[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Ph.D. in Math >any job I want >$300k starting How
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7
File: mathphd.jpg (34 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
mathphd.jpg
34 KB, 640x427
>Ph.D. in Math
>any job I want
>$300k starting

How many of you fell for this and ended up majoring in Math?
>>
/sci/ unironically believes it
>>
File: smug anime reaction image.jpg (21 KB, 396x392) Image search: [Google]
smug anime reaction image.jpg
21 KB, 396x392
>>53862544
not me because I'm not a fucking nerd
>>
Should I go for a math minor? I probably took half of the classes by now.
>>
I'm really bad in math. Embarrassingly bad. What can I do to get better at it?
>>
desu if i didnt suck at math id be complaining about an astronomy degree instead being useless

>born too early to explore the galaxy
>born too late to explore the world
>>
>>53862544

I did. Majored in Applied Math. How fucked am I, /g/?
>>
>>53862594
learn math, holy fucking hopelessness, you must be shit at everything
>>
>>53862607
machine learning can save your career, just go into that and never come back again
>>
>>53862604
born just in time to 4chan
>>
>>53862607
Pretty fucked.
>>
>>53862623

>machine learning

Isn't that just a buzzword?
>>
>>53862579

I would do it if you're close. People usually shit their pants when they see anyone is educated in anything math related.
>>
>>53862612
Sadly yes. I should probably just kill myself but I want to improve
>>
>>53862637
Nice. I'll try. Why is that though?
>>
>>53862671

Because of the "OMG MATHS ARE HARD" mentality. It's sad really. Anything more than multiplying two two-digit numbers is wizardry to a lot of people.
>>
>>53862631
I would say its a pretty stablished field. Sometimes known as statistics
>>
>>53862578
HOLY shit she's ugly.

Why are so many women unattractive?
>>
>>53862718

>it's just statistics
>but we need a fancy name for it
>let's call it "machine learning"

Definition of buzzword right there tbqhwyf.
>>
>>53862732
Post your face Mr.Fabio.
>>
>>53862732
getaloadofthisguy.jpg
>>
>>53862594
Do homework. All the problems.
>>
>>53862604
At least you can browse dank memes.
>>
>>53862736
Not really. I would say that ML is a sub-field of statistics. Just like econometrics or bioinformatics. They are statistics. But focused on different issues/tecniques
>>
>>53862607
Apply it to anything STEM, finance, economics, or statistics and you're fine
And there's a fuck ton in STEM
>>
>>53862666
but learning math is so fucking straight forward, literally do math, solve problems, read books

hurr durr how do I math
>>
>>53862631
how else would you call it retard
>>
>>53862594
Read linear algebra done right
>>
>>53862945
Applied statistics. Or just statistics maybe
>>
>>53862732
t. ugly neckbeard
>>
>>53862732
You say that as if you find more men attractive than women
Gay
>>
>>53862544
Probably going to major in Math with minor in CS at a top 30 school in the fall.

Not falling for the 300k starting meme. Hoping for around 60-70K starting. Actually hoping I maintain a 3.7+ GPA and find a job that will pay for grad school to hook me in deep.

But more focused on getting a comfy job to save up some cash because I have a big in with a local security start up company that's growing fast. The owner is very interested in cyber security, surveillance and valuables security all of which would be in my field dealing with cryptography, hardware, biometrics, etc....

So that's a cool route trying to start my own information security firm.
>>
>>53862544
better than major in cs getting replaced with curry.
>>
>>53868272
With only a CS minor, good luck learning how to do any of that.
>>
>>53868410
Please gooby. Security cameras and receivers can be done by any chump without an A+.

