[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stepping away from Ubuntu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: crycrytux.jpg (5 KB, 250x172) Image search: [Google]
crycrytux.jpg
5 KB, 250x172
>Ubuntu is for kids and people unwilling to learn Linux
Well I think it's a great way for people to be introduced to Linux.
>Look at Ubuntu's integration with Amazon and Wikipedia
I get what you're saying b-b-but Canonical has a right to make deals with groups for integration of 3rd parties stuffs.
>So Canonical made a deal to put bash in Win10
..... Fuck Ubuntu.

Yeah, this seems weird, but bash and all the tools that came with it (especially apt) is what made me step over to linux in the first place. I went for Ubuntu because of the reasons I gave.

I'm stepping over to Debian.
What other OS's do you guys think will try to sell out linux like some cheap whore?
>>
>"booohoo my os isnt special anymore"
Go blog somwhere else
>>
>>53856416
Hmm...
Fedora / redhat will probably sell out at some point.

No other distro is big enough to sell out. By design Debian CANNOT be sold out because Debian is not governed by a company.
>>
apt isn't a part of bash.
its a part of *buntu userland by the virtue of *buntu being a debian derived distro but calling it a part of bash shows how much you know about *nix in the first place which is ironic because you call *buntu a noob distro in your OP.
>>
>>53856416
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>53856524
>apt isn't a part of bash
fair argument
>it's part of *buntu userland by the virtue of *buntu being
blah blah blah, yes APT was originally designed for Debian systems almost 20 years ago, I get it, you're a fucking faggot who can't answer a fucking question.
And yes, Ubuntu was originally intented to help Windows users be comfortable with Linux.

>>53856462
Then my choice is made

>>53856459
No
>>
>>53856416
maybe if you had bought an Ubuntu Phone Canonical could actually turn a profit and not be so desperate
>>
>>53856583
>What other OS's do you guys think will try to sell out linux like some cheap whore?
contrary to hollywood belief we common folk Indians do not possess powers to predict the future.
>>
File: Windows Linux.png (7 KB, 401x253) Image search: [Google]
Windows Linux.png
7 KB, 401x253
>>53856416
Win10 user here. You're a member of the Microsoft family now OP. Don't fight it. Accept it.

Rejecting a Linux distro because it's not freetarded enough is so stupid. You should be proud of Ubuntu for being business savvy. They have cut deals with Amazon, Valve, and Microsoft. I use RedHat/Fedora because I'm a dev, but normal people should totally use Ubuntu or Mint (Mint flavoured Ubuntu).
>>
>>53856590
nah man that's their(Canonical's) fucking fault for not making them with a hardware company with a better reach worldwide.

Huwaei,ZTE whatever even fucking Ziaomi or whatever would be more easy for me to get here.
>>
File: 1456720013430.gif (1 MB, 217x217) Image search: [Google]
1456720013430.gif
1 MB, 217x217
Honest question, what does it mean for ubuntu this purchase?

And why did microsoft bought them? Isn't it open? Is it like that basic with floating point situation?

I don't get it. What will microsoft do with Ubuntu?
>>
>>53856633
Mint is a great distro. It just werks. But on /g/ there are many people who would go through 3 weeks of installing an autism distro only to find out that the package manager does really suck dick. But hey at least they can congratulate themselves on not using "le evil company" software and knowing the difference between GNU/Linux.
>>
>>53856462
I wish I could like debian.

Unfortunately: https://www.debian.org/women/

(I'm not against women in linux, but ultimately specific projects to encourage them over are too close to SJWism for comfort.)
>>
>>53856416
Kill yourself.
>>
>linux
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
Wanna step away from windows finally. What flavor should i use? I'm a quick learner and sick of genetic crap. Nothing for babies. Nothing for pro digits either.
>>
>>53857268
Debian, Mint or *buntu
>>
>>53857104
it's ok, it's just one hidden page with a few words; it's ok to be inclusive
>>
>>53856416
You're a fool.

All Canonical did was prepare and release its OS without linux kernel binaries.

There is literally no deal.

And Win10 Linux mode will run binaries from any distribution that runs on a Linux kernel.
>>
>>53857317
>it's ok to be inclusive
this is a shitty, corporate kind of "inclusive" that rubs me the wrong way.

which is really a shame since debian has some of the best ideals out of any distro
>>
>>53856561
Just because RMS says you should correct people when they say Linux over GNU/Linux doesn't mean you aren't annoying as fuck when you do it
>>
>>53857348
Being annoying as fuck is exactly his intention.
>>
>>53856679
Canonical (the company in charge of Ubuntu) wasn't purchased. They're in a partnership with Microsoft to implement something of an image of Ubuntu to run at the same time Windows 10 is running. It works like Wine except in reverse. Plenty of tech sites have covered it if you want more.

