[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> The food/staples retailing industry is very small in comparison
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 24044197076_df65ea09fc.jpg (39 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
24044197076_df65ea09fc.jpg
39 KB, 500x282
> The food/staples retailing industry is very small in comparison to computing, but I quite assure you that in my homeland of Northwest Arkansas, the cops have a record of every family with a Walmart executive in it and they know damn well better not to fuck with them. Even a low level Walmart executive isn't going to get beaten, humiliated, and falsely charged in the Ozarks.

> Ian is dead for the same reason Lance and Jonathan and Aaron are: computing, as an industry, has no will to power. Computing is filled with nerds who want to focus on their own shit and think politics is stupid. They are right, politics is stupid, and I shared a little of that attitude up until the point a gun was pointed in my face, my home was reduced to rubble, and I was being beaten and starved in solitary confinement. Computing's lack of will to power is especially tragic not only because it has the highest potential for power, but because the big players of the game realize that it does. Regardless of the apolitical nature of the industry it is being dragged into Marxist struggles anyways.

What do you think of this analysis?

Do you believe tech is vulnerable to attack from other elements in society because despite its huge wealth, it's basically still that group of socially awkward kids who lack 'power'/social savvy?
>>
>>53856092
Are you fucking blind? Did you not see "Gamergate"? Did you not see what happened when the SJW tried to infiltrate tech companies?
But in a way you're right, there will be atleast one cuck telling you to go back to pol because not conforming to society scares their asperger's.
>>
>>53856130
>Did you not see what happened when the SJW tried to infiltrate tech companies?

The SJWs control Twitter now, that's a pretty prestigious piece of territory in Silicon Valley...
>>
>>53856137
Are you serious?
>>
>>53856092

There was a study a few years back that found that all the decades of IT investment had only *just* broken even. All the "paperless office" and "low overhead" computing was a sham. They spent more time and money on training, IT staff, and fast-obsoleted hardware than they ever gained in productivity.

Back in the late 1990s or early 2000s there was an article in Time or Newsweek (I forget) that stated that Walmart was solely responsible for something like 90% of the US GDP increase in the entire decade of the 90s. THE WHOLE FUCKING DECADE.

IT/tech/software don't mean *shit*. Flashy buzzwords and bullshit marketing don't make it valuable. Everyone knows it's just a time and resource sink. Beyond the invention of the spreadsheet and database (allowing POS, inventory, and accounting improvements), it's a complete waste of time. All the employees are fucking around on Facebook, not improving productivity through faster communication.

By the way, did you see the article on Reddit/HN the other day claiming that real estate absolutely dwarfs every other sector of the entire economy?
>>
>>53856292
I've been thinking that there's a massive bubble in tech and it's called data. Data is being collected as if it were worth as much as gold, the assumption being that advertisers will pay for targeted ads.
The bubble will pop when people realise that all the data they collected isn't actually very useful to them. It's like tulips, everyone thinks its valuable because everyone else does. Someone's gonna crunch the numbers one day and realise that the amount of money they spend on targeting adverts doesn't actually correspond to an increase in revenue.
>>
>>53856292
Tech companies continue to invest and grow. Yeah, all the savings from those investments got spent... On more investments. That's why the tech industry grows so quickly.
>>
File: ProfitsLOL.jpg (168 KB, 1300x1065) Image search: [Google]
ProfitsLOL.jpg
168 KB, 1300x1065
>>53856321

Yep.

>>53856325

Bullshit. The ENTIRE FUCKING TECH INDUSTRY is a blip compared to other industries. Apple is the only exception because they've been *brilliant* in their execution and marketing, and they've hoarded money like no other.

Look at Amazon. They keep reinvesting absolutely everything back into themselves. But they're not *really* growing. They're ultimately going to just cannibalize themselves.

The tech industry "grows" on bullshit and hot air. Here's where money is made in tech: B2B licensing (databases, OSes, and productivity software, mostly), hardware (only Apple and tiny, tiny margins for all the rest), and ALL THE REST is retarded bullshit.

Take, for example, the "paperless office" and the rise of Blackberries (and now iPhones) in the corporate environment. Staff at your company thinks they're just *super* productive now because they can delegate so fast. Except that they're never making any actual, consequential decisions, and ALL THEY FUCKING DO is churn endless bullshit. If I had a dime for every time I got a completely retarded question from a project manager or direct manager that required me to take 30 minutes to several HOURS out of my day to answer, I'd be a wealthy fucking man.

This is the promise of tech realized: fucking retarded middle-managers who think they're fucking Steve Jobs because they fired off a quick, misspelled, vague request to a lackey with absolutely no awareness of the FULL COMPANY-WIDE COST of what they just did.

THAT is tech. Bullshit smoke and mirrors. With a marketing brochure featuring a vague graph trending upwards.

(pic related. You ever notice how every stupid product/software announcement has to feature some stupid upward graph, usually labeled "QUARTERLY PROFITS!", maybe with a video clip showing an attractive hand model's finger sliding the graph upward? Like tech is magically going to make your PROFITS INCREASE BUY OUR SHIT)
>>
>>53856092
if you haven't been backdooring, keylogging, and assembling massive dirt on everyone in local politics, law enforcement administration, and 'leadership' positions (ie college administrators if you have them, the business owners who sit on the boards of some of your town's committees, have lots of influence, etc)

then i don't know what you're doing with your life.

it was piss-easy 15 years ago, it's still doable now.

colleges are 10/10 btw go for professors, deans etc who sleep with students

power comes from the 3mm travel distance of my mechanical keys
>>
>>53856455
Y u so mad?
>>
>>53856754
he's not mad, just emphasizing his points.
also he is absolutely right.
>>
>>53856455
>Here's where money is made in tech: B2B licensing (databases, OSes, and productivity software, mostly), hardware (only Apple and tiny, tiny margins for all the rest), and ALL THE REST is retarded bullshit.

