[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
It just werks edition

It just werks edition

Welcome to /fg/lt/, or as I've recently taken to calling it, /fg+lt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
>>
I've used ubuntu casually for a very long time, but it just doesn't look good. How the hell do I get my install to look like some of the cool shit i see on here?
minimalist is a bonus.
>>
>>53857130
Arch + wm = minimalism from the netherworlds
Any distro + Gnome = comfy
Any distro + unity = I'd rather not
So basically search around to find a distro that suits you and then look for a de/wm that suits you.
>>
>>53857428
I'm using Antergos with Gnome
>>
How to change URxvt copy/paste from
ctrl+v / ctrl+alt+v
to something like
ctrl+shift+c  /  ctrl+shift+v
?
>>
>>53857130
Imo youd be better off using a distro like antergos if you want to get into ricing
Or get rid of gnome and unity and switch to openbox/i3/bspwm/awesome + tint2/lemonbar
Go on /w/'s desktop thread and lurk to get started i guess thats whati did
>>
Does anyone know if there is some program to check wifi adapter temperatures?
>>
>>53856586
What the fuck dude. Check the catalog. >>53849410
>>53849410
>>53849410
>>
>>53856586
>Linux Thread
>not linking the previous thread
>pic of a landwhale
You had ONE JOB.
>>
>>53858185

Quoting to not fuck the start.
>>
https://archwomen.org/
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Women
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Women
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWomen
what distros - other than gentoo - don't have one of these things?
>>
>>53858401
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>53858487
i want the information for the exact opposite reason tumblr would want it.
>>
Is the sleep from bash busy waiting?
>>
>>53858401
>>53858487
>>53858500
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Men

Anyone wants to give it a spin?
>>
>>53858393
Can I bump?
>>
>>53857857
URxvt.perl-ext-common: clipboard
URxvt.keysym.Shift-Control-C: perl:clipboard:copy
URxvt.keysym.Shift-Control-V: perl:clipboard:paste
>>
How can I get the very latest ffmpeg build on Ubuntu? I need the new dtscore extraction bitstream filter that was only added like 3 days ago, but the builds hosted on the mc3man repo are 9 days old.
>>
>>53858898
compile it
>>
>>53858913
I don't know how
>>
>>53856586
Wdf does learning Linux even mean? Only terminal command I use 7z,nano,CD,ls update. am I missing something I should be learning
>>
>>53858917
https://www.ffmpeg.org/releases/ffmpeg-snapshot-git.tar.bz2
./make
./install
>>
>>53858898
If you're on Trusty, there's a launchpad repo for the latest ffmpeg. Check the ffmpeg website.
>>
>>53858917
>>53858936
oh shit i'm retarded forgive me.

it's
./configure
make
make install

I haven't compiled anything outside of rpmbuild for a long time
>>
>>53858946
The PPA on the ffmpeg website is 9 days out of date and I need a feature added to ffmpeg 3 days ago

>>53858952
thanks lad, gonna try this now
>>
>>53858952
>>53858960

You should really set --prefix=XXX on the configure line if you're going to run make install.
>>
>>53858777
Thank you !
>>
Compiling linux 4.5 on my new laptop after installing slackware this weekend. Feels good senpai
>>
>>53856586
I accidentally ran rm * in my home directory and it deleted a bunch of source files and executables that I thankfully recovered using extundelete.

I was just wondering if running that command in my home directory deletes any hidden files or config files and thus causes damage. My system seems to be working absolutely the same, I'm just wondering if I caused anything or deleted anything that's not observable.
>>
>>53858591
>>53858393
Last bump, I don't want to contaminate the thead.
>>
>>53859184
Then stop.
>>
>>53859164
rm * does only delete normal files, to delete hidden files, you'd need to run rm .*, so you're lucky today; everything is fine.
>>
>>53859164
You may want to use the trashbin instead.
Either use the package trash-cli, or use an alias like this:

alias trash='echo "Into the trash it goes ..."; mv -t ~/.local/share/Trash/files/'
>>
File: iM59R8m.png (131 KB, 359x538) Image search: [Google]
iM59R8m.png
131 KB, 359x538
Is GTK+ installed by default on Fedora?
>>
>>53859149
>Compiling linux 4.5 on my new laptop after installing slackware this weekend. Feels good senpai
topcuck!
>>
>>53859149
You are doing it wrong. Install GNU Linux-libre.
>>
>>53859210
I'm just going to avoid using the * from now on. Thanks for the explanation.

>>53859259
I read about that too but extundelete was the only hope I had after actually deleting. I'm on vanilla Ubuntu and my rm command doesn't even have a warning, which I thought it was supposed to by default. How can I make it so the warning appears before each delete?
>>
>>53859437
Just use rm -i for prompting before every removal, or rm -I for prompting before removing more than 3 files. More at man rm.
>>
I've been at it for a few days, but networking of any kind refuses to work on Gentoo, I used to be able to emerge through the liveCD, but for whatever reason that has stopped working when I chroot.
I swear I'm not retarded.
>>
>>53858393
have you tried xrandr ?
>>
>>53859282
Anyone?
>>
>>53859646
Yeah, it only list 1024x768. I read I need gtf or cvt to set resolutions not detected, but I had "command not found" and I couldn't search on google anything about not having that commands.
>>
>>53859511
Is there anyway I can make it prompt by default?

