13k in 1st year and at the end of the day, even if I do bad in my program I'm not going to be in that much of a financial trouble.
>>
>>53868847

What do you do for a living and where do you live?
>>
>>53868736
I'm like OP, expect the time I programmed something was when I was a teenager. Ending high school now (3rd grade) and hopefully starting study computer science in the next year.

Like another anon said, ending high school when adult isn't something bad, your mind is more mature and this time you can focus on this better.

Sorry for my English, ESL Fag here.
>>
>>53869132
Not OP but mathematic isn't hard, the problem is remember how many parts consists a complex mathematic operation. And we never found a real useful method on using this in real life.

I like computers too.
>>
>>53875101
>the problem is remember how many parts consists a complex mathematic operation
???
>>
>>53868446
It's ok, life is meaningless anyway...
>>
>>53868446
I dunno. When I'm programming, I'm genuinely interested in it, enjoying it and downright obsessed with it, but once I finish some project, I basically have no desire to pick up a new one, it seems like too much of a bother. And yet I really enjoy learning all these programming concepts, and I'm not sure that the reason I'm not programming in free time is not because I just feel inadequate about my skills or if I generally don't like it as much as I think I do. I should probably pick up at least one pet project, I never actually did one of those, I should see if I will enjoy it.
I'm doing an IT course in university for now, because if anything I can still switch once I'm going for Master's. I hope I will figure out what I want to do by then.
Learning math is fun, though.
>>
>>53868446
>tfw ADHD
>can't focus for fuck on coding
>feel obligated to learn because of a serious inferiority complex towards those who can (and sometimes want to make games but to be honest that's far out of reach)
>can't even learn HTML beyond the basics and definitely not CSS, so can't even flake out and be a webdev.
>can't even use GNU/Linux properly, relatively competent Windows user for machines I own myself while somehow less competent fixing other's machines.
Can't
Wake
U-oh is that a butterfly?
>>
>>53868446
I feel you OP, i live in a shit country and spent my childhood on a pc because there was nothing to do outside or it was too dangerous where i used to live. My father got really mad i only played games and fucked around on the pc and tried to tell me to code or do 3d modelling but the stupid thing was there was no proper way for me to learn those things. I also suck so horribly at math i might be an actual retard.

I am 26 now, just got a pol sci degree which is probably gonna be useless to me. Recently i realized that hardware and tech stuff in general is what really is one of the last things that feel interesting to me but i don't know what to do with this interest.
>>
Go to college, it'll force you to get off your ass and start doing things. You need an idea for motivation, memorizing syntax so you can "learn programming" is the most boring fucking task ever.

Start working on something simple like a Notepad application or a calculator, then you'll start figuring out how to use language X to turn that idea into reality, and once you do, you've learned and gained experience in said language without even knowing it.

Writing a million for loops won't help you understand jack shit.
>>
>>53870165
Try actually challenging yourself instead of following a tutorial line-for-line
>>
>>53869875
No you can't. Not everyone has the physical capabilities and nerves to make a good weld.
>>
>>53873878
Late-ass reply but I live on welfare with my parents. I have OCD that's bad enough to qualify as a disability so I get a fair amount of money.
>>
>>53868651
Depends on what kind of programming, I have been programming for 5 years now and only ever had to do basic math tasks.

Simple shit like if (a >= b) or if (a < b).

I think i had to use a modulus once. ONCE in 5 years...
>>
File: farm-subsidies.jpg (130 KB, 492x288) Image search: [Google]
farm-subsidies.jpg
130 KB, 492x288
>>53872458
>farm owners
>poor
pic one.
>>
>>53868798
What resources did you use to learn JavaScript?
I want to make a database where you upload info through the webpage. I just don't know where is a good place to start? I only know the basics foe HTML and a tiny bit of JS.
>>
>>53872458
post your address, I consider a kill.
>>
>>53875525
Have you seen mathematic with numbers, this is what I meant. It's too complicated.

I'm a ESL Fag, sorry.
>>
>>53868967
O holy fuck the teenage pussy i could slay if i could go back to high-school damn.
My hairline is still intact and i doesn't have any wrinkles yet, maybe i could pull that shit off at age 26.
>>
>>53880150
>farm laborers == poor
>farm owners == wealthy
both true
>>
I was told that everyone call learn to code. Was it a lie?
>>
>>53881820
>call

everyone can learn to code is true
everyone could learn to code is false
>>
>>53868967
too old? if anything you were too young last time you tried, hence the issues that sprung up. go for it man, there isnt really much to lose getting a ged, and community college is better (imo) than one of those giant money eating schools.
>>
>>53869375
this isn't the opinion of a real human
>>
>>53881880
Do good in community college and score a scholarship for a superior university.
>>
>>53869630
With a few years saving it'll buy Pajeet his very first toilet.
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.