[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dh p_20j0Ys I'm in sh
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Dl1dKqo.jpg (92 KB, 1024x572) Image search: [Google]
Dl1dKqo.jpg
92 KB, 1024x572
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dhp_20j0Ys

I'm in shock.
Why the fuck is there a command so fucking dangerous on Linux?

This is why there will never be linux desktop year.
>>
>>53848827
what shitty admins to allow this to even be possible
>>
I told you, Microsoft shills.

Leave.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS THREAD, END THE PAID SHILL FLOOD OF BULLSHIT ON /g/
>>
>>53848958
>bumping a thread to tell people not to reply
Learn to sage newfag
>>
This is an ancient problem in UNIX shell, one of the most praised languages that should in fact be reviled, and actually one of the reasons UNIX is so fucking popular. Even macs have this problem.

>UNIX people think this is a good programming language
rm * (a separate program from the shell and a terse special character. lol, selecting files is so convenient with globs!)
cd ..; rm -r dir (two more programs called, more special operators that make no sense)
>this is an explicit all-in-one language, what systems researchers wanted to move towards after experiencing the horrors of unix spaghetti shell and its software tools
>it is very efficient, more secure by merit of not ambiguously calling the first program with "name" in a modifiable search path, and harder to fuck up in. not even an errant space will screw you over.
(delete (getallfilesindir dir))
(delete-recurse dir)
>>
>>53849059
Fuck off, shill.
>>
>>53848827
>implying del *.* doesn't do the same thing
Fuck off shill.
>>
lol. This is awesome. This is why linux is for adults. Also - pretty sure someone ran that on purpose.
>>
>>53848827
I'm seriously starting to think that microsoft is paying people to advertise their products and to talk shit about their competitors even if it's completely retarded.
>>
>>53849116
What's wrong, little baby? Don't like people pointing out design flaws in your 1970s software?

I think you need to know something before you say "shill" again

Had free software emerged earlier, this could have been prevented. We could have improved, we could have moved on. However, because UNIX was proprietary and sold off to various vendors (with no authoritative upstream), it was standardized for inter-vendor compatibility. With FOSS, if someone makes a change, you can merge it, but with proprietary software, you need to make a standard because nobody can ever merge a change. Proprietary software is frozen in time.

Just look at linux, adopting new features and even ideas from plan 9 at a rapid pace while "Real UNIX" stays firmly set in the past because adding and using new features would break compatibility. The only areas where linux stays stuck in the mud are those closely related to POSIX.

I'm sure some bearded child would say "it just werks, dont breag it if ids not brogen :DDDD real men deal with their tools" at this point

>>53849189
Microsoft wants to do to linux what the unix wars did to UNIX.

If microsoft really does adopt a specific set of tools as the "standard" linux environment on windows, that set of tools we become a de-facto standard decided by a central authority, and will be frozen in time harder than it already is because if you change you will break compatibility with windows.

>GNU mailing list, 2035
>we can't change that behaviour, microsoft has frozen their version of this program and doing so would break compatibility with enterprise scripts if people used the new feature
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.