Can I alias rm as "rm -i" or is that bad practice?
>>
>>53859722
It's a good idea when you never work on other computers running GNU/Linux + Bash, then you can put it into your ~/.bashrc
alias rm='rm -vI'
. The problem is that you maybe will forget that you are using an alias and when you come to a different computer and espect rm to prompt first, but the owner doesnt have this alias, - game over. Your choice.
>>
>>53859722
>>53859752
Maybe the better idea is not to realias rm at all. Maybe rms [remove secure :^)] or something like that, or simply "del". Then you woun't get bad habits.
>>
>>53859790
That's a good idea. Thanks for the help. Will probably make up an alias to work in conjunction with trash-cli and only use rm for removing directories.
>>
>>53859164
Okay, I'll be nice here... why the hell did you run rm *? That's kind of hard to do accidentally. Did some troll tell you to do that? Also unlikely, since you were smart enough to use extundelete.
>imconfus.jpg
>>
>>53859653
The default version yes ,it has GNOME

But you have spin offs, that are variants with different desktops.
>>
Any reason beyond bloat not to use mint?
>>
I'm trying to make a bootable flash drive from which to install debian, and I can't. This process has never been straight forward, but this time it is worse than usual. I think I must be dealing with a bug in unetbootin. Is there an alternative in the Gentoo repository that works?
>>
>>53859992
Non-free software, if you're concerned with that. Otherwise, despite the opposition you'll find here, Mint Cinnamon isn't bad for someone brand-new to the GNU/Linux world. Try Manjaro if you want something that might be a little more hands-on yet still easy to use.
>>
>>53859992
no low-level updates (kernel, etc.), and you won't learn as much as you would with something like Debian or Arch.
>>
>>53860021
oops, of course you can still get kernel updates, just not by default. Not trying to spread misinformation
>>
>>53860005
dd if=debian.iso of=/dev/sdb
>>
File: IMAG0014_1.jpg (266 KB, 1942x2372) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0014_1.jpg
266 KB, 1942x2372
Sooo, I wanted to try out the arch way, thought I'd give Antergos a try, I downloaded it, burnt it to a usb stick, boot up the live disc, installed it to the hdd, but it doesn't werk. Everything loads ok, it asks for login but then suddenly everything dissapears and it's stuck at the blinking "_"
>Pic related
Shut down works perfectly too, I don't have to force shut down or anything.
>>
>>53860005
dd if=debian.iso of=dev/sdb bs=4M
>>
>>53860020
>>53860021
I'll try it out and see how it goes for now.

Remind me, how should I partition things again to make distro-hopping easy?

I remember making /home separate from where the OS is, but what else?
>>
What are some essential security measures I should install on a fresh Debian install?

For home use, so it doesn't have to be server-tier strong I suppose
>>
>>53860082
If you have a seperate /home, you should be fine. Don't forget to actually leave some space for additional OSes as well. Maybe look into LVM, to ease the process of making new "partitions" and getting rid of old ones.

>>53860088
- Don't be stupid on the internet.
- Don't listen to /g/, ever.
That should be fine for every purpose.
>>
I'm using this to download and convert videos to webm
youtube-dl --exec 'ffmpeg -i {} -c:v libvpx -c:a libvorbis {}-converted.webm'

Is there a way to make it delete the downloaded file?
And how to make it alias ?
>>
>>53860041
>>53860081
Why do you write the image to a drive rather than a partition? Is the drive supposed to be formatted, or not? Does it matter?
>>
>>53860118
I heard someone recommending at least a firewall some time ago. Not even that?
>>
>>53860118
By default, does package-manager software, etc, install to /home or to /root?
>>
>>53860134
Your distro probably comes with a firewall already, iptables. However, if you're not retarded, it's not needed.
I only run one on my servers where I actually want to limit certain connections, on home usage, you probably have a router fixing most of the dangers.
You can use one if you want, but I won't say it's necessary.

>>53860150
Package managers in general install to /usr or /usr/local, with configs being in /etc or /usr/local/etc. You can manually install software into your homedirectory, or any other seperate partition if you want to share it between OSes.
>>
>>53857428
>tfw Arch + KDE
I wanted to get a tiling WM but 1360*768 just isn't enough
>tfw poor
>>
>>53860176
Indeed, iptables appears to be installed on Debian. Thanks man
>>
>>53857130
Ive just gotten into ricing and found that i like openbox for its simplicity, the only downside is you have to access everything from the terminal

speaking of which, what kind of broswer can i use that doesnt show a url/tabs bar? im using firefox and it sort of ruins the theme im using
>>
>>53860124
>
function download(){                                                            
youtube-dl --exec 'ffmpeg -i {} -c:v libvpx -c:a libvorbis {}-converted.webm;
}

download $@

Something like this perhaps?
>>
File: IMAG0015.jpg (3 MB, 3808x2144) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0015.jpg
3 MB, 3808x2144
>>53860068
I'm on the live usb now, these are the partitions after installation.
>>
>>53860229
Oops sorry missed a bit whilst copy pasting
function download(){                                                                                                
youtube-dl --exec 'ffmpeg -i {} -c:v libvpx -c:a libvorbis {}-converted.webm; rm {}' $@
}

download $@
>>
>>53857428
>arch
>minimalism
Yeah, no.

>>53860215
No problem.

>>53860220
>the only downside is you have to access everything from the terminal
Look at dmenu. Or any other launcher, but I personally found dmenu to be the best.

