[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any practical advantage to running Linux as the host
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 4
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 206x244) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 206x244
Is there any practical advantage to running Linux as the host OS over Windows? I keep hearing that it's better for programming, but there isn't anything like VS or Xamarin on Linux that I know of.
>>
No. Linux is a meme OS.

The people who shill Linux here are the exact same people who go on /pol/ and say the Jews are responsible for everything. They then go back to their Windows 10 desktop.

It's just a herd mentality. Don't buy into the Linux meme. There's a reason it only has 0.8% market share.
>>
>>53860214
t. raj
>>
>>53860190
Linux has a more trusted network stack and firewall than recent versions of Windows.

For development tools look into Gnome Builder, QT Creator, MonoDevelop, and it never hurts to learn more traditional tools like Emacs or Vi.
>>
>>53860214
>There's a reason it only has 0.8% market share.

He's using it for a host OS, not a desktop OS. The marketshare is a little different when you look at the serverspace.
>>
>>53860214
amen, brother.
>>
>>53860214
The market share is 40 times as large over tech literate developers, while Windows has a lower market share over tech literate people.

Coincidence? I think not.
>>
no
absolutely not
>>
>>53860317
t. Pajeet
>>
Linux has 100% market share across all Linux users.

Winfags BTFO
>>
>>53860355

When you say 'tech literate' you mean angsty contrarians, right? They're the Linux equivalent to the chap you takes his MacBook into Starbucks for attention.

Absolute plebs.
>>
>>53860426

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Linix users dual boot.
>>
>>53860438
If you're going to group operating systems it's Microsoft + Apple as dictators of what users are able to do with their computers vs Linux with which the user is in full control.

You could say Linux users are smart enough to take control over their computer.
>>
>>53860472
I triple-boot Debian, Arch and Gentoo. Fuck you.
>>
>>53860495

That doesn't sound smart, it sounds pretentious.

You got a girlfriend?
>>
>>53860510
:^)
>>
>>53860496
What's even the point of having Debian and Arch when you have Gentoo? Sounds stupid.
>>
>>53860510
Time for education, "bro".
www.fsf.org/news/the-fsfs-statement-on-windows
>>
>>53860524
What's the point of dual booting Linux and Malware?
>>
>>53860527

A good rule of thumb is anytime a person advocates free software, they're a pedo.

>ohh I want the freedom to change whatever I see fit without 'the man' sticking their nose in MY business

Read

>I don't want the NSA to find all the CP on my PC, no one understands me
>>
>>53860564

Photoshop.

Kek, suck it freetard. Linux is basically the My Little Pony of the tech world.

Gonna go on a long rant about how you're so 'superior' for using Linux?

I love those.
>>
>>53860616
Actually I use Win7 at home and Linux at work with a dedicated machine for each.
>>
>>53860593
>Microsoft shill advocating not being on control
Lolkek, you can't make this shit up
>>
>>53860616
>design monkey
>on /g/

what do you is manchild pseudo-art bullshit and your opinion and/or life is of no value whatsoever
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 492x402) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 492x402
I own a MacBook Pro and triple boot OSX 10.11.3, Ubuntu 15.10, and Windows 10. I know my way around all 3 and I like having options. Fight me /g/
>>
>>53860641

Like I said. Linux is shit for home use.

Thank you for agreeing with me. Sorry you're forced to use Linux for your job at McDonalds.
>>
>>53860593
If you've got nothing to hide, can you share me your browser history of the week?tyvm
>>
>>53860669

You just described 90% of Linux users. Well done.
>>
>>53860676
Actually I am looking to make the switch to Linux for home use as there is literally nothing I can't do on Linux that I need to do at home, except playing video games for which I might just get a dedicated Windows machine since I have the disposable income.
>>
>>53860677

>freetard pedo data mining

Poetry. Is this how you nonces recruit?
>>
File: nutella.jpg (80 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
nutella.jpg
80 KB, 800x600
Lol keks not noticed Windows has turned into GNU/Windows. You may as well ditch NT mess completely.
>>
>>53860705
that's pretty much the only smart way to do it, keep as little Windows as possible so you can get rid of it easily whenever you're comfortable doing so
>>
>>53860705

>want to switch to Linux exclusively
>except for one Windows device I need to do all the stuff I can't do on Linux

Are you functionally retarded? Does your carer write these texts out for you?

