[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys I am trying to build a gayman PC. My laptop's 650M
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: great pc.png (28 KB, 420x587) Image search: [Google]
great pc.png
28 KB, 420x587
Hey guys I am trying to build a gayman PC. My laptop's 650M is already showing its age so... yeah.

I was looking at LI but the great PC only has one option for the 960.

The ZOTAC GeForce GTX 960 2G

Meanwhile other sites have more options like

MSI - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black

eVGA - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black

Is there any difference? Will it affect the unit if I don't go what LI says?

Also, the Great PC has AMD processors only. How do I know if I can use an intel processor? Or can I use one at all?

Why nvidia? As stated my laptop has a 650M and since 2011 it's been performing great. I am happy with their products and I'd like to continue doing so. This has nothing to do with meme cards and shit. I don't care for that.

However if you guys have a reason to get ATI's I am open to suggestion.

And last one question, sorry. Are there any compact cases? I don't want a monster hueg tower.
>>
anyone?
>>
>>53860650
1. Don't buy a GPU now. In a few months both AMD and Nvidia will release their new line-up which is supposed to be a lot better, though a lot of negative news is being released every day.

2. Don't get the 960 4gb. It has a 128bit bus that basically trottles over 2gb of vram. You can look up benchmarks and see how the 4gb model has like 1 fps more than the 2gb model.
>>
>>53860650
>However if you guys have a reason to get ATI's I am open to suggestion.
Now you're just asking for shills to post and start some brandwar.

> Are there any compact cases? I don't want a monster hueg tower.
More than ever. There's mini-ITX, which are really small and need special parts usually.
And there is micro-ATX, which fits more standard parts, and has a wider and cheaper selection of motherboards. They're bigger tho
>>
Get a R9 380 4gb faggot
$200, 256bit bus, better than anything 960.
>>
>Also, the Great PC has AMD processors only. How do I know if I can use an intel processor? Or can I use one at all?

If you don't understand cpu sockets and how this could impact MB/RAM/PS then you shouldn't be considering changing the lineup.

>Why nvidia?

It's what LI thinks is the best price/performance for Great level.

>Are there any compact cases?

Yes
>>
What's your budget?
>>
>>53860969
If he wants a normal sized pc that is.
The 380 ITX model only has 2gb ram and produces more heath than the 960 ITX model. For itx (small compooter) the 960 is better, for normal sized pcs the 380 is better.
>>
is gtx 750ti any good? im on a budget
>>
>>53860995
It's the best price-per-performance card on the market for 1080p.

It can run practically anything at 60fps at medium-high/high settings.
>>
>>53860995
>>53861013
it's not bad but can't play most recent games, though anything up to 2013 goes very well.
380/960 are better choices, the 750TI shines because it doesn't require a power connector and thus can be put in prebuilds so you can still play games on them.
>>
>>53861013
>>53861037

mainly want it for total war games up to Rome 2 not Attila
>>
>>53861053
well I wouldn't suggest you buying it. For a few dollars/euros more you can have a 380 or 960 which is way more future proof.
>>
>>53860985

600-800
>>
>>53861037
The last 750ti I had required a 6-pin power connector. Odd.

And while it won't run, say, Crisis 3 at ultra settings, it can still run fairly well once you turn off the fancy shit.

>>53861065
970 is basically the 750ti of the 900 series in terms of performance and how future-proof it is.The 960 is great but it's already managing to get bogged down by even this year's releases.
>>
>>53860978

Dang it. Is AMD any good? Processor wise. Been using intel all my life and I am afraid to switch.

Link or name to those cases?
>>
>>53861120
The 960 can play more games than the 750ti. Though it can't properly run most new releases there are huge differences between a 750ti and a 960 in most games.
>>
Micro ATX will give you the best bang for buck.

The r9 380 is better than the 960, and will likely have better performance in the long run as well, judging by AMD's support for GCN cards.

The 750 Ti is not terrible, but I'd only reccomend it if you were trying to build a sub 300 dollar rig. Prioritize GPU over CPU, unless you intend on upgrading in the near future, then prioritize CPU, because it's harder to upgrade those, unless the CPU you wanted to upgrade to was made for the same socket as your current motherboard.

It all really depends on your budget. Don't buy an optical drive. Don't buy a cooler, it's a luxury. Stick with stock, don't OC. Get 8GB, you don't need more than that.
>>
>>53861120

970 is too much out of my budget, 960 is pushing the limit
>>
>>53861131
>AMD processors
AMD doesn't even use their own processors to benchmark their GPUs.
>>
>>53861103
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z8n2qs
>>
>>53861210
>no SSD
>unlocked processor for a guy that doesn't know jack shit about 'pooters
>>
>>53861231
>no SSD
You don't get SSDs when you're budgeted, not to mention not everyone needs them. I've found little use in mine. Read/write/boot speeds just aren't that important to me.

>unlocked processor for a guy that doesn't know jack shit about 'pooters
Doesn't mean he can't learn. It's not a difficult process.
>>
Here is a small but powerful build that can run anything out there well. The parts are all sweet spot performance, so you're not paying a premium for top tier and you're not getting cheap crap. It should suit your needs to a T.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3KW9xr

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($63.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.73 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 500 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $693.53
>>
>>53861296
I would've gone for an ATX to leave room to upgrade, or to at least make it easier to assemble.

Good shit tho, anon.
>>
>>53861210
>>53861231
Agreed, an SSD will do you better than overclocking for that 1-2 FPS gain that doesn't matter.

Get the cheapest 1150 i5 you can find, I think it's like the 4460, stick with the stock cooler, it won't be pretty, but it will work fine. That's a good $60 you save right there. Put that towards whatever SSD you can afford, even if it's only 120GB it'll be worth it.

And R9 380 > 960, 4GB if you can afford the extra. Much better now and in the long run.
>>
>>53861296
This is pretty much perfect.
>>
>>53861296

>Make like an ASRock and stop posting
>>
>>53861210
>>53861286
It does mean he cant learn you fucknugget. You paired an unlocked CPU with a non-z chipset motherboard, so it cannot be overclocked. Thats like step 2 in learning about builds. There's a shitton of other stuff wrong with your build, and I basically dont agree with a single part choice. The itx build above is smaller, cheaper, anf performs better in every way because your build is stuck at stock clock speeds on an older architecture. Sheesh, learn your shit before leading newbs down the wrong path. If I didnt know any better I'd say you were trolling.
>>
>>53861333
OP specifically asked for a small form factor, and with AC WiFi on board I can't think of a reason for a second card for any reason. Dual GPU in anything but a $1500+ build is just a waste, and by the time that GPU is no longer sufficient, you'd replace it with new tech instead of trying to throw a then-old second GPU in.
>>
>>53860945
This. If you don't just go with a certain brand in a place like this your thread will get raided by shills and fanboys
>>
File: Build.jpg (147 KB, 1163x727) Image search: [Google]
Build.jpg
147 KB, 1163x727
>>53861103
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cfjGvK
>>
>all this help

Thanks guys, you're awesome!
>>
>>53861296
I'd drop the SSD and buy the 380X instead.
>>
>>53861601
>asrock
>pny
Christ
>>
Honestly I know waiting sucks, but odds are as soon as the new cards come out you will probably be able to buy a nice barely used card for cheap.
>>
>>53862034
Asrock is fine stop shilling
>>
>>53862530

More like, assrock
>>
>>53862547
Let me guess MSI is God tier and all other motherboard brands are shit?
>>
>>53862577

I prefer PNY and GSKILL to be quite honest, familia.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.