[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ ~ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: sysadmin.jpg (24 KB, 300x227) Image search: [Google]
sysadmin.jpg
24 KB, 300x227
/sqt/ ~ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your simple/small/stupid questions here, ONCE and WAIT for a reply. You are NOT entitled to an answer.

For Linux related stuff, try >>>/g/flt

>READ THE STICKY FIRST >>51971506
>GOOGLE YOUR ISSUE BEFORE POSTING
>DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION

Redirect anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find this thread.
>>
File: Current.png (128 KB, 2147x959) Image search: [Google]
Current.png
128 KB, 2147x959
>>53840690
I can't do much else besides copy and paste pre-made CSS, and I'm using a dark version of yesterday's April Fools' theme. My question is how do I get the free-floating quick reply button back (either circle or square would be great)?
>>
File: Capture.png (13 KB, 371x570) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
13 KB, 371x570
Does anybody know which version of 4chanx that has the updater on the downright corner with a big box-tab thing, instead of just the number?
>>
File: 1457753523819.jpg (150 KB, 583x444) Image search: [Google]
1457753523819.jpg
150 KB, 583x444
what the best 4TB hard drive?
>>
File: Main PC with VPN.jpg (54 KB, 647x372) Image search: [Google]
Main PC with VPN.jpg
54 KB, 647x372
Why the hell cant I access certain websites from my home internet?`

Example, I cant get to GitHub with my ISP, so I connect to a VPN (PIA) and then I can connect. Cool, so I always have to be on VPN for that.

I test that from every device on my network, only when im connected to VPN does it work. Windows and Android and iOS.

So, now Ive got a raspberry pi with Raspbian and OpenVPN.

If I look up my IP it comes back as PIA and in Switzerland. Perfect, exactly how I configured OpenVPN.

However, I still cant access GitHub.

DNS on RaspberryPi is set to PIA Servers (209.222.18.222, 209.222.18.218) and all other devices use Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

Im at a bit of a loss trying to work this out. The only thing that seems likely is changing DNS again to Google DNS.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
This is probably a stupid question, but that's what this thread is for, right?

I'm in San Jose CA for GTC. I was too late for registering for the discounted hotels, so I'm living at a hotel near San Jose Airport.

I've never been to San Jose before, is it safe for me to take the tram from the airport to the San Jose conference center (about 30 mins) with a lot of visibly expensive equipment, or will I get robbed? I know there are some cities in CA where taking public transport is generally unsafe.
>>
>>53841492
Misconfigured DNS is my best guess.
>>
>>53841531
Ok, So i have changed it to Google DNS on the Pi. It works with most other websites, but stiill cant connect to Github.

I try $traceroute to Facebook, and it goes fine, no problems.

I try github, and I get 1 hop to my own address then it stops.

It shows github as being 192.30.252.130 (trying that from my vpn pc shows that too)
>>
>>53841567
Try rebooting your gateway router. There's probably a technical reason, but I'm too tired to think straight right now.
>>
S7 edge or Sony Z5?
>>
>>53841478
Anything made by HGST.
>>
File: 1459180590764.jpg (53 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1459180590764.jpg
53 KB, 800x800
>>53840690
How can I make money with my website?
What's the best way?
>>
What happened to Startpage? It used to work great for web results (image search sucks though) but since a few days ago it has been giving me bad results for my searches. Did they change anything recently?
>>
>>53841672
Legal scams.
>>
niggas i need help. my ex girlfriend has the password to my email (microsoft) and i need to change the password but when i went to change it i had to put in my phone number because gay security shit and now i cant change my password for 30 days apparently. so for 30 days she can still access all my shit. and shes batshit crazy. is there a way around this? i dumped her partially because she wouldn't stay out of my shit constantly looking for anything at all on my computer that she disapproved of.
>>
>>53841740
>>53841672
Start recruiting Kyani product sellers with that thing!
>>
I've got four slots for dual channel RAM, one of my sticks went out. I have a spare set that run at the same frequency, but are 1.25V instead of 1.5V. I know I can't mix them within the channels, but could I do 1,2 1.5V and 3,4 1.25V without cooking something?
>>
Is Startpage giving awful results for anyone else? It slowly started pushing relevant stuff like Wikipedia pages to the 2nd or 3rd page.
>>
>>53841800
>sharing your password with anyone besides NSA
shiggy diggy doo
>>
>>53841800
just delete everything in your inbox
>>
>>53841868
i had a note pad doc un-named full of account info hidden in a 1tb hdd full of un sorted crap and i only know for sure she found it now because she accessed my youtube account and changed the password.
>>
>>53841910
im doing this but having access to my email means she could change passwords to all my other accounts and view them.
>>
>>53841840
It can work but it can also lead to BSODs or if unlucky you'll lose both RAM modules so I wouldn't recommend it. It's always best to use RAM modules with the same specs. Just buy a new one, it's not that expensive.
>>
>>53841960
delete everything
kill self
>>
>>53841947
If you're going to keep all your passwords in a text file, the least you can do is encrypt it.
>>
>>53841970
i still have her nudes if she goes ape shit i guess.
probably why she hasnt done anything yet
>>
>>53842012
well it never mattered because i live by myself and never let anyone on my computer. im pretty sure i left it running when i was at work and she come over and went through it then. because it was always off and i made sure not to type the password infront of her. but a few weeks before we broke up she told me she knew my login (my pass for most things aswell)
>>
File: 1453531939776.jpg (138 KB, 1024x859) Image search: [Google]
1453531939776.jpg
138 KB, 1024x859
I want to buy a new ssd to hold my os and some essential programs, my 60gb is becoming overfilled. I don't really wanna break 100; what should I get?
>>
>>53842264
any 250GB SSD.
preferable samsung/crucial.
>>
Is $250 for a new HTC one m8 on Amazon too good to be true?
>>
If I were to plug a 4k screen into a hackintosh, what do I do to make it "retina" or whatever?
>>
So for some reason when I watch any youtube video on Firefox my GPU starts spazzing out and goes to full load all fans spinning running at ~65degrees when it idles at about 40 usually.

