[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BBSs, Usenet, Gopher, etc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: legends.png (13 KB, 639x218) Image search: [Google]
legends.png
13 KB, 639x218
What's /g/'s opinion on old communication technology and the place it has in the modern world?

Is there space for pure text in the current multi-media environment of the web?
>>
File: prodigy-online1.jpg (11 KB, 172x172) Image search: [Google]
prodigy-online1.jpg
11 KB, 172x172
Not really. Information was rare then... no information is rare anymore.

I want to go back
>>
>>53866267
I'd say information is rarer now in comparison to non-information.
>>
>>53866309
>>53866309
the fuck is "non-information"
>>
>>53866344
>Hi this is Markiplier and welcome back to Prolapse.
>>
I still use IRC but that's the oldest protocol I still use nowadays. IRC still fulfills it's purpose perfectly so no reason to stop using it.
>>
>>53866137

I don't think there is a mainstream use-case, but I'm nostalgic for the days when I'd download Roxanne Spears' BBS list once a quarter.
>>
>>53866137

I miss that stuff. When i was 11 through 13, i ran a few BBSes back in the early 90s. First one used CBBS or Wildcat until i found the highly customizable Renegade Software. I remeber making menus with ansi escape sequences and even used ripterm.

had door games, fidonet, secret warez areas for donating members... awesome times.
>>
>>53866344
>Le Millenial Fag

Here they come
>>
I think those would make a massive come back if we could build up inertia.

The reason no one uses them is that no one uses them.
>>
>>53868241
China still uses BBS.
>>
>>53868241
Why would any normie use a BBS when its baseline functionality is almost exactly replicated, verbatim, by a Facebook group?
>>
I've taken to using a Raspberry Pi to mess around with qodem, slrn, lynx. It's fun seeing what is around with such "limitations."

Looking at the tiny wattage I'm using for spending ages with this is making me start to get all political, about how text files and the small computers than run them will save the world.

I mean, people don't drive v8s anymore due to the price of fuel, and the political nature of oil is making people feel unsure about being dependant on it. Maybe it's time we get on a similar level with computers?

I bet you could make a BBS/Gopher client for a phone and, if you could hide its nature well enough, people would flock to it due to its speed and wealth of information.
>>
>>53868241
too centralized
should be something that fits "modern" internet more
>>
>>53866137
>What's /g/'s opinion on old communication technology

It was shit
>and the place it has in the modern world?
no place
>Is there space for pure text in the current multi-media environment of the web?
yes
>>
>>53868241
I agree.
maybe someone with experience can either recommend one, or set one up for /g/, and include the info in the installgentoo wiki page? I know I'd would use it if available.
>>
>>53868485
How are BBSs centralized?

Or, rather, how are personal boards more "centralized" than a big site owned by a company that everyone posts on? Two different boards are two different sites, one-hundred Facebook groups are still one site.

I guess that's not much of an attraction to the "Wow I can log in to my bank with my Facebook account" crowd.
>>
>>53866344
Facebook, Twitter, general info regarding your high school friend's kids which nobody needs to know about
>>
File: 1435033255764.jpg (10 KB, 148x214) Image search: [Google]
1435033255764.jpg
10 KB, 148x214
>Install NetRunner
>Connect to random BBS
>TYPE NEW TO CREATE ACCOUNT
>Exit NetRunner
>>
>>53868558
who's talking about facebook?

all I mean with modern internet, is a large network of peers instead of a few numbers everyone dials into
>>
>>53868629
You know you don't use your real name, right?

Even if it says to I always just used my handle.
>>
>>53868676
Modern internet is a large group of consumers all homed in on a very few sites.
>>
>>53866137
Nostalgia is a bad thing and always leads to a dead end.

Those technologies should be analyzed and good things should be salvaged from them. The rest of it, including our emotional attachment to them, should be forgotten.

>>53868326
I think fighting for normies is a lost cause. They are into personalized experience and social media noise. They need a common ground provided by popular social media so they can extend themselves.

One of the ways for getting some normies to use whatever this modern version of text-only channel of communication would be is to market it as professional and productive no-bullshit environment with no distractions. And then maybe adapt the basic version of it to various niche interests.

