[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I found an old Netbook (Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 1MB RAM, 128GB HDD)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: in the mood for love.jpg (189 KB, 1200x858) Image search: [Google]
in the mood for love.jpg
189 KB, 1200x858
I found an old Netbook (Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 1MB RAM, 128GB HDD) and I want to use it to learn more about linux. I only used ubuntu and mint so far

I'm wondering what distros are good to learn. Autism distros are fine as long as they will be manageable (with some guide) by a relative beginner.
>>
>>53846295
>I'm wondering what distros are good to learn.
All of them.

Just pick one and roll with it.
For the specs go for a lighweight DE.
If you don't know which ones those are - use your brain and Google it for fuck sakes.

Do you seek approval for every single one of your decisions?

saged
>>
>>53846319
>Do you seek approval for every single one of your decisions?
yes, is that ok?
>>
>>53846295
>1MB RAM
You cant run anything recent.
Not even Puppy linux.
>>
>>53846295
>found a notebook
>>
>>53846704
Pretty much

Currently running Xubuntu on a 1GHz Dual Core at 4GB

runs okay

Much better than the pre installed Windows 8
>>
>>53846704
what? I can run windows 7 on it without any trouble
>>
>>53846319
Pretty much this. They're all free. Download a few that appeal to you and try them.
>>
>>53846748
>Windows 7
>1 MB

do you even come to this board
>>
>>53846704
>>53846765
it was a typo, 1GB RAM

what the hell 1MB RAM is probably over 20 years ago
>>
>>53846295
>Autism distros are fine as long as they will be manageable (with some guide) by a relative beginner.

any "hard" distro out there from from gentoo, arch, to LFS, will be completely installable by an almost complete beginner (i.e., someone who has managed to install something like ubuntu) so long as you're not tech illiterate and can a) read documentation, b) problem solve using google

the only barriers to entry will be PEBKAC issues or (rarely) misinformation through google - which may slow progress (and may result in you blaming the distro for your problems when it's misinformation from google - also PEBKAC issues) but won't stop you completely

but if you want to learn gnu+linux then just pick a distro, use it daily, use stuff relevant to your interests, ta-da, most of what you learned can be applied to any other distro without issue
>>
>>53846884
yeah I'm definitely not tech-illiterate, it's just that I never spent any hardcore time with gentoo or something. I just dual boot a win7/mint machine and I mint is a breeze when it comes to package management.

I'm thinking of going for Arch first because I read everywhere when I see Gentoo something along the lines of "gentoo lel good luck"
>>
File: fucketry.jpg (131 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
fucketry.jpg
131 KB, 500x500
Slackware
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.