>what kind of broswer can i use that doesnt show a url/tabs bar
You can hide them in Firefox, or you can look at something like qutebrowser or luakit, where you can easily disable them too. If you want to go hardmode, there's surf.
>>
>>53859673
I think xorg-server might bundle cvt, void's package explorer is pretty awful.
>>
>>53860249
I'm interested in minimalism in general, why do you think arch isn't like that?

(Different poster)
>>
>>53860268
Because Arch forces quite a few big things on you which are hard to remove. It also installs all headers by default, which you don't even need on a binary-based *minimalist* distro. If you want a truly minimalist system, you'd be better off going for Gentoo, or if you want a binary-based distro, Debian netinstall,
>>
File: Clipboard01.png (107 KB, 560x65) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.png
107 KB, 560x65
>>53860259
I have this packages, I installed all recommended xorg packages.

Should I get the others?
>>
>>53860229
>>53860124
Guys... why don't you read the manpages...
youtube-dl -f webm
>>
>>53860293
I see, I've actually been trying to install a minimal; sort of modern distro on a 1GB RAM/1GB HDD box and I've gone with Arch which was arguably a bad decisions.

I've ended up with a 500-600MB install but I'd rather cut down on the fat.

With these kinds of specs in mind, do you think Gentoo would be a more suitable install? I'm guessing Debian might be more straightforward, mostly since the processor's performance is as poor as the specs mentioned before.
>>
>>53860312
Oh, (Poster of solution) that's pretty good.

I was so focused on getting the other guy's thing to work that I didn't bother, thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>53860240
How will I integrate that into alias ?
alias ytdl='youtube-dl --exec 'ffmpeg -i {} -c:v libvpx -c:a libvorbis {}-converted.webm; rm {}' '

Like this?
>>53860312
Because that will download webm format if the site provide it, and mostly in VP9 which 4chin doesn't support it.
>>
>>53860335
Function will work just the same, you forgot to include the arguments by the way so you'd still need $@ at the end.
>>
>>53860323
If you know what you're doing, you can achieve a lot with Gentoo on those specs. But it would be very beneficial if you'd have another machine to do the compiling for it, or at least some machines to assist the low-end box.
You can use a buildserver for example to build all packages, or distcc to have other machines assist in compiling packages. You can also combine these options.

If you just want something that Just Werks, a Debian netinstall might be more suitable.

If you're willing to look at more exotic options, but which may not support all your hardware as nice, something like FreeBSD is a very good pick too. It's even more lightweight than Debian, comes with an installer, and allows you to mix binary-based packages with source-based packages. Just be sure it supports your hardware, in case you have anything special (wifi drivers, gpu drivers, whatever).
>>
>>53860351
You mean like this ?

alias=Function download(){youtube-dl --exec 'ffmpeg -i {} -c:v libvpx -c:a libvorbis {}-converted.webm; rm {}' $@}
download $@
>>
>>53856586
>GNU/Linux
Just Linux
>>
>>53860375
You don't need to have the alias part at all,

function download(){                                                                                                
youtube-dl --exec 'ffmpeg -i {} -c:v libvpx -c:a libvorbis {}-converted.webm; rm {}' $@
}

download $@

In this snippet, the "download $@" part is actually an example usage, you'll notice it's the same syntax as alias (Except download $@ doesn't make sense here - I'm retarded)

You can call it like so:

download http://youtube.com/xxxx
>>
>>53860371
I actually thought about setting up distcc before, heck even a build server.

Thanks for the pointers, I didn't even think about BSD but it also makes sense.

I'll look into it, thanks again.
>>
>>53860304
Have you tried searching for the packages cvt, gtf and umc using
 xbps-query -Rs package_name 

If that fails you could always do a bunch of reading, I think you might be able to set the CVT mode lines from a preset standard:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Video_Timings
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Modeline_Database
>>
>>53860398
I see, and I just enter this into terminal or use .bashrc?
>>
Chromium on gentoo is not playing html 5 videos properly, it only plays the audio. What USE flags could I be missing?
>>
>>53860448
It'd be rather convenient to have it in your bashrc right?

Once it's defined there you can just issue it from the command line.

That's what I do as well
>>
>>53859673
>Yeah, it only list 1024x768
I'm pretty sure you can add a resolution and refresh rate to that list.
>>
>>53860458
None. It works for me, and I don't have any specific useflags for Chromium.
You're more likely missing something in ffmpeg. My useflags for ffmpeg are
media-video/ffmpeg aac amr faac gnutls rtmp threads twolame x264 x265 opus v4l vpx webp
>>
>>53860220
Epiphany hides the url bar quite nicely.
>>
>>53860504
I'm having problems playing youtube videos with mpv as well, so that's probably it. Thanks.

And the reason that Firefox plays them fine is because it has it's own plugin, right?
>>
>>53860464
Where do I add it exactly?
>>
>>53860427
I didn't try umc, but prompt nothing as the other two when I tried query them. I have to compile something? I never tried to compile in this kind of OS, what's a reason of I choose Void Linux. I will try reading that.

>>53860476
Yeah, with umc, cvt and gtf. But I have none of them.
>>
Really liking Fedora 2bh lads
>>
>>53860547
I don't have Firefox, so I can't even check if it works natively there. If it does, it's probably because it bundles it's own plugin, yes.

>>53860561
Just somewhere where there's no other text yet.

>>53860577
That's nice.
>>
>>53860561
Anywhere really, I add it a the bottom of my file usually.

