[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
dealing with autistic developers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: Autism-Speaks-Logo.jpg (811 KB, 1286x1254) Image search: [Google]
Autism-Speaks-Logo.jpg
811 KB, 1286x1254
i'm trying to contribute to a fairly popular open-source project, but the developer keeps nitpicking my patches and rejecting them over really trivial issues, like formatting and naming shit.

I know, it's my responsibility to write patches in a manner that the maintainer demands, but fuck if it isn't killing my desire to contribute.

I think I know how womyn developers feel when they get their code reviewed by men. Since I'm not autistic, I just can't handle the the rigor of the exacting demands of an autistic mind, even though I """feel""" like my code is good.

Unlike most women "coders", though, I'm going to take responsibility for it. Still, I can't help feeling rejected. Is there some way you can give yourself autism, in the name of being a better, less emotional code machine?
>>
>>53867558
Tell him to fuck off with his autism and fork it
>>
It's important for formatting and naming to be consistent on a large open source project though.
>>
>>53867558
>formatting and naming shit.
Those are basic guidelines for contributing in every FOSS project, it would be impossible to maintain without a coherent style. Grow a thicker skin
>>
>>53867558
>the developer keeps nitpicking my patches and rejecting them over really trivial issues, like formatting and naming shit

Can you elaborate a bit, how are you formatting your code?
>>
>>53867685
I use spaces, the project uses tabs.
>>
>>53867976
>>53867558
You're a fucking idiot. Formatting and naming is actually really important to keep consistent across a project.
It should take you two minutes to fix, tops.
>>
>>53867620
this, if you are too stupid too follow their standards then GTFO.
>>
>>53867558
>Is there some way you can give yourself autism

Get an adderall prescription.
>>
File: George-Costanza-OCBD1.jpg (46 KB, 394x370) Image search: [Google]
George-Costanza-OCBD1.jpg
46 KB, 394x370
>>53867976
>spaces
>>
>>53867558
Pajeet, pls.
>>
>>53867976
>ever using tabs
Yeah I can see why you're getting frustrated with these fuckers
>>
>>53868011
>>53868027
>>53867646
I know that. but it's still annoying and dejecting to put so much work into something and then have it shot down.
>>
>>53868393
It doesn't matter how hard you worked on the project. If your code is shit, it's shit.
>>
>>53867976
I shiggy sha shoop de bowow bebop hope you motherfuckers don't do this
>>
Watch one of McJuggerNuggets videos. I swear to god my IQ dropped after I started watching them.
>>
>>53871668
what is this shit, a reality TV show? I couldn't even get through the intro. Stop watching this trash
>>
All large enough programming projects have style guides, and it's not just a thing autistic developers do. Try to contribute to a Microsoft project with a different manner of indentation, they'll tell you to change it and try again.

>I feel like my code is good
No one cares about you or your feelings. The product is the only thing that matters, and for the sake of not making an unmaintainable mess, standards are put in place regulating how the code should be formatted. Want to use a different formatting? Start your own damn project. Otherwise put your ego aside and follow the damn guidelines.
>>
>>53867976
You're just retarded for not following the project's style.

First rule of programming: keep doing whatever the existing code is doing, even if it's using camel case hungarian notation brainfuck or some shit.
>>
This happened to me once, but the autistic guy didn't give a style guideline or any examples for what it should look like. If there is an easy example or formatting visible it's on you, but these autistic guys just think everything in their heads are common knowledge.
>>
>>53867558
stop being a fucking wanker for a start
if you were cooking food, and someone jammed the ingredients in your pan with no care would you accept the changes?
be less of a fucking idiot, the develop doesn't have autism: he just cares about his project and wants it to stay maintainable
>>
>>53872160
>No one cares about you or your feelings.
Unless you're a transpoly otherkin womyn of course :^)
>>
File: 1436827789297.jpg (47 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1436827789297.jpg
47 KB, 500x375
>>53867976
>spaces
There is literally no reason to prefer spaces over tabs.
>>
>>53867976
>spaces
WHAT THE FUCK?
>>
>>53872160
>No one cares about you or your feelings. The product is the only thing that matters
A lot of people would disagree with that, nowadays. Look no further than CoCs on github to see what I'm talking about.