Only other time it does that it when I'm gaming. Tried it on IE and it runs normally.
My GPU is a 2 week old R9 390

Does anyone know what the hell is going on?
>>
I've recently paid about $11/mo for hosting, which gave me maybe 200GB storage and 2000GB bandwith. I really really don't need all that, so do any of you know where i can get less for cheaper? Or is that not very likely?

I'd be happy with maybe half a gig of storage
>>
Greetings from /a/. Since they're allergic to giving straight answers, I'll ask here: MPV or MPC-HC? Pros, cons, etc.
>>
>>53842544
is your ISP host-friendly?
if so, just throw a server on your computer or a cheap second hand pc and use that as your host.
>>
File: what is it tho.jpg (60 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
what is it tho.jpg
60 KB, 1000x665
Damaged cable has been arcing I guess? This thing looks a bit charred and only works when you hold it on a specific angle... what the fuck kind of plug is this though?... got a standard figure 8 next to it for size reference.

also
>>53841628
sony always wins, baby
>>
>>53842586
go back to /a/ and never come here again.
tell your 2d pedophile friends the same.
your kind are not welcomed here.
>>
>>53842603
they don't shun it but i don't think i can get a static ip to point my domains to. i've have a raspberry serving some bullshit python scripts but my ip changes every couple of days

but also im changing apartments in a few months and the website kinda needs to stay up longer than that.
>>
>>53842456
driver issue or bad gpu or its working normal.
choose one.
>>
I'm setting up rsnapshot on ubuntu for my data.

Ive finished the initial sync and was creating a snapshot as a test and running it as roon the backup folder gets automatically owned by root whereas the rest of the drive is owned by my user.

Can I change this? If I run the cron job as my user I get
>ERROR: Could not write lockfile /var/run/rsnapshot.pid: Permission denied

What do?
>>
I need to buy a new phone, my old Nokia from c. 2008 is finally dying. What should I get as my first smartphone? I only really need to be able to call/text, browse the web and use some banking apps. Around 500-700$ budget.
>>
>>53842749
Get a Nexus
>>
>>53842609
Power and damaged cables are a bad idea.
Replace if you can.
>>
didn't firefox have a feature where you could drag and drop tabs into different bubbles which acted like different windows of firefox?
i can't seem to find it and i can't remember the name of the feature, so i can't even google it
>>
>>53842749
Motorola E 2nd gen.
>>
>>53842850
they removed that because no one used it.
>>
>>53842859
welp but it werked
>>
any good android music apps?
>>
Is there anything like laptop mode tools on Linux for Windows?
>>
>>53842866
they suggest some addons as a replacement.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tab-groups-removal
>>
I'm wanting to build a rig with my 7 year old son.
He saw some ARK survival vids, and wants to try it out. Unfortunately my current rig is a Core-2 Duo with 2GB ram, so there's no way I can get ARK to run. My screen is 1024x768.

This will be a long term project, so I'll be buying the components over 3-4 months.

Any recommendations for a build?
My current budget is around 180€, and I am hoping to save about 100-120€ per month over the next 3 months for this.

Not looking for anything crazy, just something that will run it at 24-30 fps, doesn't even have to be 1080p.
>>
>>53842894
http://www.logicalincrements.com/
>>
>>53842880
SicMu Player.

Because it is the only one I've found that lets me sort my music by folder structure.
>>
>>53842884
noice
thanks mate
>>
>>53842894
The game is known for having a piss poor optimization so good luck on that build.

You could also get your son into PC gaming with some taste instead of a steam early access game.
>>
>>53842406
Retina display is just a measure of display quality.
If the PPI of your 4k screen is >~220 and the resolution is set to 4k in display settings of hackintosh then it is retina.
>>
Would a generic air-blowing product harm a computer in any way if used for dusting (like with static electricity or whatever)? There are some products specifically made for computers, like this one (which seems to be universally recommended with good reviews):

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW

But that one ends up being about $100 CAD after shipping to Canada and everything.

I was hoping something like this,

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/performance-tool-shop-blower-0540250p.html#.VwDKTPkrJhF

which is half the price, could be used without any danger?
>>
>>53842264
Get a 120 gb one from samsung ,sandisk
I would recommend 250 gb one .
>>
>>53840690
What can i do with a shitty android netbook?.
I'm thinking of installing Arch and use it to download torrents
>>
laptop is busted but i really dont want its 500 gb hard drive to go to waste

any creative minds suggest anything?
>>
>>53842945
Just use a vacuum cleaner. Done it thousands of time without any static electricity harming a component.
>>
>>53842965
Well simply remove it and use it on another machine
>>
>>53842945
i've used an air compressor to clean my and other PCs many many times and i never had any problems
>>
>>53842965
>remove cover
>bring it to school or work
>enjoy your free stuff from microsoft
>>
>>53842981
h-how though? aren't laptop hardrives and pc hardrives like, different? my new PC has low space, am i able to add in my laptop hardrive?

forgive me if i sound like an idiot, im not a /g/entleman and this is a "stupid questions" thread
>>
Is there a way to download a whole website with all of its links?

I tried the Save Page As, it saves the page but not the link on it. When I click a link on the offline page it tries to go back online.
>>
>>53843032
wget
>>
>>53842907
Thanks. Would an Entry rig cut it?