Is he giving you a reach around right now?
>>
>>53860717
>I've got no more arguments so I evaded the question
>>
>>53860744
why would he not use the best tools at his disposal

windows is best at playing vidya, linux is best at everything else
>>
>>53860744
> all the stuff
> literally only playing video games
I don't know about you but being a responsible adult with a job I don't have the time to play video games around the clock, making the time I _need_ to use Windows very, very small compared to the time I could use Linux.

>>53860737
I should also start to cut Google out of my life. Is there any way to use a smart phone to its potential (phone stuff, browsing the internet, using it as a satnav) while retaining my privacy?
>>
>>53860766

I don't think anyone needs to justify why they wouldn't give there personal information out to a pedophile over the Internet.

Seems fairly easy to understand to me.
>>
>>53860789
If you root your Android you can absolutely use it Google-free.
>>
>>53860787

Photoshop, professional editing, any commercial business application.

Face it, Linux is only good for some server stuff and for pretentious man-children to have something 'special' to make them feel unique.

As I said earlier, it's the tech equivalent of watching MLP.
>>
>>53860811

>if you run your PC in a faraday cage so no connections can get out you can run Windows 10 completely Microsoft free.

This is you. This is how you sound.
>>
>>53860795
k raj
>>
>>53860214

P O O I N L O O
O
O
I
N
L
O
O
>>
>>53860811
I've been rooting my mobile devices for years now but never really dared to stray from factory Nexus ROMs and Cyanogenmod. Installed an AOSP ROM on my Galaxy Tab and apart from the lack of Swype functionality I like that one a lot. What's a good FOSS app for offline GPS navigation?

Also what Linux distro should I use? Ubuntu at work because it werks, right now I'm looking at Debian.

>>53860823
> at home
> professional editing
> commercial business application
lel
Use GIMP instead of Photoshit, you're done. Maybe video editing might be an issue but I don't fuck around with that except converting clips from longer video files into webms which Linux is best at again.
>>
>>53860868

>use GIMP instead of Photoshop

>use something vastly inferior because it's sort of almost the same

I assume this is why you people also suffer Linux? An inferior user experience you only use because you've got baby duck syndrome and you don't know any better?

I would pity you if you weren't so annoying.
>>
Long time Linux user here.

Quit Linux for Windows. Dude it just works. A lot of the time Linux can be pain free and be a decent experience. But when it fucks up, and it will fuck up no matter what distro you use, it's awful. Sometimes it's too fucked up for you to fix it. I mean, you can always fix it. But do you really see yourself spending 2 hours-10 hours on your phone or laptop learning the ins and outs of Linux trying to fix and recompile binaries, configuration files and reading man pages on software to write your own custom config just to make your computer usable? It even happens in Ubuntu. Just not as much.

Of course I care that Microsoft is an actual botnet. It's operating system spies on everything you do. There's a chance that everything you do gets reported to a government entity. That sucks. A lot. But that is the world you live in. Just like you accept the price of chicken, you can accept the price of Windows. I'm not a criminal. I just want to have a decent computing software. Linux is not a personal choice. You won't be able to participate in most computer activities with your friends. Netflix, hulu, video games, chat programs, etc... You limit yourself with Linux.

Boy do I personally love Linux and tinkering with my OS and handling shit myself. But I along with most people don't have time for that. I just need a computer that works.
>>
>>53860838
Are you retarded or do you just actively enjoy shitting yourself?

I'm running a custom Android rom right now that doesn't have any Google-made apps and has zero telemetry functions. Blow me.
>>
File: bash_windows.jpg (468 KB, 2992x2000) Image search: [Google]
bash_windows.jpg
468 KB, 2992x2000
>>53860795
You are already sending your personal data to Microsoft, advocates of freetard software :^)
>>
>>53860904

Thanks. After seeing the cluster fuck this thread has become I think I'll just stick to Windows.
>>
No.

Basically anything practical that you can do on linux can be done in windows as well.
>>
>>53860908

>blow me

Why are faggots always so rude?
>>
>>53860904
> printer drivers
> getting any peripheral to work on Windows that isn't a basic I/O device
> bloat
> BLOAT
> BLOOOAAAT
> you do not have Admin rights
> automatic updates
> glorified spyware
> DUDE FLASH LMAO
> program outdated and not maintained anymore? Fuck you you can't have the source, pay us shekels for the new version by a different dev that will install 500 toolbars as well

> you can always fix it
Big fucking whoop, just partition your drive for system and data separately, wipe system, fresh install, done. 4 hours max.