Cryptography is smack dab on the head the CS and Math. I don't need to develop biometric hardware I need to implement it. Big difference
>>
>>53862714
Can confirm
>>
$300k / yr? Are you counting cards OP?
>>
File: 51smp9nGlHL._SL1500_.jpg (56 KB, 378x500) Image search: [Google]
51smp9nGlHL._SL1500_.jpg
56 KB, 378x500
>>53862594
>>
File: RWBSDFx.png (331 KB, 368x518) Image search: [Google]
RWBSDFx.png
331 KB, 368x518
>>53870581
>>
people fell for this?

it doesn't even make sense. how can you have any job you want and necessarily make 300k/year? what if you wanted to wash windows for a living? what if you wanted to teach math?

did you look ahead and identify any jobs that you wanted that demanded a math degree? did they pay well? did they seem interesting to you?

i don't have any sympathy if you majored in the wrong field. you had at least 2, most likely 4+ years to set aside 1 hour and think about your future and career goals.
>>
>>53872620
robbing banks, streetwalking, selling used "girl's" underwear on ebay, drug dealing
>>
File: 1392744517253.jpg (86 KB, 684x684) Image search: [Google]
1392744517253.jpg
86 KB, 684x684
Math isn't a meme major, but unless you actually like doing math then you're going to think it is when you try to find a job after graduating. It's not an instant path to success but you could easily be making six figures if you know what you're doing and you don't hate math like half of the people who major in it seem to.
>>
>>53862544
>Ph.D in maths
>any jon I want
>30k starving
>>
>>53872707
how do these jobs relate to anything i said in my post? are you answering a question? i asked like 5
>>
>>53862544
I have a master's in math and work as a programmer

If you truly enjoy math, go for it. You'll have a wide range of career options.

If you only want to study for a guaranteed high paying job, it's better to get a healthcare degree like pharmacy, dentistry, medicine, etc.
>>
>>53870581
...Is this actually helpful? I'm probably worse at math than that other guy
>>
>>53872809
I kinda like it and I was terrible at math in school.
>>
>>53862544
I majored in math, but went with the actuary meme. Currently an excel monkey earning $50k which is fine considering I had zero plans. Being a wagecuck is the absolute worst though, I bet coding jobs are as bad as this.
>>
>>53872864
I hope those two aren't related :^)
>>
>>53872874
I've been considering this after finishing my statistics degree. Is it true that you'll get paid more just for passing more tests? It seems like a good deal, but the way you describe doesn't sound that way.
>>
I majored in mathematics. Just math. About to graduate.

I have realized this was a mistake and am trying to pass the actuarial exams as a last-minute effort. God help me.
>>
>>53862544
>Ph.D. in Math
>any job I want
>$300k starting
>choose to be a cubicle research monkey like all other Ph.D. in math
>earn 70k
>have to keep publishing to keep me relevant
>math undergrads can't even into trigonometric entities
>man, should had studied engineering instead.
>>
>>53862714
I lied about this on a resume and got a job at a pretty large financial company.

It works.
>>
>All the people in this thread making me feel bad for majoring in math
I'll take like...40k a year starting, no joke. I just need a place to START.

Basically since I didn't get any internships, if I can just find a job that offers some experience for a little while I'll leverage the fuck out of it down the line.
>>
>>53872741
30k isn't even bad for math major, the ones I know all work as math tutors and part-time at other jobs making very irregular pay
>>
>>53872947
The field is getting filled fast, so it really depends where you're working. Some companies are pretty chill with that and let you go at your own pace, but some really want you to pass those exams. I'm in the former, but both will definitely pay for your exams most of the time. Regarding the workplace, it's just that I'm an ungrateful shit. I'd love to NEET it out, learning new things while indulging in media, but I won't leach from my parents or my country.

>>53872969
Didn't your math curriculum include CS? I loved CS and basically took a minor in it, the people who hired me liked that. The CS and actuary memes are getting strong, act now before it's too late.
>>
>>53872971
>>math undergrads can't even into trigonometric entities
Well shit me either, that sounds scary as fuck desu.
>>
>>53873055
I took 1 class in CS and taught myself a few programming languages on the side.

I'm taking this "Actuarial Statistics" class my last semester though.