>>53842934
We have built an arcade cabinet together running off a raspberry pi I won, and have played through the history of arcade games, from pong, centipede, 1943, through to hits on the NES and master system.

He also enjoys mine craft, especially with the jurassic craft mod.

I realise ARK is in development, but I haven't found any other game where you can interact with Dinos to this level.
>>
>>53840690
Is it possible to upgrade directly from Windows 8.1 Home to W10 Professional if there's already a W10 pro key in UEFI from a previous, dual-boot Win8 pro update?
>>
>iPhone SE retail priced announced (480 eurobucks)
>iPhone 5S instantly drops to 330

Get 5S or wait for lower price /g/?
Don't really want to buy SE just because muhh numerical improvement
>>
>>53843025
>h-how though? aren't laptop hardrives and pc hardrives like, different?

physical size, but the actual standard is the same. You can just plug it into your motherboard and it will work.
>>
>>53843025
laptop HDDs are usually 2.5" whereas deltop drives are usually 3.5"
the connectors are the same though and you can buy a bracket so that the 2.5" fits into a 3.5" slot
>>
>>53843034
Ill see if I cant get this to work, trying to get the service manuals for my car. My friend is in the auto program and has access to a website full of info, but there is probably 500 different links under my make and model.
>>
>>53843042
no, even high end cards seem to struggle with it.
>>
>>53843042
Unfortunately, ARK is an unoptimized piece of shit, so even high end rings struggle to run it well.
It'd be really hard to buy a cheap pc specifically for ARK.
>>
>>53843083
Crappola.

So basically I'm looking at 800$ minimum for a rig that can run ARK?

Thanks for the input.
>>
>>53843055
>You can just plug it into your motherboard and it will work.

holy shit really?

>>53843067
thanks

never knew this was possible

gonna try this out, thanks. goddamn.
>>
I just installed MonoDevelop and created a console application Hello World. When I clicked Debug this error appeared. How can I fix it?
>>
>>53843099
Chekked and thanks
>>
>>53842803

that's what I'm trying to do bruh

the female end/terminals are looking fine so I don't think they need replacing, but the cable absolutely... I just can't seem to find another example of this type of plug
>>
>>53843071
>friend is in auto program
Can you explain please?
>>
can i use chromium and canary as a default browser on windows
>>
>>53843172
sure, if you want.
>>
>>53843172
Only one can be a default browser at a time.
Choose wisely
>>
Android is using 4 and a half gigabytes of inaccessible files on my internal storage

any way to lessen this?
>>
>>53843170
He is going to a technical school to be a mechanic, GM ASEP.
>>
how come i can take my linux hard drive and use it in almost every configuration with full support but i cant take my windows hdd out and put it in another pc without lots of 'windows is configuring' and clusterfuck driver errors
>>
>>53843189
Well that are the OS/system files.No way to lessen without rooting.Why do you want to reduce?
>>
>>53843205
shouldn't actually happen as there's a portable windows version you can run from a stick.

what version did you test with?
>>
>>53843200
But I thought all cars in us come with service manuals.

On a related note , anyone know where to get service manuals for smartphones?
>>
>>53843218
i didnt used windows to go i just pulled my hdd out and out it on another system. it was windows 10. btw i am not asking for a fix this happened a while ago and i just wonder why. maybe its about how different oses manage drivers?
>>
>>53843224
Cars come from the factory with small manuals, tells you how to use the radio and what periodical maintenance. Kinda like a quick start guide that doesnt go into much detail.

You can buy more informative "Haynes" or "Chilton" manuals at the auto parts store which are much more in depth telling you how to fix stuff. But they can tend to be vague, and sometimes leave a lot of stuff out.

What im trying to download are factory service manuals that break down every single part of the car, every single repair, schematics for the electrical system, correct procedures and stuff.
It breaks down the car to the very last bolt, the mechanics at the Ford dealership dont know every single thing about every single car. They use the service manuals to figure out shit they have never seen before.
>>
Is it worth getting my own modem in place of my ISP's?
>>
how do i go into c++ GUI (knowing what's going on, without ide preference)
i tried to mimic a good looking program (357 kb exe file) with wxWidgets and got a 8 mb exe with one hello world window frame
>>
>>53843050
Only Win 7 pro/ultimate and Win 8/8.1 pro can upgrade directly to W10 Pro

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions
>>
>>53843189
Make a backup.
Root.
Uninstall bloatware.
Unroot.
Make a backup of your new, lighter stock rom.
>>
>>53843302
what platform, windows?
wxwidget needs to have its resources shipped with itself because it's not windows native.

look into the winapi instead http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/simple_window.html
>>
>>53843283
I understand how service manuals work, that's why I asked for manuals for smartphones .
Shit is pretty hard to get by.
>>
>>53843296
Depends on how shitty the companies modem is.

I am seriously considering it.
I have Comcast with a gateway (modem + router), and it broadcasts a second SSID which you cant turn off.

If you dont pay attention, it broadcasts an open connection for Xfinity users to come and use whenever.
If you turn the Xfinity "home mobile hotspot" off, it just turns the SSID into hidden. No way to actually stop it from broadcasting.

On principle I might just do it, even though a moden and router of this caliber are going to be expensive.
>>
>>53843052
bump this, any smartphone guys around?
>>
>>53843370
Buy 5s if you are waiting for price drop,they are not gonna drop more.
>>
>>53843345
You have to pay monthly rent for it right?
How much is rent?
What are its specs?
>>
I'm thinking of studying CS at uni. What are my chances of actually getting a successful future in CS.

My school is forcing us to learn python, but I'm thinking of learning C++ of the summer (unless any can suggest better).