Don't forget that for the changes to apply you either have to relog or you need to

source ~/.bashrc

If it doesn't work still then you might not have a ~/.bash_profile

In there should at least be
source ~/.bashrc
>>
>>53860584
Can I use openssl and gnutls at the same time for ffmpeg or is it one or the other?
>>
>>53860584
>>53860599
>Just somewhere where there's no other text yet.
I add it to the end, but now every time I run the terminal it try to execute the command.
>>
This is a big noob question.
I put the linux mint iso file on a dvd but it doesn't want to boot from it.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
>>
>>53860335
>>Because that will download webm format if the site provide it, and mostly in VP9 which 4chin doesn't support it.

Second try: Please read the manpage. You can configure every little shit. Before you experiment the "I'm feeling lucky"-way, read the manpages. Please read the manpages. Read the manpage of youtube-dl; the -f, --format part could be interesting.

Furthermore, if you insist, >>53860398

A correct function would look like this:
download() {
youtube-dl --exec 'ffmpeg -i {} -c:v libvpx -c:a libvorbis {}-converted.webm; rm -- {}' "$@"
}

- "function" is depricated, also a not portable bashism
- harden rm against strings starting with "-", which could be interpreted as options
- always quote variables
>>
>>53860176
>Package managers in general install to /usr or /usr/local, with configs being in /etc or /usr/local/etc
I installed before reading this properly, now I've got a 10gb / directory (5 taken by install already) and i'll almost certainly want more than 10gb software installed

Can I dynamically change partition sizes as my software needs dictate, or should i just install into /home?
>>
>>53860626
You have to remove the
download $@

bit at the end, that was juste an example.
>>
>>53860630
Did you make sure the disk was set to 'bootable'? It's probably an option in your disk writing software>>53860636
>>
>>53860619
I'm not sure if you can use both, but I'd assume you'd have to use one or the other. I only use gnutls for it.

>>53860630
You shouldn't just put that file on the disc, the iso file is a format that holds the files which should end up on the disc.

>>53860667
You can often extend your partitions if needed, but making them smaller is often a pain or downright impossible. If you were using LVM, it'd be the easiest to grow a "partition", if you're using normal partitions you also need to make sure there's space behind the partition you want to grow.
So wether you can just change your partitions, really depends on the current layout.
>>
>>53860630
one of these reasons for that:
- the iso wasn't burned to the dvd correctly
- your pc doesn't try booting from a dvd. Check how to change the boot order in your bios
>>
>>53860636
Shit sorry about the double quote, was trying to double quote and I fucked up.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm not that good with POSIX compliance and I do appreciate getting corrected.
>>
>>53860698
How do I set it to bootable?
>>53860712
I have set it to boot first.
>>53860703
What do you mean? Isn't the computer when booting it suppose to open the iso file?
>>
>>53860636
>harden rm against strings starting with "-", which could be interpreted as options
Shouldn't the brackets be enough?
>>
>>53860754
>What do you mean? Isn't the computer when booting it suppose to open the iso file?
No.
>>
>>53860572
No dude, I mean you can add the resolution you want using xrandr one of the custom CVT modelines like those on this site:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Modeline_Database

But you need to do some reading firt so you don't fuck up.
>>
>>53860772
What am I suppose to do then? Do I use daemon tools and then copy all the files and put it on the dvd?
>>
>>53860790
Ooook, so, I follow the setps on adding no native resolutions with xrandr, without that commands, and, for example, I will ad this modeline

1280     1024     75 Hz     79.9763 kHz     ModeLine "1280x1024" 135.00 1280 1296 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +HSync +VSync 

That's the idea you make me realise, not the process I will do, I will research as you said to not fuck it up.
>>
>>53860817
I have no clue on what options you'd get on subpar OSes, but on any decent OS you can just
dd if=file.sio of=/dev/sdb bs=4M

and write it away properly.
>>
>>53860817
the Ubuntu homepage has information on how to correctly burn an .iso image to a dvd. Refer to this and try again:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
>>
File: oook.jpg (26 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
oook.jpg
26 KB, 400x400
>>53860833
Yes, don't forget to hate post if it doesn't work. It's as much a learning experience for me as it is for you.

Good luck mate,
>>
File: IMAG0018.jpg (2 MB, 3808x2144) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0018.jpg
2 MB, 3808x2144
Help? I'm really lost
>>
>>53861060
What's the problem? You successfully logged in.
>>
>>53861080
So where's my DE? This is on a clean Astergos install with gnome.
>>
>>53861060
startx
>>
>>53861060
startx
>>
>>53860293
Gentoo isn't "minimal". I don't think any source distribution could qualify as minimal.
>>
>>53860843
I don't understand any of that.
>>
File: IMAG0019.jpg (3 MB, 3808x2144) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0019.jpg
3 MB, 3808x2144
>>53861099
>>53861108
Well, I do feel progress
>>
Hey /g/. Absolute Linux newfag here. I want to get myself a T420, thinking of putting Linux on it. Which is the most user-friendly, and/or lightest distro? Was considering Ubuntu
>>
>>53861147
type who and press return, post results. ie:
 ~$ who
>>
File: IMAG0020.jpg (3 MB, 3808x2144) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0020.jpg
3 MB, 3808x2144
>>53861226
I'm trying stuff
>>
>>53861188

Ubuntu's fine as a first-time distro. It has a lot of luxuries to it like the PPA system.

Not a lot of people like its default UI so you might want to try out different ones.
>>
>>53861188
Give xubuntu a shot dude. XFCE is pretty gentle on beginners and Ubuntu is pretty fool proof.
As a real beginner that doesn't really want to learn anything, Mint is a good call. Although, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole after all the shit that's gone on.
>>
>>53861253
ls -R /etc/X11
>>
>>53859934
I'm a fast typer, I was meant to type "rm *~*" to get rid of source file copies, but I hit Enter just as I went to type the tilde in.

