[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Leap or Tumbleweed for desktop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: OpenSUSE_Logo.svg.png (89 KB, 2000x1433) Image search: [Google]
OpenSUSE_Logo.svg.png
89 KB, 2000x1433
Leap or Tumbleweed for desktop?
>>
>>53849769
Depends, are you planning to use Open Source or closed source driver for your GPU?
>>
>>53849769
Tumbleweed
>>
>>53849769
I'm using Leap right now and it's pretty decent, but I have yet to try Tumbleweed. But as a BSD native, I tend to favour stability.
>>
>>53849769
What does openSuse do better than ubuntu? Is it worth switching?
>>
>>53849904
openSUSE is centered around the RPM package format and its well-regarded YaST2 GUI-driven configuration tool. Maybe more appropriate for users who want a more GUI-driven environment, automatic configuration, or expected functionality out of the box while still allowing depth of customization.
>>
>>53849964
Fedora is the best rpm distro though.

Look up benchmarks and you'll see opensuse falling behind other popular distros in performance.
>>
>>53849792
closed source, not OP tho.
>>
>>53850035
And opensuse has better KDE implementation.
If you want to use gnome 3 then sure just use fedora instead.
>>
>>53850035
>Look up benchmarks and you'll see opensuse falling behind other popular distros in performance.
not seen the benchmarks, but this can only be like 5% max. its all the same code
>>
>>53850035
>Fedora is the best rpm distro though.
If you want shit breaking on you, yeah. Tumbleweed is the perfect mix between bleeding edge and stability.

>Look up benchmarks and you'll see opensuse falling behind other popular distros in performance.
Bullshit, not only benchmarks are stupid, Fedora has many more impacting flags set on it's daemons. Most distro have the same versions of third-party software anyway.

Fedora has its merits, but also its problems.
>>
>>53850324
Leap than, it is pain in the ass using closed source drivers in tumbleweed.
>>
>>53849904
Ubuntu was great, but since Unity it has decided to be picky with some of the versions of the packages it ships. Unity is nothing revolutionary, so it doesn't make sense sacrifice the new features brought by Gnome for that sake of a distro exclusive DE.

openSUSE is more agnostic with its choices, it offers the best KDE experience available but its Gnome is loses on nothing compared to others.
>>
>>53850370
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-sep15-6way&num=1
Worth the read.

>>53850455
Never had anything break on me yet.

>>53850351
That's a valid point.
>>
>>53850035
If your goal is performance you shouldn't be using an rpm distro in the first place.
>>
>>53851336
Actually Fedora has the highest performance of any mainstream distro.

See phoronix >>53850998
>>
>>53850998
This benchmark is completely worthless.
>>
File: opensuse.png (95 KB, 547x435) Image search: [Google]
opensuse.png
95 KB, 547x435
>>
>>53849769
I tried the rolling version a few weeks ago in vbox and the shit wouldn't even boot.

I would avoid it.
>>
>>53849792
Open sourced
>>
>>53851404
>it doesn't agree with me therefore it's not valid
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.