I'm in UK btw
>>
>>53843345
>Depends on how shitty the companies modem is.
That's what I thought.

Problem is, this is the first and only internet connection I've used since I struck it out on my own 2-3 years ago. The only reasons I'm thinking of buying one, are that using theirs probably makes it easier for the ISP to watch me, and probably has some sort of bandwidth limitation.
>>
>>53843391
Yeah its 7 bucks a month
Its a typical DOCSIS 3 with 8 streams, but it has a strong dual band router in it.
Equivalent strength routers are in the 200$ range, plus buying a higher end docsis 3 modem on top of it is like 150$

I dont want to put out the cash, especially with how finicky comcast is with people bringing their own modems.

>>53843450
Your ISP isnt going to stop watching you because you buy your own modem.
>>
>>53843424
Major in Math with a CS minor.
If you cant do it, you are going to be a low level code monkey for life.

If you can actually do high level math, it gives you all types of problem learning skills that regular CS kids will never have.

Its not hard at all to learn how to code, being proficient is.
>>
Is it a bad idea to get a refurbished phone?
>>
If I have an iPhone 5s on 7.1, and if I update it now to 9.3, will it ask for iCloud password?
>>
>>53843520
With manufacturer or some kind of warranty, no.
>>
>>53843520
With the Verizon insurance, when you make a phone claim they send you a refurb phone.
I went through a period where I would just break phones.
Sometimes you get a brand new looking one, sometimes its got scratches and looks worse and runs crappier than the phone you would send in.
Luckily with Insurion you could send it back for another one if you werent happy.
>>
>>53843483
>how finicky comcast is with people bringing their own modems
Care to explain buddy?
>>
Does anyone here has MSDN subscription?
I had a few questions.
>>
What's a good (and free) alternative to dropbox to keep my work stuff synched between my desktop and laptop?
>>
>>53843596
Google Drive?
>>
>>53843596
Google/evil drive
>>
>>53843596
Use an ftp server. or git
>>
>>53843309
>>53843050

He can bypass it by creating an "ei.cfg" file in windows > sources folder of ISO, containing

>[Channel]
>Retail

It will ask wether to install Home or Pro version of Windows 10 then, even if you're on Home.
If he has Pro key already set in UEFI, it will get avtivated automatically
>>
>>53843689
I thought that only works on clean install,not on upgrade install.
I am mistaken ain't I?
>>
>>53843738
It works on upgrade install, at least it did for me. I did that, copied all the files on my USB drive, booted from it. then, it told me that upgrade is in progress and to remove the usb stick, go back to windows and restart the update.

I did and it let me choose if I want to update to home or pro version. I was on Windows 8 home, picked pro and it just updated to Win 10 pro normally.
Seems like an oversight from MS to me
>>
Should I install CM10.1 on my Galaxy Tab 2 or is there a more lightweight ROM I can use instead? Little to no multitasking, mostly browsing the internet and GPS navigation.
>>
>>53843520

If you're getting a good deal, sure... why not?

I got a Sony Xperia Z2 refurb about a year ago for a great price and still looking like new

Thanks to whoever it was here that recommended that way back when
>>
File: 1459363808494.jpg (28 KB, 640x440) Image search: [Google]
1459363808494.jpg
28 KB, 640x440
a friend of mine just sent bitcoin to an address poising as a bitcoin mixer a la MITM.... my question is how did the guys with the fake page get sites to link to it in the first place? did they inject the links themselves, bribe the owner of blog or whatever, or has this group been stetting up popular websites just for a big pay out later...

one thing that's interesting is that the link that sent my friend to the MITM worked as advertised just a week ago..?????
>>
>>53843840
What is the model ?
>>
>>53843904
p5110
(Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Wifi)
>>
>>53843914
You did check XDA right?
>>
>>53843938
Well, seems "Android-Andi" made some AOSP-based ROMs but I don't know if the current one (espressowifi-Omni 5.1) is slimmer than CM10.1. I was hoping someone had experience with GT-P5110 ROMs and could recommend one.
I guess I'll test it and if it's shit reflash CM.
>>
Can I format drives from a VM, or should I boot into GParted or similar for that?
>>
>>53841524
not tech related.

>>53842055
you're fucking retarded. you deserve this shit. hope you learned something. use LastPass or something.

>>53841840
>>53841967
you cant have different voltage on different ram slots. they all run on the same voltage.

also, every RAM manufacturer has lifetime warranty, just contact them for a free replacement.

>>53842406
retina is just buzzword

>>53842544
one.com

>>53842586
mpc-hc + madvr

>>53842894
>I'll be buying the components over 3-4 months
NEVER EVER DO THIS! you will be wasting money. save up all the money and buy everything at the same time.

>>53842975
dont listen to this fucking retard. just because you're lucky doesnt mean vacuums create static and CAN fuck up your hardware.

compressed air is fine and the best choice

>>53843117
usually, but if it's older it might use a combined sata/power in which case you'd need a $2 adapter to split data and power cables.

>>53843115
yes. and for the love of whatever, dont fucking buy one component each month because by the time you're done and can actually use it, there will be something cheaper/better released and you will have wasted a fuckton of money.

and you lose X months of your warranty because it counts from your purchase date.

>>53843205
>>53843218
driver incompatability because you changed the fucking hardware, dipshit. and yes it should happen because that's how windows works.

>>53843595
stop being a retard and just ask the fucking questions

>>53843596
microsoft/google

>>53844145
which drives exactly? the ones inside the VM or the drives on the host computer?
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 260x343) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 260x343
Just did a fresh install of iOS 9.3 twice from iTunes. A family member still asking me questions that are too coherent to what I used my phone to do the previous days.

