[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New to linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: tuxlets (29).png (24 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
tuxlets (29).png
24 KB, 256x256
Getting rid of windows. New to Linux - what flavor should i use? Pretty quick learner.
>>
>>53857225
If you have to ask you need Ubuntu.
>>
are you seriously going to make this thread when you could just look in the archives or google
>>
Antergos
>>
Hey op ol buddy ol pal. No need to let these heathens get you down they've just been in the game too long and have lost any trace of humanity once present in their souls. If you just want an easy experience then Ubuntu is the way to go, only caveat is if you have an older machine go lubuntu (lxde spin). Lxde is a desktop environment. If you do not understand what this means I suggest reading the archwiki as this is a treasure trove of useful information for beginners and experts alike. If you want to understand the underpinnings then read the archwiki and install arch linux. Then erase that as it breaks all the time and install Debian
Good luck and godspeed
>>
>>53857225
Mint seems to be the best mix of:
Ease of use for a Windows user
Lack of SJW-type influence.
Lack of Canonical type corporate shit.
>>
>>53857225
Gentoo
>>
Debian + mate
>>
Start with a big distro like ubuntu or debian, but at some point check out the Linux From Scratch project, as there you compile linux from the very base up and it explains what each of the programs you compile does, and you get to understand what it is at the very core of it.
>>
>>53858222
Not op but very useful
>>
>>53857225
What >>53857250 said - if you don't know what you need, go with Ubuntu.
There will be people on /g/ telling you to install Gentoo or Arch - don't listen to them. There are legitimate use cases for those distributions (heck, I'm using both on various machines), but "I'm new to Linux" is NOT one of them.
Choosing a distribution ties you to some technical choices its developers made, but at this point you shouldn't care about them. It also ties you to the package manager it comes with, but the one Ubuntu uses is perfectly ok.
It does not tie you to the desktop environment that comes as default, you're free to change it.
>>
>>53857355
Yes
>>
File: screen.png (314 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
screen.png
314 KB, 1920x1080
>>53857225
Xubuntu/Linux Mint Xfce are pretty comfy.
>>
Kubuntu / Xubuntu
>>
>>53857225
Windows 10
>>
>>53858340
>>53860451
these
>>
>>53860549
Oh yeah, GNU/Linux/Windows is going to be a thing soon.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.