I seriously think if I pass the actuarial tests and all that I can become an actuary. I am acting on this as fast as I can.
>>
>>53862732
I think she's okay, would still fuck.
>>
>>53873015
>Basically since I didn't get any internships, if I can just find a job that offers some experience for a little while I'll leverage the fuck out of it down the line.

there are no jobs if you have no experience

join the club famalam
>>
>>53862544

>Majored in math and stats
>120k base 50k first-year bonus starting

Everything went better than expected

I'll probably leave and do something I like more though.
>>
>>53873055
>I'd love to NEET it out, learning new things while indulging in media, but I won't leach from my parents or my country.
Actually that's kind of why I'm so glad that I like math. A lot of the jobs that deal with it are relatively comfy, and having tasted the NEET life before I don't think I could ever be an engineer or programmer. Thanks.
>>
>>53873055
I graduate in December. Going to have taken actuarial statistics, a few other stats courses, a finance course, economics course, and a programming course, and hopefully this summer I can contribute to some open source project and improve my coding a little.

And by the time I graduate, I should have 3 actuarial tests passed, and I graduate with math degree.

Hoping this will get me there.

>>53873099
Anything man. I just need a job after a graduate. I don't care if it's related to my major or not, just A job that will pay the bills while I try to work my way up and try to find something better if necessary.
>>
>>53873099

>NEET for 4 months
>finally land entry level job making 37k CAD a year in field as a "just fucking fix it" dude

In 6 months, i've done everything from pulling cat5e to rooms on a construction site for 3 weeks, to writing custom microcontrollers code solo, onsite, literally deploying while writing.

I'm not even sure if i'm underpaid or overpaid anymore.
>>
>>53862714
I don't know man I'm in EE and I still think the people majorinh in Math have it worse than me.
>>
>>53873271

Math can be harder or easier depending on the type of learner you are. For me, fourier transformations finally clicked once I saw it on a scope. Seeing all the math you learned come to fruition in a real life example is a really liberating experience, it makes all the suffering seem like it was worth something in the end.

Mathematicians however, quite literally, do not work in our reality, so they are entirely dependent on themselves to understand shit.
>>
>>53873369
I think that's exactly why I would have such a terrible time in math. I don't feel like I can understand things until I see them or see their effects.
>>
>>53873419

The process my prof used was theory -> show math -> show RL example -> lab is recreate example

Rinse and repeat for literally everything in EE

You either understand, or drop out.
>>
File: IMG_20160404_135849.jpg (2 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160404_135849.jpg
2 MB, 3120x4160
>>53873219
That shit sounds really good on a resume. Evidence that you can act on your own and work above and beyond etc. Something like "programmed custom microcontrollers onsite" sounds really impressive and says a lot about your work ethic
>>
>>53873485
That's more or less how my classes have been and it's great. Went from accounting to computer science to this and I finally fit.
>>
>>53873271
Math's a hell of a lot easier anon, they don't care about application.
>>
>>53862544
>>53872620
>its a meme
I have a ph.d in math and i can make over 300k at any job. Like currently i wash windows for 30k but i know if i told my boss i had a phd in math and told him he forgot a 0 on my pay he would fix it since im obviously brilliant. Get fucked it fags.
hahaha...ha...;_;
>>
>>53873889
I think I'm just retarded with proofs and theoritcal stuff. I can handle application just fine.
>>
>>53873219
probably underpaid depending on your location

I got payed 32k a year for 4 months to sit in an office pretending to be doing work until the company hit financial troubles
>>
>>53862544
well, some big private schools to millionaire kids do pay that kind of money
>>
EE here

How fucked am I, /g/?
>>
>>53872593
Why is this always posted in response to a "A manga guide to ___"
>>
>>53874656
>>
>>53862714
I feel the same, bro.
Is like at my school people do not even tried to understand derivatives when for me was the easiest shit ever studied in math.
>>
>>53874741
>>53874656
because rain teranova is probably the only person on the internet that makes "memes" worth enlarging...
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.