I can't personally see what Canonical gains out of this, and if anything some of the more die-hard Linux fans will be pushed even further away from Ubuntu. I'm not sure what Canonical is getting out of this deal.
>>
>>53857384
Crashing this operating system
With no recent backups
>>
>>53856416
That's right OP, because bash was written and developed by Canonical, thanks god, they allowed Windows 10 to use it!
>>
>>53856416
Honestly, I think this is a step in the right direction for Windows, and it doesn't really affect how I feel about Ubuntu Linux.
>>
>>53857104
debian was about equality at least. remember how the creator killed himself due to a woman raaping him?
>>
File: 1458525006134.jpg (23 KB, 379x328) Image search: [Google]
1458525006134.jpg
23 KB, 379x328
>>53856416
I was there a few years ago, like you. Ubuntu was my entrance into Linux when I was still a kid, now I'm mainly using Debian too.

Ubuntu is awesome for first time Linux users, but way too bloated. There's no point getting Ubuntu and strip it of shit and be worried apt is gonna get some shit from the Ubuntu repo with a update.
>>
>>53856679
This is mostly for developers.
They were losing market to open source stuff, might as well surrender the walled garden, there was nobody in it.

Besides, free and open source tools are just leagues ahead anyway.
>>
>>53857104
The thing is, if you're not actively trying to recruit women in fields like these, you're practically trying to not recruit women
>>
>>53857543
Then so be it.
There should be no arbitrary barriers to the inclusion of women, but active recruitment attempts of anyone on such a basis are distasteful.
>>
>>53857534
Or you can not care about bloat and be productive with your time instead.
>>
>>53856644
Gotta agree with the tripfag.
Same brands are sold out here in West Europe, never seen a Ubuntu phone on sale here.
>>
>>53857104
I thought this level of autismo was restricted to /v/
>>
>>53857543
How does this make sense in your head?
>>
File: 1303152403803.jpg (30 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
1303152403803.jpg
30 KB, 750x600
>>53857559
It's distracting me from being productive...
>>
>>53857563
>Board has a sticky with an image of a man who dedicated his life to an ideology of software freedom, to the extent of using a shitty chink netbook because it had a free BIOS
>but refusing to use an OS on a different ideological basis is too autismo
>>
>>53857569
probably involves gamergate and jews

don't push his brain too much
>>
>>53857438
OP here.
I just wanna bash your fucking skull in with a keyboard for that comment.
With love of course.
>>
>>53857569
Not him, but it's a simple problem of numbers

Not enough women applied
So
Few women work there
So
Less women apply
Even treated reasonably fairly, because there are less of them, the number of women getting in is still tiny (not because of any sexism, simply because it's a numbers problem. If you get 10 applicants, 9 male, and pick one at random [which is what skill based is essentially] the odds are you're not hiring a woman.)

And so the number of women working there remains low
So
Less women apply

so ultimately if you want to up the number of women you have to specifically seek them because the impartial random process will rarely select them.
>>
>>53857583
No it does not. You're distracting yourself from being productive yourself because you don't want to be productive, and choose to blame the bloat you imagine to be there.
>>
>>53857617
>if you want to up the number of women
I do not to up the number of women.
I do not care about the number of women.
I hire skilled workers without discriminating them by gender.
I am not "trying to not recruit women" as you have previously put it.
>>
>>53857633
That's all well and good, my example is purely restricted to explaining how an impartial process results in de-facto (segregation is too strong a word, but you know what I mean.)

>I am not "trying to not recruit women" as you have previously put it.
That wasn't me, that was someone else.
>>
File: 1459389526949.jpg (331 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1459389526949.jpg
331 KB, 1920x1080
>>53857618
I don't do much productive on a computer anyway, I don't work in anything IT.
Also for example I don't even use Amazon, why the fuck would I need it?
>>
>>53857657
That poster that conveniently is not you is essentially equating not discriminating against mean to misogyny. You silly explanation does not help one bit.
>>
>>53857678
>is essentially equating not discriminating against mean to misogyny
And I await his explanation of his reasoning with baited breath.
>You silly explanation does not help one bit.
It explains the mechanism by which such segregation arises even though nobody has ill intent.
Ironically you're dealing with someone who finds outreach programs as a whole to be an ugly kludge of dubious value.
>>
>>53857691
They are dubious.
There is no sensible reason to want an increased number of women in tech.
>>
>>53857662
>I don't do much productive on a computer anyway
Your time does not have to be spent on computer.

In your case, it seems you don't do much productive at all.
>>
File: Photo Oct 24, 17 18 34.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Photo Oct 24, 17 18 34.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>53857772
Nope, I just quit from the army and enjoying being lazy, before going to work again.
>>
>>53857104
What regular distro doesn't have one of these though?
https://archwomen.org/
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Women
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Women
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWomen

Gentoo doesn't (searching for it, someone tried and it died in 2006/7, kek.) but it's not exactly general-use.
>>
>>53858206
>there is no distro that doesn't pander to identity politics
BSD then?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.