I understand exploit tools like Metasploit and YiSpecter, so I keep my wifi and Bluetooth off.

Did they somehow find the route to my SIM card and making direct attacks for downloading spyware?
>>
>>53844177
The 5tb of drives on the host computer. Its running xenserver
>>
>>53844177
>doesnt mean vacuums dont create static
FTFY

vacuums DO make static
>>
>>53841478
HGST or WD Black.
>>
>>53844216
if you can see the drives inside the VM (as if they are connected to that machine) you should be able to format them
>>
>>53844215
you need to turn off that shit that lets to access the phone's memory/storage (the shit you do to jailbreak it and reinstall the OS i think)

and you need to turn off the sync shit or make a new sync account
>>
>>53844276
Thanks
Also, whats the best way to transfer my data, all at once or individual/small groups of files at a time? They will all be ext4
>>
>>53844345
i would do them folder by folder (but still at the same time) just so in case i have to stop one transfer i wont have to wait an eternity for it to cancel and i wouldnt have to move every file a second time.
>>
File: Untitled.png (6 KB, 422x237) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
6 KB, 422x237
>>53844345
My code doesn't go past the value enetring plz help
>>
>>53843032
Wget -r downloads everything on the Web page that is linked
>>
>>53844406
use the [ code ] tag and post the text
>>
>>53844406
you read x and y.
then check if x is larger than y and smaller than y at the same time.
then you divide x by 3.
then you read t and z

think about it.
>>
>>53840690
I got £200 to spend on amazon UK, what do I buy? already have a high spec pc and peripherals

looking for neat little gadgets
>>
what gnu/linux distro is safe from SJWs
>>
>>53844487
dragon dildo
>>
>>53844487
A drone or a hoverboard.
>>
File: renge.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
renge.gif
2 MB, 480x270
I'm using YaRSS2 to download from nyaa.se. The "Matching" tab under subscription is giving me this message:

>Please enable cookies. One more step Please complete the security check to access www.nyaa.se Why do I have to complete a CAPTCHA? Completing the CAPTCHA proves you are a human and gives you temporary access to the web property. What can I do to prevent this in the future? If you are on a personal connection, like at home, you can run an anti-virus scan on your device to make sure it is not infected with malware.If you are at an office or shared network, you can ask the network administrator to run a scan across the network looking for misconfigured or infected devices.

I have cookies enabled. What's the problem?
>>
I installed Mint on my old desktop but the fan on my video card is running constantly. When I had Windows it would do that. Is there anything I can do to quiet that shit down?
>>
>>53844555
gentoo
>>
File: 12 Bar Jazz Blues.png (2 MB, 1300x961) Image search: [Google]
12 Bar Jazz Blues.png
2 MB, 1300x961
Why do most of my downloads of reasonably large sized files either fail or end up corrupt? Tried different browsers (Firefox and Chrome) and fucking around with clearing cache and using Chrome Cleanup tool and such, to no avail.

Would replacing the ancient cat5 (not cat5e) cable running to the modem help at all?
>>
So I have a ubuntu server running only a few things, smb, backups, plex, qbittorrent and rsnapshots for now.

How do I into security? I've enabled ufw and only forwarded the ports that plex, smb and qbt require.

Am I doing it right? What else do I need to look out for?
>>
File: what the fuck did I do.png (35 KB, 990x654) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck did I do.png
35 KB, 990x654
This was my old Windows drive. It was never formatted correctly (used MBR so it capped out at 2TB because I'm a retard), and now I'm just trying to make it a storage drive. How do I properly format it to get rid of the recovery partition and then make all 3TB usable?
>>
I have a 980ti and i want to have some sort of external dock for my laptop, which has an expresscard slot. Are there currently any ways to do this? I looked online and saw the alienware graphics booster which didnt say expresscard (i also have usb 3.0 if that would be fast enough) and i have looked at the msi dock, which is apparently only available with their expensive gaming laptop. There are simple, cheap pcie to smart card docks out there, but v 1.0 pcie doesnt have the required bandwith. How should I go about finding a dock? Should I just wait until they start releasing more?
>>
>>53844555
what you do is go into the console and type
rm -r /
this will bring up a menu to control fans and stuff. Also has a cute anime girl icon that can be clicked to say funny things in Japanese and entice you to buy small figurines which you can collect and put in glass cases which can then be displayed in battlestation threads
>>
I want a laptop with great battery life - is a macbook the way to go?
>>
is xsplit\streaming in general more dependant on cpu, ram or gpu ?
my connection is fine but my old c2d rig is struggle with streaming
>>
>>53844620
start > run > cmd > diskpart > list disk > select disk 2 > clean > quit

Now format it properly through Disk Management
>>
>>53844620
did you try right clicking on the recovery partition
>>
>>53844620
Install Gentoo
>>
>>53844625
DO NOT DO THIS IT CREATES MUSTERD GAS
>>
Is there any way I can take an OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit from an Alienware Laptop and use it on a new custom built PC? I still have/use the laptop and am hoping to run the one copy on both systems.
>>
>>53844672
Thanks, I knew it was something easy that I was too retarded to google.

