[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>copy important vital backup from Ubuntu to flash drive >no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1211889637052.png (67 KB, 247x248) Image search: [Google]
1211889637052.png
67 KB, 247x248
>copy important vital backup from Ubuntu to flash drive
>no progress bar
>file just appear on the file manager
>open it just to make sure
>yep it's there and it opens
>remove flash drive/safety eject
>reinsert
>important file nowhere to be found
>>
>>53841461
silly anon, symlinks are for kids!
>>
>>53841490
>creating symlinks instead of copying the actual file

fucking why?
>>
>>53841518
why would you do things the normal, sensible, oh-that-seems-obvious way, when you can do it the hard, rtfm, if-you-don't-like-it-fix-it-yourself way?
>>
>>53841461
Probably would have worked correctly on Windows.
>>
>>53841518
It saves space on the greybeard's ancient machine; and as we know, the linux ethos is 'it works on the old computers you have lying around the house because you're a compulsive hoarder and change gives you anxiety attacks'
>>
>>53841461
update:

If you reject the drive it does seem to copy the files in the background, with zero indication of progress. if it's a big file you will need to babysit for hours and wait for a little message to pop up on unity/nautilus whatever the fuck it's called.

If you pull out early it'll corrupt the ntfs formatting requiring windows to fix.

Jesus fucking christ I spent 40mins trying to drag and drop a fucking file onto my flash drive.
>>
>>53841682
another update

fat32 works perfectly if it's small files, big file still get fucked

ntfs is completely beyond fucked
>>
>>53841682
>If you reject the drive
noooooo
>>
>>53841682
I don't know why it does not work for you. My USB keys are formated in fat32 or NTFS and it works all the time. I use thunar tho.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.