[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux newfag here ive seen some negativity on arch Linux on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: CaptureNNN.png (1 MB, 841x834) Image search: [Google]
CaptureNNN.png
1 MB, 841x834
Linux newfag here

ive seen some negativity on arch Linux on /g/ but whats so bad about it?
>>
Nothing

We just like to pay out people who act pretentious about it.
>>
Buttmad little kids that come straight from braindead Windows over to GNU and expect to understand how to use arch get confused and frightened and so they say it's shit.
>>
>>53837792
I use it. I like it.
>>
>>53837841
This, and then they proceed to spout epic memes they heard about Arch from here
>>
>>53837841
>Buttmad little kids that come straight from braindead Windows over to GNU
That's pretty much all GNU/Linux users
Patricians who knew Unix moved to BSD
>>
disinfo shills

arch is praised by linux kernel developer greg kroah-hartman as the ideal distro
>>
>>53838893
sauce https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2ny1lz/im_greg_kroahhartman_linux_kernel_developer_ama/cmi0m8p
>It works really well for me. It has constantly updated packages based as closely as possible to upstream. It's a model that I think is the correct way to do a Linux distro, and I've helped work on at lest 6 different distros over the years.
>>
Fox and grape. Googling and replicating some commands is too much of an intellectual challenge for them so they make memes about how big losers arch users are in order to feel better about being both dumb and a socially inept loser.
>>
>linuxnewfag
>arch
Future windows shill
>>
>>53837792
I could just tell you its an unmanageable disaster in production networks, yet fun to learn things on (much like gentoo), and if you get real work done you should either use RHEL, a RHEL variant, or Debian / Ubuntu, but you can also just start diving into it and one day you'll come to the exact same conclusions if you apply simple logic to experience.
>>
>>53839061
>using any rolling release in production networks
No.
>using crusty old fucking shit like RHEL or Debian or even to some extent Ubuntu (especially LTS which is the only really stable Ubuntu) on a home PC
No.

Right tool for the right job.
>>
>>53839078
I use Linux for servers. Linux on desktop has been rolling downhill since 2006 and everything is broken right now. Ubuntu 16.04 looks promising thus far but sound is still a disaster on Linux in general and good proprietary softwares are nowhere to be found. I'm just being pragmatic. I have to get shit done.
>>
>>53839128
No, it's not. Stop spreading FUD, Microsoft shill.

Jesus fuck, you've already got at least two threads rolling, don't infect another one with your lies.
>>
>>53839178
he's just doing his job dude :^)
>>
>>53839178
Yeah tell me when Mir/Wayland actually works. FFS, tell me when Linux audio is ever good, ALSA has been fucked since its inception.. Tell me when I can get good proprietary mainstay softwares. I know that isn't any linux vendor's fault or the fault of the community completely, but it is something I have to contend with.
>>
>>53839178
>someone doesn't agree with me
>MUST BE SHILL!!1010101010oneone
you guys are worse than tumblrinas
t. arch user
>>
>>53839178
Also you assume much. My desktop environment is Mac. Though likely not for too long. I'm getting very pissed off at everything Apple is breaking and simply ignoring.
>>
>>53839128
>rolling downhill since 2006 and everything is broken right now
what are you on about? i don't use linux on my home desktop but things really are so so much better than they were back then and before.
>>
>>53839178
>>53839288
But to follow up, since I stated I am disatisfied with the state of affairs with OS X, it's only fair to say I am either considering Ubutnu 16.04 or Win10. I have to decide whether I want unix or proprietary softwares.
>>
>>53839328
I felt Ubuntu 6.06 LTS was a high point for Linux. Everything for the most part was one UI toolkit, GTK2, compositing was dependable at least with nvidia hardware, Wifi was very dependable across all the major chipsets, ALSA was as broken then as it is now, proprietary software like skype and others were still broken or you needed wrappers like WINE that were less than ideal, those things never changed.
>>
>>53839328
Granted there are many improvements since. SysVInit is dead. I dislike much of the approach of SystemD but finally there is something fast that performs boot operations asynchronously in a dependency based manner that everyone has mostly agreed to use, and open source drivers for a wide variety of things have improved considerably.
>>
>>53837792
literally nothing
I installed arch w/ kde on an old laptop last month (over windows 8) and now I've got arch on all computers (but with i3)
I even bought a hhkb2 on impulse but it turns out /g/ isn't all memes
>>
>>53837792
Nothing wrong with it, I personally just don't have time or inclination to mess with it. I was excited about it a decade or so ago when it first came out and even wrote a few early packages/installers for it. I don't remember much about it though, I've slept since then. If you have the interest and feel like messing with it then great. I run Fedora GNOME because I want something that "just werks" with minimal effort.
>>
>>53838837
As a Fedora user I agree that there's a lot of truth to this. I like the Fedora because I find it super easy to set up and get running. Bare metal to fully functional in < 15 minutes. I'm not sure I could do this on *BSD, maybe after the initial learning curve.
>>
>>53839128
>sound is still a disaster on Linux
>tfw loonix cant figure out if i plug headphones or mic into the headphone/mic jack leading to one ear playing soudn and the other playing some loud buzzing noise
>>
>>53839529
"werks fer me"
>>
>>53839559
havent had sound issues across 3 other laptops and a desktop, had to luck out sometimes i guess lel
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.