>>53844681
Yeah, it just brings up "Help."
>>
>>53844652
No. It's a thinkpad with a car battery in a satchel that you drag behind you like your fucking hoodie with a tail on it and ears on the hood
>>
>>53844701
no
>>
>>53844659
CPU
lower compression if your CPU can't handle it, it'll look like shit but is less stressful
>>
>>53844722
What exactly would happen if I tried it anyway?
>>
Can anyone link me a good list of suggested tweaks for windows 10? theres like 10 different on MDL, no idea which one to use
>>
>>53844438
i change it to if x is bigger then y then multiply x by 3 and if y is smaller then x devide by 4
still won't get past the enter value stage
Program VeciManjiBroj;
Var x,z:real;
t,y:real;
Begin
write('Unesi x= ');readln (x);
Write('Unesi y= ');readln (y);
If (x>y)and(y<x) then z:=x*4 else t:=y/3;
Readln (t);
Readln (z);
readln
End.
>>
>>53844762
Bill Gates will come and ragefuck your mouth in your sleep
>>
File: file.png (68 KB, 612x414) Image search: [Google]
file.png
68 KB, 612x414
Can't for the life of me understand this. I can't purchase this, Tomb Raider or Gears of War.

The other two I don't want to, but I'm suffering the same issue.
>>
>>53844762
it most likely wouldn't let you have 2 copies active , the second installation would probably get trial version
>>
>>53844783
You have to do your Windows updates.
>>
>>53844783
did you check if there are updates waiting to be installed?
>>
>>53844780
Is that supposed to be a deterrent?
>>
File: file.png (7 KB, 389x167) Image search: [Google]
file.png
7 KB, 389x167
>>53844790
>>53844794
D'oh, should have mentioned that I have.
>>
So my Galaxy Tab 2 (GT P-5110) isn't being recognized by my pc when plugged in, neither in bootloader more nor in Recovery so I can't push the new ROM to it. It only shows an unknown USB device. I manually uninstalled and reinstalled the driver several times (from different sources), to no avail. What do I do? I vaguely remember this giving me a headache a year ago when I first fucked around with it and can't remember what helped.
>>
File: file.png (51 KB, 401x738) Image search: [Google]
file.png
51 KB, 401x738
>>53844798
>>53844794
>>53844790
Well I've found the problem. Now why did they all fail?
>>
>>53844769
you are still READING t and z.
>>
>>53840690
What is the cheapest GPU for 4K desktop?

(I want a 2nd screen and only have a 780Ti)
>>
>>53844809
No idea, maybe you restarted during installtion or something?
>>
>>53844589
change DNS, try different cable, if none of those work call your ISP.

>>53844762
first off you cant have two active installs with the same key.
secondly the OEM license is tied to the original motherboard and wont activate on a different computer.

also alienware is overpriced as fuck

>>53844836
depends on what you're gonna do with it.
>>
>>53844786
so say i took the laptop out of the equation, would windows not realize that it's not installed on the original hardware anymore?
>>
>>53844735
cool was just curious

i did order a cheap new build (mobo, case and psu haven't arrived yet) but would an A10 kaveri be okay for streaming?
>>
evening cunts.

for a complete noob like me, which of these is going to be the easiest to demonstrate on a virtual machine/whatev

The OWASP Top 10 security risks:

A1 Injection
A2 Broken Authentication and Session Management (was formerly 2010-A3)
A3 Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) (was formerly 2010-A2)
A4 Insecure Direct Object References
A5 Security Misconfiguration (was formerly 2010-A6)
A6 Sensitive Data Exposure (2010-A7 Insecure Cryptographic Storage and 2010-A9 Insufficient Transport Layer Protection were merged to form 2013-A6)
A7 Missing Function Level Access Control (renamed/broadened from 2010-A8 Failure to Restrict URL Access)
A8 Cross-Site Request Forgery (CSRF) (was formerly 2010-A5)
A9 Using Components with Known Vulnerabilities (new but was part of 2010-A6 – Security Misconfiguration)
A10 Unvalidated Redirects and Forwards
>>
>>53844890
only on low resolutions.
>>
>>53844824
Yeah sry didn't notice it.It woorks but it only calculates x and not y why?
Program VeciManjiBroj;
Var x,z:real;
t,y:real;
Begin
write('Unesi x= ');readln (x);
Write('Unesi y= ');readln (y);
If (x>y)and(y<x) then z:=x*4 else t:=y/3;
writeln('x iznosi= ');writeln(t);
write('z iznosi= ');write(z);
readln
End.
>>
would re using my old vx450w be fine with this ?

>Asus A68HM-K
>AMD A10 7850K 3.7GHz
>Gigabyte AMD Radeon R7 250 1100MHz
>>
>>53844902
a3
>>
>>53844913
well yeah its old arcade games \ 2d fighters
>>
>>53844953
yeah, won't even sweat it
>>
>>53844984
nice, i have got incredible mileage out of the vx450
>>
>>53844944
you don't calculate x or y.

if x is larger than y you multiply x by 4 and store it in z.
if x is smaller or equal to y you divide y by 3 and store it in t.

then you write out t and z, but only one of them will have a value based on your calculations before.
>>
>>53844874
OEM licenses are tied to the hardware, you cant use them on other computers.
>>
File: judgementgunfinal.webm (3 MB, 1100x619) Image search: [Google]
judgementgunfinal.webm
3 MB, 1100x619
How do I keep soft subs in an mkv I want to upload to youtube? When I try to do this
ffmpeg -i input.mkv -ss 00:00 -t 00:00 -c copy ouptput.mkv
and upload the result to youtube the subtitles are missing. Shouldn't -c copy copy everything, including subtitles?
>>
>>53845249
youtube only supports SRT subtitles.
not sure if it pulls them directly from the video or if you have to add them manually.
>>
>>53845249
Oops, "output" is spelled correctly on my end.
>>
>>53845249
>>53845265
here more supported subtitle formats
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2734698
>>
>>53845265
>>53845291
OK, that makes sense. Thank you.
>>
>>53845016
So i can't write the value of my two calculations
only one?
>>
I'm trying to access a rack mounted computer remotely so I can use it from my laptop.
So far I've tried Windows Remote Desktop and Splashtop.
The latter doesn't work offline. The former works but there's a problem with the mouse. I'm guessing it's reporting relative position because in my program when I try to adjust a control (DAW software) it jumps to maximum and doesn't want to go back until I've moved the mouse far enough in the opposite direction upon which it jumps to the other extreme.

