[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SourceForge Alternatives ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: 1457254417820.gif (2 MB, 366x360) Image search: [Google]
1457254417820.gif
2 MB, 366x360
SourceForge Alternatives ?
>>
what features (that sourceforge offers) are you looking for?

there are lots of obvious alternatives that offer at least a few features. this shouldn't be something you need to make a new thread for.
>>
I need one simple feature and it's called upload your software to the website and it has to be simple while having total control over the project like deleting the program from the website. The public page for the has to have a simple download this software now page. Not like GitHub. GitHub page with the source folder of the project and you have to go finding the program.exe
>>
And sorry if u made a tread about this it's just I don't know where to upload programs that I made
>>
>>53838434
They're under new management now and they seem to have removed all the malware shit. What they did to that whole network was fucking sick.
>>
>>53838578
github?
>>
>>53838723
Already explained why >>53838562
>>
Mega
>>
>>53838562
>>53838578

How the fuck are you qualified to actually develop something if you're not qualified to just upload it to any free fileshare service?

Dump it on S3 and distribute links.
>>
>>53838713
It's going to take a long time building up trustworthiness before anyone who takes their work seriously would ever consider putting software on SF again.

>>53838562
>I need one simple feature and it's called upload your software to the website and it has to be simple
what's simple to you? i'm trying to reconcile the cognitive dissonance of you being a developer and also not being able to grasp the nuanced qualities of this decision you're making.

If you just want something that hosts and securely provides files, just use Amazon S3 buckets.

If you think S3 is too complicated, maybe it's for the best not to make your work available to others.
>>
>>53838776
Mega is a Cloud Storage service website
>>
>>53838779
Well sorry, i have never heard of Amazon S3 in my life.
>>
>>53838434
I never really understood what sourceforge's use case was, it wasn't focused on development so I guess it was just some weak sauce advertising site? I guess back in its hay day not every knew enough web dev to slap a site together but I still don't really understand why people didn't just throw their shit up on an FTP server and call it a day.

In any case, having read >>53838562 I still think github makes sense. Just make a pages site that features a download button prominently. Alternatively you could use neocities and do the same thing, they have a simple GUI tool if you really have 0 web dev skills
>>
>>53838816
I thought that's what you needed.
>>
>>53838831
What's the weather like under a rock this time of year?
>>
Isn't the sourceforge code open source? I think it an apache project
>>
>>53838856
you are sorta right, but i need a website that is toward programs and developers.
>>
>>53838831
1) ...Seriously?
2) Don't be obnoxious at this point. We just told you about something you had never heard of until now; you should be a tiny bit grateful that we're not calling you an incompetent retard for being this clueless.

>>53838832
SourceForge was the first big version control service, before GitHub and before anything else. It slowly became this shitty trashy advertising/malware site, but back in the old days it was basically what you think of GitHub as - the first place one would think to collaborate on software.
>>
>>53838781
sorry i never heard of Amazon S3 buckets so yeah.
>>
>>53838875
That's S3. Or you need to be clearer about
>simple
>hosting
>website [...] toward programs and developers
especially that last bit, which makes no fucking sense.
>>
>>53838856
SAD
>>
>>53838889
>so yeah
No. "So go read about it and see if it does what you need."

So go.
>>
>>53838884
>SourceForge was the first big version control service
Did they run SVN reops then? Or did people actually just hand patch code and re-upload it? I've never seen a "checkout with XYZ RCS" thing anywhere on a sourceforge page.
>>
>>53838942
this is all in their wikipedia page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SourceForge
>>
>amazon botnet services
Get your own fucking real site on a real server instead of this cancerous LOLCLOOOUD VIRTUALSERVER bullshit.
>>
I Will try out amazon s3 and github
>>
I am not going to be using amazon s3 because its only free for 1 year, well i guess i am going to be using GitHub
>>
>>53839064
>onedrive
>dropbox
>google drive

They all have free tiers. Have you not heard of any of these? I don't understand the premise here.

How popular do you think your program is ever going to be? My free tier S3 account finished years ago and now by bill is like $0.03 a month.
>>
>>53839830
I am looking for a website that is towards downloading programs like SourceForge not like Mega for example or Dropbox they are a cloud storage service. my program is never going to be popular but well you never know and still if your monthly bill is 3 pennies a month, i don't want to pay for a service like that i want a free one like again SourceForge or GitHub. Then why don't use SourceForge Idiot, well i will tell you why, its because i barely have control over my projects on SourceForge, for example if i make a project i cannot delete it or remove it.
>>
Bitbucket
>>
>>
>>53838562
bintray
fosshub
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.