[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yo /g/ quick question: Is it worth to overclock my RAM and what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: BackB.jpg (138 KB, 1024x543) Image search: [Google]
BackB.jpg
138 KB, 1024x543
Yo /g/ quick question:

Is it worth to overclock my RAM and what is the safest/easiest way to do so?
>>
>>53844505
no
>>
No its not. You're gonna see very little improvement over locking your ram. You'd be way better off getting more ram than over clocking it
>>
I wouldn't recommend, except that you have an APU and no dedicated video.
>>
>>53844505
You will see an improvement only if you are running AMD APU or Intel iGPU as integrated graphics rely on RAM frequency. Also, some games like GTA5 do have performance improvement with high-clocked DDR4 memory.

Safest way to do this is to download CPU-Z, open the RAM tab and there you will see manufacturer XMP profiles for each of your RAM sticks, this information includes: frequency, timings and recommended voltage. If you follow manufacturer XMP profile - you will be fine and safe. If you will try to get some sick frequencies or bump insane voltages - you might end up fucking up your RAM sticks or Mobo.

If for any reason after overclocking your system is not booting i.e. only black screen, no bios, nothing - just reset CMOS. Although modern motherboards have built-in protection from fucked up CPU overclocking and after reset they will just revert to default settings, RAM is not the case on most motherboards, so you have to reset CMOS manually. To do so you should follow your Mobo manual.
>>
>>53844505
just apply your xmp profile in bios and youre good to go
>>
>>53844505
>Is it worth to overclock my RAM
Only if you play Fallout 4

>what is the safest
Buying RAM capable of going higher speeds

>/easiest way to do so
Messing with timings and voltage to get RAM to work a higher speeds than rated for
>>
if you have bottom of the barrel ddr3 1333 then you will see some performance improvement, i got my 1333 to 1667 with even lower timings than stock.
>>
I don't even use dual / triple ram and single channel is the same fucking shit.

Modern PC's RAM & CPU is irrelevant and all you need is a GPU.
>>
>>53844505
Generally a higher frequency is more beneficial than a lower timing, but in a fair amount of cases slower ram at a lower timing can increase minimum FPS of games.

Generally I would want to run my DDR3 at 1600 7-8-7-19 rather than (the same modules) doing 2133 at 11-11-11-31, but people with APUs would want as much bandwidth as possible.
>>
>>53845969
why does gta have improved performance with ddr4? games are meant to use only the gpu memory, no?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.