[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any real benefit to having a dual CPU setup when not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: xeon.jpg (384 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
xeon.jpg
384 KB, 750x1000
I was wondering, because this retard
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfscbJldcAI&t=1051s)

spent 10k on his setup, and he's got a dual xeon system, but is that any better than say, a single I7? if it is, are the advantages negligible or?

thanks in advance, famalams
>>
>>53860734
shameless self bump
>>
Max clock speed is only 3.7GHz but the cache is huge. I doubt it is worthwhile at all for /v/.
>>
lol no
>>/v/
>>
click able link for clover friends
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfscbJldcAI&t=1051s
>>
jesus fucking christ this guy is cringey to watch
>>
>>53861048
>>>/v/
for what purpose? i was asking if there was any real purpose for having more than one CPU outside of server use
>>
>>53860734
What's he using it for? Gaming? In which case, no.

If he also uses it as a workstation it makes sense.

You can reserve a couple of cores to play games whilst having the rest work on computations.
>>
>>53860734
>intel xeon
>nvidia 980
he got jewed hard
>>
>>53861173
He's using it for running VMware, and do video rendering as well as gamming.
>>53861182
not sure why he didn't go the extra half mile and get the ti desu
>>
>>53861202
Then I can see the use, although multipurpose PCs are just irritating; it's better to just have another PC for gaming.
>>
>>53860734
>They decided to put in 2 a shoes GTX 980
>>
>>53861233
what did he mean by this
>>
The objectively best CPU for gaymen (price not considered) is the 4790k.

More than enough multicore performance and the best single thread performance for poorly coded games and emulators.
>>
>>53861251
If 'he' refers to the guy in the video, it's because he paid these "prugal systems" guys to make him a PC
if 'he' refers to the poster, it's because of how the guy pronounces ASUS
>>
>>53861227
Multi purpose is the problem here. Running your gaming software(games & gpu drivers) on a VM. No to smart. Now your game sites on another software layer to get access to the hardware. Which mean you need more hardware power. Pretty stupid setup but to each his own. Can he game and render at the same time? Will one be taking a performance hit if that's done? When more VM are added wtf happens to space and memory? This rig is perfect for a guy on youtube not the real world.
>>
>>53860734
Anything more than a handful of cores is probably wasted in most workstation.

The most common exceptions are massively parallel code compilation and high-end image/video editing, where software is designed to take advantage of moar koors.
>>
>>53860734
He was trying to kill a cat in GTA 5. What the fuck? Sick faggot.
>>
File: 1456653642509.jpg (18 KB, 409x377) Image search: [Google]
1456653642509.jpg
18 KB, 409x377
>>53861093
>start video
>skip start as usual
>first thing I hear is:
>"you can't build a system like this without having some custom LED lighting"
>>
>>53860734
>around ten and a half minutes in
>"8190MB" noticed for 2x4GB cards
since when did VRAM stacking become a thing?
>>
>>53860734
Does spending $1000 feel the same as spending $10000? If yes, a dual-cpu setup may be right for you
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.