I left out high frequency trading.

Then again, I bet a huge part of "high frequency trading" value is actually created by ridiculously convoluted spreadsheets, so...
>>
>>53856913
You forgot internet startups that got launched at just the right time and got super lucky, and are now booming. All that shit about amazon not really collecting much liquid cash, it still doesn't change the fact that their revenues are fuckhuge. Same goes for facebook, which is eternally in "troubled waters" and yet zuckershit is one of the richest fuckers on the planet.

Value is never real, it's always perceived. The bubble may break, or it may not, but there's always the next growing bubble to latch on to. This is what techfags figured out in the 1990s and still swear by, counting their millions in their corner while the world shits on them verbally for making shit that objectively is fucking nothing and yet ends up being "the next big thing".
>>
>>53857025
>their revenues

Revenue doesn't mean jack shit.

They are literally going to pour their money into growth until there is nothing else to swallow, at which point they'll die because they've cut margins to, effectively, zero.

> Same goes for facebook, which is eternally in "troubled waters" and yet zuckershit is one of the richest fuckers on the planet.

That's a completely pointless statement. Yes, people are idiots and WILDLY overvalue data collection. It's 1999 all over again. The only difference is that we now know that ad impressions have a value of, what, one tenth of one cent?

>The bubble may break, or it may not, but there's always the next growing bubble to latch on to.

You don't get to just ignore the immense loss of wealth and stagnation you get between the bubbles.

> This is what techfags figured out in the 1990s and still swear by,

Uh. As of 2016, I don't think we've reached the tech employment numbers we had in the year 2000. If we have, it's only in the last year or two.

I'm not even kidding. People have NO FUCKING CLUE how insane the late 90s tech bubble was. And people don't see how insane the current tech bubble is getting. All these companies with huge valuation multipliers who can't show any actual means to increase profits.

>while the world shits on them verbally for making shit that objectively is fucking nothing and yet ends up being "the next big thing".

Blah blah blah.

Let me give you some advice: become a Java programmer. Yep, do the most mundane thing with the largest number of jobs available. Write shitty, ill-documented code. Make yourself a crucial, irreplaceable part of the business. Make sure to take vacation at a critical time so that a major release can't happen until you get back.

Meanwhile, put all of your money into saving for a down payment on a house. Rent that house out. Buy another house. Repeat.

Why? Because real estate DWARFS THE REST OF THE ECONOMY.
>>
This happens when you drink the liberal kool aid, you are too dumb to know your rights and you're a noguns faggot
Even niggers aren't this retarded
>>
>>53857103
Anyone should know for insane the current bubble is when people like moot can scam VC's and then get into Google
>>
>>53857103
>muh real state
You know nothing about economy, right? Hope you enjoy 2008
>>
>>53857314
Real estate keeps its value, but it suffers from massive price fluctuations.
Generally it's a gamble, which is why you buy as much as possible.
If one house in a neighborhood gets infested with niggers, you just lost all value. But if you have property all over the country only a massive systematic collapse can damage your investments.
But when has THAT ever happened?
No but seriously even if that does happen you're still owning land, brick and steel.
>>
>>53857314
>You know nothing about economy, right? Hope you enjoy 2008

Again, have you seen the recent article that delved into how real estate dwarfs everything else? No, no you haven't.

2008? YOU FUCKING SHOW ME WHERE I SAID TO GET INTO AN INSANE BALLOON-PAYMENT MORTGAGE AT A RIDICULOUS MULTIPLE OF YOUR SALARY. I didn't. I didn't say a goddamn thing like that.

But since YOU don't understand the economy or real estate, you're going to just spout retarded, fear-driven bullshit sourced from your vague grasp of what happened in the financial meltdown.

But hey, kid, go ahead and put your eggs in the tech basket. I'm sure some doomed-to-failure startup will happily take your unpaid overtime as you feverishly try to capture some semblance of success until you're burnt out and physically broken. But hey, at least you didn't get "duped" into buying something that inevitably increases in value.
>>
>>53856493
What can you even do with that data?
>>
>>53857828
Blackmail
>>
>>53856240
He's dead serious, what do you think Anita Sarkeesian is up to now? What do you think is happening with shadowbanning people nowadays? The new council?

A few years ago nobody gave a fucking crap about politics. But the regressive left came along and they just had to shit on everything. And now we have /pol/ invading places as well.
>>
>>53856092
Yo we've
Also Arkansas is a shithole.. Why do you have to turn on the brights in the morning to see through mosquitos?
>>
>>53857341
>Real estate keeps its value,
some guy whose dad bought a family home in Detroit back in the 60s to pass on to his kids would like a word with you.
>>
>>53856092
Good, i don't want normies in my tech industry.
>>
Computing is rather weak in political arenas, and it shouldn't be. The oil industry is just about untouchable. Google and Apple are sitting on larger piles of cash, and can't even be bothered to bribe a few politicians to keep away all of the SOPA clones and attempts at encryption bans. We shouldn't be relying solely on groups like the EFF to protect our rights. We need more influence.
>>
>>53856455
Nice to see you on /g/, Dilbert.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.