Any alternatives to RDP and Splashtop or ways of fixing the mouse problem?
>>
>>53845349
remove the condition and you can do both.
>>
I have a really, really shitty x86 clover trail tablet with a digitizer (Samsung ATIV Tab 3) that I still want to be able to use. If you're curious, I did not spend a goddamn cent on it, but I doubt I will get much for selling this piece of trash.

It came with Windows 8 (not 8.1) and I have tried both the home versions for Windows 8.1 and 10. Both are trash, with 10 being slightly worse because it has to use 8.1 drivers due to lack of official support for it. I can't manage to install Debian on it or any other distro that might be able to boot in UEFI 32 bit tablets because it really dislikes to get past GRUB.

So I'm stuck with only two options, 8.1 and 10. Is there any sort of modified version of 8.1 (like in the days of XP, I kinda recall) that can run lighter on resources?
>>
>>53845368
Ok tnx man you've been a big help!
>>
Is 850W power supply enough?
>>
>>53845409
pcpartpicker.com calculates watt usage
>>
Installed Win10 on my PC. The response time is awful, everything takes so long to open (folder/start menu/search...). It's a clean install. The PC is not old, should be able to handle Win10 with no problems at all.
>>
how do you guys come to a final decision on a build? it's been 7 years since i've built one and i can't make up my fucking mind.
>>
>>53845592
promo's
when one of the item of my builds hit it low enough that i can buy another component with. i would go and buy the compatible parts with it.
>>
>>53840690
what's the best/fastest non botnet browser?
>>
File: 1370912418732.jpg (47 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1370912418732.jpg
47 KB, 500x375
So replaced the cord on one of my USB gamepads with another cable from an old broken USB keyboard.

When i tested it, windows won't recognize the device. Tried switching the green and white cables (because in some schematics data + can be green and in others can be white, same with data -) but it didn't work, i get the same error.

What could the error be? Maybe the wires inside the cable are cut?

If any info helps, the cable has 5 wires: red, green, white and two blacks.
>>
Since neither /wsg/ or /a/ could help I might as well ask here.
MPC HC recently started freezing my PC when I want to watch some mkv files, not all of them but a lot.
The files that freeze my PC with MPC work with VLC and mpv, so not sure what's the problem.
>>
File: file.png (4 KB, 233x126) Image search: [Google]
file.png
4 KB, 233x126
>>53844809
>>53844842
Well Microsoft sure didn't help. Spent an hour with the guy to be told that Education Windows 10 doesn't get to install manual updates. We have to wait for the updates to install themselves, even though I've been waiting quarter of a year for this one.
>>
>>53845409
maybe, would help if you actually posted what the fuck the rest of the hardware is

>>53845528
drivers or broken drive

>>53845630
opera

>>53845749
reinstalled mpc? updated/revert to old drivers?
>>
What type of cable do I need to charge a sansa clip +?
>>
How big is a clean windows 7 install?
>>
>>53846289
probably 15 to 20 GB.
>>
so would low USB power typically be more indicative of a motherboard issue or a PSU failure?
the PSU is several years older than the motherboard and a bit budget bin but I've been having some weird USB glitches too, honestly not sure if it's all power related
>>
>>53846287
5 seconds on google you fucktard

>>53846312
>>53846289
it's 20-30GB with updates
>>
>>53846230
>drivers or broken drive
There are no official drivers for Windows 10 unfortunately so I have to rely on windows update. So I'm fucked then, aye?
>>
>>53846312
Do you think it would be worth it to drop a 212 EVO to add a 120GB SSD?

>>53846327
Im not updating it, i see no reason why.
>>
found my old win7 ulti 64bit disc yesterday. i thought i lost it or someone stole it

it was like finding pure gold
>>
I'm trying to make a(n?) Xubuntu boot drive, so I used the Startup Disk Creator in Ubuntu but when I try to boot from the drive all it says is "boot error" and I have no idea how to tell what's wrong...

Maybe a different writer will work better? I'm not sure what the best way to create one is.
>>
>>53846230
Reinstall didn't help, same with installing old drivers.
Can it be something with my PC? Would be weird considering it works with other players.
>>
>>53846313
hwmonitor

>>53846334
enjoy your bugs and security holes

>>53846336
i like turtles
>>
>>53846361
I will, i have used a PC with No updates for 3 years and never had a problem.

Common sense keeps me safe.
>>
>>53846361
>hwmonitor
I'm honestly not sure what voltages I should be seeing and how to determine which component is fucking up
>>
>>53846359
did you try updating drivers too?
and do you remember if you updated windows or installed something just before the issue started?

>>53846373
>he doesnt know how rootkits work
i bet you dont use AV software either since MUH COMMON SENSE

>>53846411
first you need to google and check what the volts should be and then see if what you get is correct

then you can start thinking about what to do about it
>>
Why isnt this try catch working?
   Private Sub btnCalc_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnCalc.Click

Try
beginningInv = txtBeginning.Text 'Getting the input from the user with textboxes
Catch beginningInv As InvalidCastException
MsgBox("The Beggining Inventory is not an Integer", "Error", MsgBoxStyle.Exclamation)
End Try

Try
endingInv = txtEnding.Text
Catch endingInv As InvalidCastException
MsgBox("The Ending Inventory is not an Integer", "Error", MsgBoxStyle.Exclamation)
End Try

Try
cost = txtCost.Text
If (beginningInv < 0 Or endingInv < 0 Or cost < 0) Then 'Making all of the input is greater than 0
MsgBox("You entered a number less than 0")

Else
average = (beginningInv + endingInv) / 2 'If there are no negitives, the rest of the code executes
turnover = (cost / average)
txtAverage.Text = (average).ToString("C") 'The output
txtTurnover.Text = (turnover).ToString("N1")
End If

Catch cost As InvalidCastException
MsgBox("The Cost is not an Integer", "Error", MsgBoxStyle.Exclamation)
End Try
End Sub
>>
>>53846484
there are 3, which one.
post the entire thing.
what type is beginningInv/endingInv

did you step through it?
does it throw an error?
does it just crash?
does it output something wrong?