> Netflix
> Hulu
Get a tv or go to your friends and watch shit with them if you want to do it with them.
> video games
point taken, but not essential
> Chat programs
Linux has those. And if your friends don't want to use a secure, open-source chat program because hurr durr nobody else uses it (literally what I'm facing after quitting Whatsapp) you can simply send them emails.
>>
>>53860190
Why compete when you can just buy them

http://www.zdnet.com/article/head-of-oracle-linux-moves-to-microsoft/
>>
>>53860593
Post your facebook account and the password for it or admit that you're a hypocritical piece of shit and kill yourself.
>>
>>53860896
why would you use a $240/year piece of software to make shitty memes at home

are you the kind of balding midlife crisis retard that buys a $3k riding lawnmower to cut 50 square feet of grass
>>
>>53860910
this is some olympic tier mental gymnastic mate
>>
>>53861006
fuck off freetard
>>
>>53861017
no but seriously how does GNU running on NT mean MS collects my data

please try to describe your thought process I'd like to experience what it's like being this retarded
>>
>>53860964
>printer drivers
who cares
>getting any peripheral to work on Windows that isn't a basic I/O device
works on my machine
>bloat
>BLOAT
>BLOOOAAAT
only autists care about bloat
>you do not have Admin rights
sudo fuck you
>automatic updates
turn them off
>glorified spyware
turn it off
>DUDE FLASH LMAO
autism
>program outdated and not maintained anymore? Fuck you you can't have the source
the difference is, windows applications from 20 years ago still work fine, while linux applications from 5 years ago don't work, and will never work because open source devs are lazy
>>
>>53860983

Why would I give a pedo my Facebook account and password?

It's a false equivalence though, seeing that according to you since Facebook already know all my personal information they should have sold everything to the US government by now, and I should be in a gulag somewhere.

But I'm not, which blows your pedo-freetard brain, right?
>>
>>53860964
>printer drivers
Printer drivers work fine. Are you an idiot? The biggest issues I've ever seen anybody have is when multiple printers on a network change default status.

>Buys terabytes of HDD and a small supercomputer
>Bitches about bloat

Shut up. A clean install has no real bloat.

>No admin rights.
You can't log in as system administrator out of the box but you have all of the power that root does just by hitting yes when you do something.

>automatic updates.
These can be deferred. And even in the versions that can't its not game breaking.

>spyware and botnet
Read my last post about learning to get over it.

>Not open source or maintained
That's what happens with proprietary software. There are open source solutions on Windows. Everything you can get on bash/apt in Ubuntu will be available on windows very very soon.

>Telling normies to create separate partition for their system and data drives and to reformat for possible 4 hours in order to fix their video output.
K

>Friends want to come to your nicer house with more space to drink and chill and watch TV and listen to music
>Buy a nonfree TV or go to somebody else's house
Are you retarded? How about I just use the shit I ALREADY FUCKING HAVE WITH THE PLANS WE ALREADY FUCKING MADE

>Video games
>Point taken, but not essential.
Good point but I have to say it's subjective. Video games are by far non essential but when I'm bored and not doing anything and my bro calls me up and asks to slay some battlefield and I have to say no because I run Linux. That's a bitch dude.

>Chat programs
>Literally nobody uses the one you use
>Can reply in mere seconds over hundreds of messages per conversation.
>"Just email them"

This is a big reason why I no longer discuss Linux on 4chan, because people like you treat it it as the only option. It's not a matter of knowing how to do it or not. It's so massively inconvenient and cumbersome to deal with all of that even on a working system.
>>
>>53860687
>his argument is literally "i know you are but what am i"

shouldnt you be doing your homework kiddo
>>
>>53860964

>Linux has those. And if your friends don't want to use a secure, open-source chat program because hurr durr nobody else uses it (literally what I'm facing after quitting Whatsapp) you can simply send them emails.

t. Friendless freetard
>>
>>53860190
There are no PRACTICAL advantages to linux over microsoft , although there are some things that can make linux seem the better choice , for instance server side usage , better modding options, can be lighter for older and weaker machines, better security options ....but for software on software usage (using applications) it has no advantage over windows, in fact most mainstream, professional or leisure programs aren't available on linux ....so in normal usage like browsing and using word editors there is absolutely no difference ....for instance i use the same application for programming on my windows PC that i use in college on openSUSE linux PC , and there is no difference in workflow that i can see....

