[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trackballs. What to look for in one? Good brands? General info plox
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: rwerew.jpg (13 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
rwerew.jpg
13 KB, 500x500
Trackballs. What to look for in one? Good brands? General info plox
>>
>>53866191
>General info plox
you're retarded if you think they're a good input method for anyone without a disability
>>
>>53866254
considering no gayming at all - why not to use it?
>>
lol senpai why not just flip over your old mouse and use it as pic related? ur not old enough to own one desu
>>
File: 419cOlujlrL._SY400_.jpg (11 KB, 342x400) Image search: [Google]
419cOlujlrL._SY400_.jpg
11 KB, 342x400
Logitech M570. The only one you'll ever need.
>>
>What to look for in one?
Make sure the ball is on the top side. If it's on the bottom side, what you have there might actually be a "mouse".
>>
>>53866274
>no gaymin
The only reason i can think of using that shit IS gayming,
and in particular as a movement input in RPGs that console players fag on about in regards to the controller stick, as a substitute for that stick.
Assuming the trackball is a secondary and the mouse can still do laser/optical on the bottom.
>>
I have that one and it feels like cheap crap, and I never quite got used to the way the ball juts out like that.

I'm currently using this; it's what I bough a month ago after the right button on my old one from 2002 started crapping out. Only thing that sucks about it is not having a scroll wheel.
>>
File: 71SUe9nkS5L._SL1500_.jpg (162 KB, 1500x1334) Image search: [Google]
71SUe9nkS5L._SL1500_.jpg
162 KB, 1500x1334
>>53867309
Pictures help, I guess.
>>
As someone using a vertical mouse for RSI/CT, has anyone else with such an issue tried a trackball? Horizontal mice will render my right arm unusable from numbing pain in about 3-4 days, so I'm always looking for another thing to try out.
>>
anybody use one on a couch or recliner?
>>
>>53867606
I have an old RS232 serial trackball with an absurdly long cable that reaches to the couch.
>>
>>53866191
Smooth motion. A large ball is better. Programmable buttons. High DPI is nice.
>>
>>53867196
+1
>>
>>53867196
Can't stand thumb trackballs. Limited motion range and limited choice in contact. Kind of nice to be able to use either hand with a good fap session.
>>
File: CST2545-5W_big.jpg (142 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
CST2545-5W_big.jpg
142 KB, 800x533
I have pic related, it's good shit, haven't tried it on CS:GO tho
>>
>>53869099
Only problem I have with the LTrac is that the middle+right click changes the dpi setting. Since I use right click for zoom and middle click for melee there are the rare occasion where I'd go from sights to melee and lose a lot of turn speed until I fix it.
>>
File: trackballs.jpg (483 KB, 1600x1364) Image search: [Google]
trackballs.jpg
483 KB, 1600x1364
>>53866191
>Trackballs. What to look for in one?
there's no answer to this one. Personal preference matters a lot. Generally a big ball gives you more precision and it has inertia - which is good for everyday work but sucks for gaming. Then again, you might prefer thumb trackballs and they all have tiny balls.

>Good brands?
- Kensington. (either Expert Mouse, Slimblade, or Orbit with scroll)
- CST (they pretty mch make one model just with different features)
- Logitech (either thumb or finger trackball - one each. They used to rule this niche, but didn't update their devices in many many years)
- Elecom. (japanese import. If you ant a thumb ball, get the latest generation (name starts with M-XT3), the first ones had problems. Finger ball is OK. THe only company that makes a left-handed thumbball. Has mixed QC)

If you don't want to pay $500 for industrial grade equipment or 10 year old holy-grail -type devices, that's all that counts. Other companies are chinese shit.
If you DO want to spend $500, either get Microsoft Trackball Explorer (legacy), or something from Cursor Controls (industrial)

>General info plox
- Don't spend too much on your first device, unless you can easily return it. Getting used to it will take a few days and you MIGHT hate it. (but if you happen to like it, it'll be the most comfortable input device)
- If you get one of the large ball ones, set cursor acceleration to highest value and try to get used to it. You can make very precise movements with your fingertips, or spin the ball and use it's inertia to throw the cursor across several screens
- I liek trackballs
- All the really ergonomic ones stopped being made over a decade ago.
>>
File: 047.jpg (96 KB, 600x1420) Image search: [Google]
047.jpg
96 KB, 600x1420
>>53867243
I have one. From experence, expect no gaming ability, but its like god browsing around your desktop, not to mention that you dont need a mousepad.
>>
>>53869241
>2012
>using mousepads
>>
>>53867328
i have this sitting in my closet
>>
>>53869343
I have a glass desk so nothing really works.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.