It should come with good encryption and a promise that it never connects to your social media accounts where all the distractions are. It should be your own small, custom social network, owned and hosted by its members in peer-to-peer fashion from their mobile devices, computers and rented servers.
>>
>>53866137
usenet is still viable. I've only seen gopher used in 2016 by special snowflakes whose site says, "look i'm a gopher site"

we need more personal home pages on the web. medium and backchannel (medium) aren't the only publishing platforms, though they develop the "social text" idea nicely. they're just full of shills.

put up ur txt bro
>>
>>53868451
I, too, am exploring this rhelm with a Pi B+ connected to an old Commodore 1084 monitor. My VIC-20 having died long ago.
>>
>>53868854
The issue with the "distraction-less" approach is that it gave birth to the Hemmingwrite.

I can only imagine it being sold as a medium that is built around longer discussions, with longer posts. The system would be built around this. Maybe even throw in the BBS concept of downloading everything, going offline, and then posting again later in one upload.

Having such a system would mean that people could download in the morning, think about it through the day, then upload their piece later.
>>
>>53869022
I see your point.

This approach would be especially great for academic or technical discussions.

I don't see any point in going offline, though. Everybody's online all the time nowadays.

That's why I thought peer-to-peer would be a great system of distribution. You download what you're missing and start hosting for others while you read, think and write. You become your own infrastructure because Internet access is available everywhere and if you are engaged in a slow-paced discussion, this makes even more sense.
>>
>>53869188
The offline thing is more of a declaration of culture than actual usage. Something to get the point across that you don't have to rush your reply in as quickly as possible before the discussion cools down.

Making it so the result you want is part of the design.

Plus, it's all text, there's no reason not to allow users to just pull the lot downstream. I mean, isn't the first decade of UseNet something like 80MB? War and Piece is only 1mb in text, so we're not talking about anything but convenience.

What if the peer-to-peer thing worked like torrent seeds? Where you pull from a user if one is present rather than the server. Would keep hosting costs down significantly.
>>
nothing but old people talking about ' lel d00d squirrels ' and spazzing about unfunny 80s catch-phrases
>>
>>53868854
NICE SHILLING HERE
>>
>>53869349
Sounds interesting. I'd like to see something like this come to life.

It would never become a major communication channel for normies, but it could be well accepted in education and hobby groups, since it would be so cheap and independent.
>>
>>53869499
Shilling for what, "Vote Drumpf."?
>>
>>53869583
You could even just set up voluntary seeds/mirrors, so even if the main server goes down it's still out there. Not sure how the re-routing would work, maybe a seedlist as part of the subscription meta-data?
>>
>>53869349
>>53869188
>>53869022
>>53869583
Isn't this Fidonet only rather than with mail it's open discussions?
>>
>>53869715
>maybe a seedlist as part of the subscription meta-data
That sounds reasonable.

We're talking about slow text-only communication on powerful computers and even about treating the net like it's 90's again.

I'm guessing developing countries would love something like this as an alternative of Facebook becoming "le internet" by making deals with local telecom providers.
>>
>>53869973
This is what I'm talking about. Pure text is the great equalizer. There's this big push to get developing countries online, but no one has thought if they could even do anything with the connection speed they have or the hardware.

Watching the BBS documentary there's a scene where a guy talks about a doctor who can only get up-to-date AIDS information from BBS, because the phone lines aren't firewalled like the internet is.
>>
>>53869640
in general
about muh social sites
and the ignorance of sekf hosted bbs

you cunt
>>
I love going to usenet and insulting some of the faggots there

usenet flamewars are best flamewars
>>
>Di 8253. Sep 02:39:51 CEST 1993
>kids still talking about usenet
>>
>>53870029
Speaking of that, there's a puretext version of wikipedia on gopher.
>>
>>53870029
Well, now I need to kill 5 hours by finally watching that documentary.

So this would be cheap, empowering, educational and green.

>>53870249
Cool. That reminds me of this: http://www.textise.net/
For those who are too lazy to use lynx or other text-based browsers.
>>
>>53866137
Forums are still a thing, But they are dieing. Normie's don't even know what a moderator is anymore. Snapchat and instagram are the new norm.

I wish i could go back.
>>
>>53870593
well you seem a little shillin here

on your beloved social sites you get spam from AHMED with his cat and comments on mainstream news

on many forums you get better info than mainstream news

so fuck off
>>
>>53870629
Underage please go.
You must be from /pol/, because i'm not shilling for anybody. I do wish that forums where as big as they once were. It's sad indeed that social media is as big as it is.
>>
>>53870629
Do you actually believe anons are shilling social media in general by claiming it's mainstream? How delusional are you?

Nobody said anything about quality of information. It's just that social networks are the norm today.

I bet you were talking about stormfront anyways, pleb.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.