I personally use Windows because im familiar with it and all applications i use have the most support on win

My advice would be to try it out yourself and see what its about , try and use it like you normaly would your Win/Mac and decide if it's better, worse or the same
>>
>>53861057
>>printer drivers
>who cares
Yeah, who prints shit out anyway right? Certainly not people who have jobs and bits of data they want to be able to access in the event of power failure / take with them to work or other people's homes without the risk of viruses on USB drives / outdated drivers etc.
>>getting any peripheral to work on Windows that isn't a basic I/O device
>works on my machine
>>bloat
>>BLOAT
>>BLOOOAAAT
>only autists care about bloat
And people who want their computer to not take 10 minutes to boot, which is what happens when your OS gets more and more bloated.
>>automatic updates
>turn them off
You might not be able to turn all of them off.
>>glorified spyware
>turn it off
ditto.
>>DUDE FLASH LMAO
>autism
Flash hogs resources and poses a security risk.
>>program outdated and not maintained anymore? Fuck you you can't have the source
>the difference is, windows applications from 20 years ago still work fine, while linux applications from 5 years ago don't work, and will never work because open source devs are lazy
> Windows applications from 20 years ago still work fine
Top kek. No seriously, try to run any Win95 program on your modern machine without using emulators. Go ahead.
>>
>>53861056
>gnu/wintard in charge of understanding basic quote flow

>>53860593
>>53860795

>A good rule of thumb is anytime a person advocates free software, they're a pedo.
>MS advocates free software which makes them pedo
>MS also gets data via windows telemetry
>which means using windows = sending your data to pedos, because MS is pedo

>>53861061
You are the one using software from pedo freetard advocate Microcuck and send them your data, BTFOed much?
>>
>>53861183
Are you trying to somehow argue that windows can't use printers or something? I don't know what you're fucking talking about. Windows doesn't take 10 minutes to boot. Flash can be installed on linux. I've run plenty of windows 98 applications on windows 7 x64 and they work fine, can't speak to 95 applications, but I imagine lots of them work too.

Your complaints are nonsense.
>>
>>53861246

Yup, I blew his pedo-freetard mind.

Go cry to your Stallman body pillow degenerate.
>>
>>53861257

He had nothing else. Linux makes him feel superior.

What you are watching now is the veneer cracking.

>b...but Windows 10 can't print anything and takes weeks to load

Sure it does Lincuck, sure it does.
>>
>>53861274
>completely assmad after his entire argument failed
Go suck nutella's cock gnu/wintard :^)
>>
>>53861311

>freetard admitting all free yards are pedos renders my argument, that all freetards are pedos, false

And Lincucks like to think they're clever. How sad.
>>
>>53861430
>i can't even type after being that mad
Do you plan suicide now that MS turned freetard? :^)
>>
>>53861505

Why? In five years Linux will be known as 'that alternate Windows command thing Microsoft created in 2016'

I'm fine with that.
>>
>>53861524
You are fine being a pedo? woah lad
>>
How good is linux for not running a server but letting other people access one hard drive over a network? I have a media drive that i want everyone to access and be happy but i cant do it on windows
>>
>>53861553

*slow claps*
*steps out of the shadows*
Heh... not bad, kid. Not bad at all. Your meme, I mean. It's not bad. A good first attempt. It's plenty dank... I can tell it's got some thought behind it... lots of quotable material...
But memeing isn't all sunshine and rainbows, kid. You're skilled... that much I can tell. But do you have what it takes to be a Memester? To join those esteemed meme ranks? To call yourself a member of the Ruseman's Corps?
Memeing takes talent, that much is true. But more than that it takes heart. The world-class Memesters - I mean the big guys, like Johnny Hammersticks and Billy Kuahana - they're out there day and night, burning the midnight meme-oil, working tirelessly to craft that next big meme.
And you know what, kid? 99 times out of a hundred, that new meme fails. Someone dismisses it as bait, or says it's "tryhard," or ignores it as they copy/paste the latest shitpost copypasta dreamt up by those sorry excuses for cut-rate memers over at reddit. The Meme Game is rough, kid, and I don't just mean the one you just lost :^). It's a rough business, and for every artisan meme you craft in your meme bakery, some cocksucker at 9gag has a picture of a duck or some shit that a million different Johnny No-Names will attach a milion different captions to.
Chin up, kid. Don't get all mopey on me. You've got skill. You've got talent. You just need to show your drive.

See you on the boards....
>>
>>53861582
NFS
>>
>>53861629
So how does it work?
>>
>>53860214
>Don't buy into the Linux meme.
You don't need to ;^)
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.