Don't worry, I'm not stupid enough to get caught out by obvious troll scripts. I know a decent amount of basic Bash.
>>
File: IMAG0021.jpg (2 MB, 3808x2144) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0021.jpg
2 MB, 3808x2144
>>53861316
Thanks for helping me btw
>>
>>53861188
Ubuntu is fine if you don't mind Unity. I chose Xubuntu for my T410 and I would recommend it over Ubuntu with Unity.
>>
>>53861381
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf

what's your graphic cards?
>>
>>53861060
>Falling for antergos meme
>>
>>53861428
This is the friendly Linux thread, please leave.
>>
File: IMAG0022.jpg (2 MB, 3808x2144) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0022.jpg
2 MB, 3808x2144
>>53861400
It's an 840m
>>
>>53860905
Ok mate, so I started trying again, and I think I'm close to the solution thanks to you, but I'm lacking gamma, following what xranrd says.

>Failed to get size of gamma for output default

I tried to set it, but I don't know how to properly do it, so I ask again, sorry.
>>
>>53861440
But it's true, antergos is known for it's bas installer.
>>
>>53861467
Cute hair cut, anon.
Try using open drivers?
>>
>>53861530
Thank you anon, I actually have an idea of how to get open drivers
>>
>>53861188
As cancerous as Canonical (the company behind Ubuntu) is, I would recommend Xubuntu. It works just like Ubuntu and is easy to use and learn but has a desktop environment that isn't complete ass.
>>
>>53861555
>>53861398
>>53861310
So Xubuntu is the way to go then? Might try it
>>
>>53861555
Recommending anything that doesn't offer an environment free of screen tearing out of the box doesn't seem like a good way to give someone new a good impression of desktop Linux. If you insist on doing so, you should probably mention how to fix it.
>>
>>53861478
I need to do a bunch of reading to understand your problem, if this thread 404's link your question and I'l reply later. I'm going out for ~2 hours. Sorry bruv,
>>
File: IMAG0023.jpg (4 MB, 3808x2144) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0023.jpg
4 MB, 3808x2144
>>53861530
Seems like nouveau doesn't recognise the 840m
>>
>>53861398
>>53861624

Unity is an okay desktop though. It's not awful. I'm on Ubuntu, but I did want to try Xubuntu. Either is probably a very good choice.

XFCE >= Unity > KDE

So...

Xubuntu >= Ubuntu > Mint

Considering you said user friendly AND light, I'd go with Xubuntu or Ubuntu minimal.
>>
>>53861722
With unity tweak tool you can make it rival mac os x in beauty. I'm not joking. I'm going back to it when 16.04 is fully released. At the moment using gentoo and a minimal window manager.
>>
>>53861655

Only really applies to nvidia GPUs in my experience

>>53861722

Nothing wrong with KDE5 imo. It's very pretty and what I use on a daily basis with Debian Stretch. Kubuntu's never been a very good distro though.
>>
>>53861737
Oh I know all about that.

Currently just using Numix on everything in unity-tweak-tool, and everything is so simple and pretty. But I'm gonna set aside a day to really make it look gorgeous at some point.
>>
>>53861766
In 16.04 we'll be able to put the launcher bar on the bottom!
>>
>>53861716
it's hybrid graphics right?
if so, installing xf86-video-intel and removing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf should work
>>
>>53861818
Progress!

How do new Ubuntu releases work? Do they update or do they have to be reinstalled?

Linux newbie here. I think I'm on Ubuntu 15.10 atm.
>>
>>53861890

They provide update scripts to jump releases once a new one is out.
>>
>>53861765
I've got personal experience with it on AMD as well. For that matter, there's also a lot of people with Nvidia hardware around.
>>
>>53861853

It might also require bumblebee. But Optimus support on linux is a big fat mess in general
>>
File: Clipboard01.png (2 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.png
2 MB, 1024x768
>>53861714
I added the mode to randr in a way that seems to be right, but xrandr can set the gamma as I show on pic related. I think is the last step to get the resolution. On Hyper-V, as you readed I guess
>>
>use vi/vim for over a decade
>today type 'emerge emacs'
What should I expect? I'm literally only trying it because of stallman.
>>
>>53861942
expect bloat just like all GNU shit
>>
>>53861914
Ahh I imagined something like that. Seems practical. Will be an excuse to actually learn a bit more about scripting and manual installation too.

I've heard that this is the best Unity desktop so far.
>>
>>53861853
I know this is very basic but how do I remove 20-nvidia.conf?
I've installed the intel drivers
>>
Every systemctl command gives this
Failed to get D-Bus connection: Operation not permitted

What could be causing this, and how can I fix it?
>>
>>53861981

`rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf`

This requires you to be either logged in as root or through `sudo` if installed. To login as root, type `su`
>>
>>53861963
I took one look at it and closed it. What an ugly piece of shit.
>>
File: IMAG0024.jpg (3 MB, 3808x2144) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0024.jpg
3 MB, 3808x2144
>>53862014
I had actually remembered the rm -rf meme and realized rm probably means remove, now when I run startx the screen goes black, and comes back to the cli.
>>
>>53862058
this is good
this means your X is working
now if you still have gdm enabled
systemctl isolate graphical

should start the GNOME desktop
>>
>>53862058
Doesn't Antergos have something akin to fpaste available? Seems like it'd be a lot easier on you than to constantly take photos of the display.
>>
my computer crashed during a pacman -Syu
Now I can't open a terminal.
How can I fix it?
I can't seem to get internet on the tty, maybe more things are broken?