DETAILS
>>
>>53846458
Adwcleaner, malwarebytes and Ublock Origin+uMatrix is everything you need.

If you are a retard and need them its not my problem.
>>
Is there a way I can see previous conversations on IRC? Sometimes I have to turn off my PC or I get disconnected without noticing and I miss out on some conversations. I'm using mIRC if it makes any difference.
>>
>>53846511
Sorry, the input is supposed to be an integer, and I want it to give the user an error message if is a string. It just crashes the program
>>
I've been out of the game for a while. What's the best media player for GPU accelerated playback of anime and high quality 1080p movies?
>>
>>53846458
Drivers are up to date.
I have automatic windows updates so maybe.
>>
>>53846566
use int.tryparse instead of throwing/catching exceptions everywhere.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f02979c7%28v=vs.110%29.aspx
>>
>>53846458
so it seems like CPU core voltage and +3.3V is dropping below tolerance
I probably need to replace my PSU anyways, may as well try that first and take it from there
thanks
>>
What are home servers for?
>>
>>53846725
stupid followup question, if a 750W PSU is only $10 more than the 650W version, is it worth going with that?
>>
>>53846757
for whatever you want them to do.
act as a fileserver, domain server, mail server, web server, etc.
anything.
>>
>>53846775
i would buy something off this page. they're amazing deals. 40% off etc

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=PPSSZHBHMCEJSV&icid=352933
>>
Guys I really fucked up.
I installed win 10 on the wrong disk, and now I saved over a bunch of importante stuff.

What metods do ypu recomend me to try to get my stuff back?

I'm really fucked please help.
>>
>>53846854
thanks, already grabbed this though
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Modular-Warranty-120-G1-0750-XR/dp/B00K85X2A2
$90 with Prime, free one day shipping
newegg tends to take longer than that
I need to use this machine for work, so I want to make sure I minimize any damage I end up causing
>>
File: pc.jpg (87 KB, 1059x809) Image search: [Google]
pc.jpg
87 KB, 1059x809
How is this pc build?

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/DdL9xr

>Programming in linux vms
>Compiling code in Microsoft Visual Studio
>Gaming
>Needs to be relatively quite while idle and under load
>Gtx 970 is just a ~$500 placeholder, might go with 1070 when it comes out or 380/390/480/490
>Probably gonna pair it with a 32" 1440p monitor
>>
>>53846924
6700k is like 20 bucks more and even if you don't overclock it has a higher speed than the 6700.
>>
>>53846924
>6700
>that heatsink
>that mobo

wew lad, you're spending about $300 extra bucks there for no reason. a 6700k is obligatory with that setup
>>
>>53846967
Ive read that the overclockable intel CPUs are worse for virtualization than the non-k ones.
>>
>>53846900
call up a data recovery service, send them your drive, shell out $500+
I'd recommend these guys https://gillware.com/
my company used to work with them all the time, they're very reliable
this isn't something you can do yourself, you need specialized tools
>>
>>53846993
Yeah wasnt sure about mobo, I just wanted all high quality stuff. Might drop the mobo to a Asus Z170-A.

6700 because im not gonna overclock and the k cpus have worse vm performance from what ive read.

I chose that heatsink because its very quiet.
>>
>>53847017
I'm not in America.

I'm fucked then. I'll just try to get my work files out first... then I'll probably take the drive to a specialist tomorrow...
fuck me.

Thanks
>>
>>53846967
>>53846993
>>53846924
>VMs
k series CPUs don't have intel virtualization support, you're going to want a non-k for better performance in VMs
>>
File: 1453654926563.jpg (21 KB, 428x392) Image search: [Google]
1453654926563.jpg
21 KB, 428x392
My 580 finally died and since pascal/polaris isn't out yet, what would be a good replacement; a 950 or 750ti?

I need something with 2 dvi ports and it needs to be low in price, I know very little about amd so any recommendations would be appreciated.
>>
So I have a usb powerbank, how do I charge my x220 with it? if anyone could give amazon uk links I would be seriously grateful
>>
>>53847054
go with an H17 mobo. the Z17 chipset is for overclocking. you could even go with a B150 mobo if you want to save even more
>>
Where do people store their system images? because mine weigts arround 60gb. Also if someone stoles my system image will he be able to explore my full computer as it was when the image was created?
I really think that yes, but I better ask to be sure.

Thanks a lot.
>>
>>53847081
newer is better with nvidia
you'll get more time out of it before they intentionally fuck you with bork drivers
I'd go with the 950
>>
>>53842264
Use a 240gb curtail bx200
>>
>>53840690
What is the difference between computer science and computer engineering?
>>
Novice python programmer here.

I have argument called balance. And I need to run it through a series of conditions to return certain numbers. Here's what the problem is

elif balance > 10:
balance = balance * 0.021
return balance

What I need to accomplish is to finish this action, and then test balance again to check if the value of balance is less than 10, and if so, balance should equal 10.

Is there any way to make multiple tests on balance?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.