I'm just saying I got a taste of what it must feel like to be one of those talentless women feeling ostracized from contributing from open-source because their code isn't good enough. It's a sucky feeling.

I don't agree that the solution is to blame the patriarchy/autists/misogyny, or to establish some kind of anti-meritocracy where everyone's contributions are accepted, but I do see why they'd want to do this.
>>
>>53867976
Using different indentation and naming conventions is a big deal, not nitpicking.
Just suck it up, make the changes, and send the patch again. This is completely normal and to be expected. Rejecting a patch is not much of a critique, don't take it personally.
Suck it up and do it, faggot.

But how the fuck did you mess up this badly? Spaces I stead of tabs, seriously? Did you not even check out the codebase? Do they not have CONTRIBUTING.md file or something like that?
>>
>>53867586
This. Same bullshit is spouted by plan9 turds as they claim to be open source but refuse all forms of contribution and it hasn't changed in a decade. There is literally no higher autism than programming losers, I think if someone who had died that worked on a painting for 10 years came back to see it being restored they would probably have less autism. That's what you're dealing with, OP. Fork it.
>>
>>53872691

Yes, talentless, entitled people generally tend to resort to stupid shit because muh feels.
>>
File: Yamada23232.jpg (10 KB, 244x284) Image search: [Google]
Yamada23232.jpg
10 KB, 244x284
>>53867558
Listen here little baby. You're gonna get a lot of hurtful and degrading comments, but that ain't what I'm about. Let me just say, you are perfect the way you are. You hear me sugar? PERFECT. Don't ever change. You deserve anything and everything you want. Stay safe for me, baby girl.
>mfw thinking of you hurting
>>
post a link to the project and your code review
>>
>>53867586
/thread
>>
>>53867558
Fork the repo and remove the CoC.
>>
>>53867976
i wanted to /thread this post >>53867586 but m8, kys tbqh
>>
>>53867558
It's not autismic to require contributors to match a common style. They also probably want you to comment sometimes too.
>>
>>53872358
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
OP is a fag

>complaining about styling and variables naming
I'm 100% sure that the project you want to contribute has a clear document about how to style your code to make your code readable by other devs. Only Indians cannot understand this.
>>
>>53867558
You are the autist, OP

When you work with others you need to understand their needs, they're there for a reason
Please talk to your handler if you get upset, not /g/
>>
>caring about indents
Maximum autism
>>
>>53867976
>the project uses tabs
Into the trash it goes.jpg
>>
File: 1459284781440.png (1 MB, 1300x4704) Image search: [Google]
1459284781440.png
1 MB, 1300x4704
>>53876459
Youd feel like home working for Currysoft
>>
>>53872355
Shit example since too many cooks spoil the broth anyway.
>>
>>53867976
Any half decent IDE will allow you to quickly reformat your code to the projects standards, it's not the developers fault that you're a mouth breathing moron.
>>
>>53874961
fat :^3
>>
>>53867558
Ever thought it was you who is the autistic one?
>>
>>53867586
This.
fork it and dont look back
>>
>>53874922
Y-you too kind Sir
>>
>>53867558
>Is there some way you can give yourself autism, in the name of being a better, less emotional code machine?
SSRIs worked for me.

Then I stopped taking them because I still had no motivation to do anything with my life, but I also had no emotions.
>>
File: 2016-04-05_19-28-18.png (4 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-05_19-28-18.png
4 KB, 275x183
>>53867558
wew lad, that was hard.
>>
Isn't CS, along with probably math, like the best field for people with asbergers?
>>
>>53868393
it's just formatting. get him to write you an autistic laundry list of everything he wants you to change and do it
>>
>>53867586
>>53876874
One of these, OP.
>>
>>53878421
>Isn't math, along with probably CS, EE, ME and physics, like the best field for people with asbergers?
FTFY
>>
>>53872244
shhht, real programmers are meant to just lurk in /g/, let these kids talk
>>
>>53878436
Wouldn't it be easier for him to just fix it?
>>
thank god I force ESlint and JSCS on the projects I maintain for the enterprise that I work for, so you won't be able to commit anything that is not compliant to the code style used.

I can see that you >>53878436 and many others here never worked, and never worked in a team
>>
>>53867558
Pooinloo detected.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.