what can I do?
>>
File: IMAG0026.jpg (3 MB, 3808x2144) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0026.jpg
3 MB, 3808x2144
>>53862095
I'm so excited, I actually installed xterm as the error stated it was missing and ended up with pic related.
>>53862117
I'm posting from my phone though as I can't really access the web from my laptop in this state
>>
File: IMAG0029.jpg (2 MB, 2144x3808) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0029.jpg
2 MB, 2144x3808
>>53862151
>>53862095
This is on tty7, I get it after an error screen asking me to log out and log back in
>>
File: whitey-tay.jpg (291 KB, 1582x1292) Image search: [Google]
whitey-tay.jpg
291 KB, 1582x1292
hi, not sure if this is right place.
I am a newfag learning linux. I am running arch xfrce on VM. the other day i was in the rice thread in/g/ and a person had a security package displayed that showed skull and cross bones (ascii i think) with button options such as lockout, reverse something, stop NS@... does anyone know what i am talking about.

>pic not related
>>
>>53862151
u have to edit you xinitrc to start gnome when you start x
edit .xinitrc
and write
exec gnome-session
>>
Where's the Imagemagic wizard?
Would it be possible to colorize or shift the hue of an image?

Basically I have an image where the "central" color is something and I want to change that and the rest of it approximately the same as the original change? I'm trying to edit a GTK theme and now I also have to edit a few PNGs. I'd rather not always manually edit it on every update.
>>
>>53862231
looks like gdm is not working?
try starting GNOME with startx
switch to an empty tty (Ctrl+Alt+F3)
systemctl isolate multi-user
# Login
echo "exec gnome-session" > ~/.xinitrc
startx

also, uninstall all xf86-video-* packages except the intel one
sudo pacman -Rn $(pacman -Qs xf86-video | grep -v intel)
>>
I just installed linux and I am trying to get steam to work.
I installed steam through software manager since steams website didn't work.
Now I am trying to open steam but it doesn't load or anything. Literally nothing happens when I try to open it.
>>
File: IMAG0030.jpg (3 MB, 2144x3808) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0030.jpg
3 MB, 2144x3808
>>53862305
I got this screen
>>
>>53862356
start steam from your terminal to check if there's any error output
>>
>>53862402
How would I go about doing that? I am a complete newbie and don't know how to use terminal.
>>
>>53862445
start the terminal, type steam and press enter
>>
>>53862475
$ steam
Running Steam on linuxmint 17.3 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0_client)
libGL error: unable to load driver: radeonsi_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
>>
I'm using KDE plasma, trying to make it comfy, but can't figure out what the thing that says 'default' that's in the top left corner is or how to disable it.

When clicked it gives options 'show dashboard', 'add widget', 'activities', 'lock widgets', 'desktop settings' and 'leave'
>>
>>53862397
cd ~/.local/share/xorg
curl -F [email protected] 0x0.st

and post the link

>>53862487
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting#Deleting_the_runtime_libraries
Don't know if it will work on mint though

>>53862567
What KDE version? Post a screenshot of the "thing"
>>
File: IMAG0031_BURST001.jpg (3 MB, 3808x2144) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0031_BURST001.jpg
3 MB, 3808x2144
>>53862668
https://0x0.st/P_g.log
>>
File: Screenshot_20160404-183352.png (330 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160404-183352.png
330 KB, 1080x1920
>>53862708
That's neat!
>>
File: Capture.png (18 KB, 195x48) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
18 KB, 195x48
>>53862668

plasma
>>
>>53862567
KDE devs have stated that the "cashew menu" is an "integral" part of the KDE desktop and as such they don't let you remove it. I tried using a widget called pycashew which was supposed to remove it but it didn't work for me.
>>
>>53862758
unhelpful anecdote here, but I recently removed that from my KDE Plasma 5.4 desktop. I don't use KDE anymore though and I don't remember what exactly I did
>>
>>53862708
Xorg is trying to use nvidia
try uninstalling it
sudo pacman -Rsn nvidia

also post output of
lspci

>>53862729
>>53862758
you can disable it since 5.3
right-click destop > Desktop Settings > Tweaks > Uncheck "Show the desktop toolbox"
>>
File: IMAG0032.jpg (3 MB, 3808x2144) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0032.jpg
3 MB, 3808x2144
>>53862833
>>
>>53862833
excellent thanks!
>>
>>53862833
>you can disable it since 5.3
Oh thank fuck. Maybe I'll even consider going back to Plasma now.
>>
>>53862758
>integral" part of the KDE desktop and as such they don't let you remove it

if this is true then why are u trying to remove it?
>>
>>53862899
did you uninstall nvidia? did it work?
also I forgot to say that you have to reboot after uninstalling it
>>
>>53862963
I uninstalled it, rebooted and got the same screen as in >>53862397
>>
>>53862956
It isn't true. That's why they changed it.
>>
>>53861060
>>53862980

You could have followed the Arch Beginner's guide by now and installed everything properly.
Enjoy your Antergos.
>>
>>53862980
remove all the log files in ~/.local/share/xorg
try startx
and do >>53862668 again
>>
>>53863016
Well I thought it'd just werk enough to start off with and that I'd be able to get it all up in less than an hour, but seems like this is basically arch with a few packages predownloaded but not configured to run whatsoever.
>>
>>53856586
Is there someplace where I can hear her speak? you are never successful at a JVM performance person unless you are unbelievably good.
>>
>>53863021
Would I be able to do that by using
Cd ~/.local/share/xorg
Rm *.log
>>
>>53863062
yes
>>
>>53863047

It's an installer for Arch which doesn't work and which defeats 50% of Arch's purpose (installing it yourself, what you want, how you want, without a useless abstraction).
>>
>>53863097
>>53863021
https://0x0.st/P_U.log
>>
Two small questions regarding GNOME themes.

1. I'm using
>GTK+ = Arc-Dark
>Icons = Numix-Circle
>Cursor = Paper
>Shell theme = Arc-Dark

And in many windows (but not all) the quit, minimize, maximize etc buttons on the top right are invisible (they still work, but they're the same color as the top of the window). I narrowed the culprit down to Arc-Dark's GTK theme. Is it buggy like this or am I doing something wrong? It also seems to make the text in input boxes extremely light and hard to read (like you can see in the screenshot)

2. How can I make the dock extension to show Firefox as only one icon if it's open? As it stands right now, the dock is very inconsistent. Some icons like Files, when opened, will still have just one icon with little blue markers below, indicating that there's an instance of that open. But not for others, like Firefox, which appears twice in there (one for the link, one for the open instances). How can I fix this?

Thanks for your time guys, cheers
>>
>>53862058
>installed a Dutch system
why
>>
now your X is working
the problem is GNOME not working
try starting gdm again, maybe it works now
systemctl isolate graphical
>>
>>53863214
I chose English as language and Belgium (nl) as location, for some reason it's now a mix of english and dutch
>>
>>53863164
>>53863253
>>
>>53863263
Best wel ranzig, als je het mij vraagt.
Anyway, basic X was missing some default applications it tries to start, but you probably want your own DE. I was gone for the past hour so I don't know if your issue was fixed yet. If not, what are you trying to achieve (specific DE/WM setup)?
>>
File: IMAG0035.jpg (3 MB, 2144x3808) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0035.jpg
3 MB, 2144x3808
>>53863253
I still get this screen, maybe gnome isn't installed correctly?
>>
>>53863303
yeah, probably
sudo pacman -S --needed gnome

this will install missing packages from the gnome group
>>
>>53863302
I'm trying to get Gnome working, but it just doesn't want to. I googled how to install gnome 3 and that didn't help at all either. Would it be easier to completely remove gnome and install kde, as gnome seems to be retarded?
>>
>>53863337
Uhm, I think my internet connection is not set up yet.
>>
>>53863347
I haven't used Gnome after Gnome 2, and I have never worked with KDE. You're probably better off listening to >>53863337, since I also don't use Arch (or Arch-based distros).

Just found it amusing to see someone using a Dutch language on their system, you don't see dutchies doing that very often (or Belgians, in your case).
>>
Noob here.
Is there even any reason I need to stress over which DE I should choose? I'm looking at installing OpenSUSE (didn't have any DVDs or flash drives lying around, believe it or not! Waiting on one to arrive in the mail) and it looks to me like any DE can be made to look pretty much like the others with some work. I'm used to Win7 but the standard DE from Ubuntu 14.04 (work pc) feels really nice.
>>
>>53863377
systemctl enable --now NetworkManager
>>
>>53863402
You can use whatever WM or DE you want, and you can always change to a different one if you like. The standard DE in Ubuntu, however, is Unity, and I'm not sure if it's available on non-Ubuntu based distributions.
>>
>>53863439
It is, I saw a guy running Gentoo and Unity in one of these threads once
>>
>>53863402
Make sure to also check out others, such as Cinammon - if you're coming from Windows 7, that's probably gonna be very very familiar to you. Other great ones are GNOME, and MATE. I've heard good things about KDE and Xfce but I've never been a big fan of either - but that's just subjective

Don't stress out, just check out a few and see which one you like best. It's just a coat of paint, basically.
>>
>>53863467
It's not available in the Funtoo mainline repos (just checked), but it might be available in an overlay, or he built it himself manually. My point is, Unity isn't common outside of Ubuntu, so if you want that specific DE, but sure to pick a distro that contains it. As a "noob", you probably don't want to spent time and effort into building and maintaining it yourself.
Also, >>53863497 has some good suggestions. I'd add LXDE/LXQT to the list of options.
>>
>>53863212
Anyone know the answer to either of these?
>>
>>53863497
>>53863439
Gotcha. I do want it to feel different from Win7, that's one of the reasons I want to switch. The sheer amount of DEs to choose from is staggering.

>>53863527
Don't take my sentence about Ubuntu's DE for more than it is; I didn't want to imply that I really really need or want all of the features Unity has.
>>
File: IMAG0041.jpg (2 MB, 2144x3808) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0041.jpg
2 MB, 2144x3808
>>53863430
>>
>>53863606
my personal favorite is GNOME. If you want an Ubuntu that comes with it right out of the box, look no further than Ubuntu GNOME
>>
>>53863606
How "different" are we talking about? Do you still want to use the mouse to navigate and drag windows around, or would you prefer doing this all with your keyboard (takes a bit to get used to, but is often considered much more effective)?
Do you still want a general "taskbar" with a menu to launch applications?

What are you looking for? What features do you prefer? We might be able to slim down the list, so you can get up and running faster.
>>
>>53863634
What are you actually learning here? Why not learn how to do this for yourself before attempting it, instead of spamming the thread with pictures and essentially getting spoonfed throughout the entire process?
>>
>>53863707

He's a "master troll", a genuine help vampire or just narcissistic (because of his reflection on the screen). I feel pity for the guy desperately trying to help him.
>>
>>53863707
Well, I search stuff up and try doing it on my own while waiting on replies, and I trust /g/ more than google.
>>
>>53863635
Again, I'm looking to install OpenSUSE and based on what you guys said I think I'll go with GNOME for a start and check out more lightweight DEs as I go along.

>>53863656
>Do you still want to use the mouse to navigate and drag windows around
Yes please.
>taskbar
Would be nice but not strictly necessary.
> features do you prefer
Coming from a pretty feature-laden OS like Win7 I probably take a lot of shit (like being able to drag windows with the mouse) for granted.
Mouse behaviour shouldn't change for now and there should be keyboard shortcuts. Launching programs via bash only wouldn't be a problem since I only install a small selection of them anyway, but having a status / task bar would be nice.
>>
>>53863734
I can't tell the screen to stop reflecting right? And helping newbies is the purpose of flt isn't it?
>>
>>53863748

You're an idiot. All of those things are explained on the Arch Wiki.
>>
>>53863785
Come on now guys, this is supposed to be a friendly thread. If you don't approve of his behavior then just ignore it and let the other guy help him out
>>
>>53863768
Gnome is fine for what you want, as far as I can tell. If you want more lightweight, you could go down to xfce/lxde/lxqt, which still have all the features you want, but are more configurable to change this behaviour.
If you want more hotkeys, you could look into using sxhkd to set these up. You can use that in every WM/DE you want to switch to later, so you dont have to redo your keybinds everytime you want to switch.

>>53863773
It is sort-off the purpose, but it's generally expected of people to put in a little effort themselves, and these basic issues you run into are explained endlessly on different wikis.
Not a reason to be rude to you, they could also just point to the wikipages.
>>
What are some various ways one could put music on an iphone 5s running ios 8.4 with xubuntu? Without running itunes in a vm, if possible.
>>
>>53863861
Running itunes in a VM didn't work for me anyway, I tried it

Try Clementine or Rhythmbox, both have the ability for rudimentary syncing to iphones/ipods
>>
>>53863634
Do you have internet connection now?
Try installing plasma instead
sudo pacman -S plasma
sudo systemctl disable gdm
sudo systemctl enable sddm
sudo systemctl isolate graphical
>>
>>53859956
Alright, thanks.
>>
>>53863827
Nice, thanks for the advice.
>>
What should I know before starting to learn GTK? I'm about to compile my first GTK+ GUI from a tutorial.

What kind of advice do you have which could help me to learn GTK faster? What's the most important thing to understand about GTK, that would make learning it very easy?
>>
>>53862668
>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting#Deleting_the_runtime_libraries
It worked, thanks m8.
>>
Is it unethical to use google chrome only for pornography?

I don't really care if google knows that I like watching tranny pornos. It's not a personal thing like my real browsing history.
>>
>>53864275
it boggles the mind that someone would actually bother to ask this question
of fucking course it's not unethical man, you're not burning down an orphanage here, just fapping.
>>
>>53864275
If you are ok with Google knowing
- what kind of porn you like
- specifically on what videos you were watching longer
- and creating a profile of what exactly do you like

Then go with it
>>
>>53864345
tfw Data Science and Big Data Analysis is the most evil field
>>
>>53863809
>>53863773
>>53863809

Sorry, I wasn't being mean. Genuinely just suggesting that actually learning it is a more worthwhile experience.
>>
>>53864345
>>53864398
Question: are the NSA or other security forces unable to track your metadata if you're not using Chrome and something like Firefox? Because that just seems to me like such a naive thing to believe, but what do I know
>>
How's KDE neon? It's based on ubuntu LTS with newest KDE stuff, which I hear fix the stability problems with plasma 5.
>>
>>53860233
>>53860068
fuck off poointheloo rajet, you brown piece of shiet.
>>
File: 1428244355053.jpg (37 KB, 350x523) Image search: [Google]
1428244355053.jpg
37 KB, 350x523
Using Xubuntu for years.
Feel a bit like a n00b because I haven't experimented with any more complex distros (Arch, Gentoo). Is it worth it?
>>
>>53864654
Just go with Debian and you'll be set for life mang
Not that much more complicated than what you have, but much more freedom and learning opportunities

Once you have Debian Stable installed, upgrade it to Unstable for the bleeding-edge stuff
>>
I have arch and windows on dual boot, apparently this fucks up the timezones somehow and the time is never correct on arch

how to fix?
>>
>>53864654
I would say it is. But it depends on what are you searching for in your distros.

Messing it for fun, "hard" distros are great. Arch, Void, Antergos, etc. . .

For funcionality, I would say Debian Stable, *buntus, etc. . .

>inb4 you can get funcionality with "hard" distros

Of course you can, but it is easier with the vanilla ones
>>
>>53864697
>switch to Debian so people don't bully you on /g/

There's virtually no difference.
>>
>>53864727
If only there was a wiki telling you all you need to know about this
>>
>>53864750
I don't know about you, but I think it's worth it to get away from Canonical. It's also way more stable and less bloated, specially with a netinstall. And the way it handles packages (everything from a single official source) instead of adding PPA's everywhere is much cleaner and nicer imo. Debian's unstable repository is huge, I've never needed for anything outside of it
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.