[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
petri-dish meats
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7
File: 0311labmeat02.jpg (61 KB, 961x641) Image search: [Google]
0311labmeat02.jpg
61 KB, 961x641
how about petri-dish meats?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y027yLT2QY0
>>
>>53837568
I think this will be 90% of all meats sold be the end of the century with 10% left to people who don't believe in it kinda like vegans, but with meat.

As long as it taste is indistinguishable from the cut it it is suppose to mimic and is more efficient to grow then it will happen.
>>
>meat industries HATE him
>>
>>53837964
I'd be down with it desu.

There's gonna be a huge public outcry for MUH ORGANIC MUH FARM FRESH but I'd be pretty shocked if the vegan and anti cruelty activists don't hop on board.
>>
petri-dish meats are patrish af
>>
If this happens then what are vegans gonna do? The only reason they exist is so they can act holier than thou and exercise their fascist desires on others

With animals not being consumed then vegans are kill

They're not gonna let it happen
>>
I'd pretty much eat anything grown in a lab except for meat. Meat needs to come from a real dead animal for me I don't care if it tastes the exact same.

And it won't ever taste the exact same anyway.
>>
File: 1459031880283.jpg (45 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1459031880283.jpg
45 KB, 1280x720
>>53837568

>someone will use this to grow human meats
>>
>>53837964
>people who don't believe in it kinda like vegans, but with meat.
Vegetarians?
>>
>>53838011
Given our tech progress and culture I really am not sure how this even goes. Here are a few scenarios
>vegetarians embrace the tech and eat this meat, assuming they aren't seeded with real animals
>vegetarians don't embrace this saying that it is still based on the flesh of animals, though there are less vegetarians after this.
>people won't eat it saying it is like gmo or irradiated food. Basically unnatural.
>people will only eat this type of meat, saying it is purified, safe and clean. Unlike real meat. Kind of like the demolition man scenario.
>>
Holy shit food-borne diseases could be dropped significantly. All the food is able to be made in small sections, not interacting with each other or with other animals or the environment.
>>
>>53837568
will all meats be possible? i would enjoy meat if it taste real
>>
>>53838095
>>people won't eat it saying it is like gmo or irradiated food. Basically unnatural.
This. Expect the beef, pork, and other meat lobbies to push back against it and play it off people's fears.
>>
The quicker it becomes ready for mass production the better. Even if you don't care about animal cruelty farming is one of the worst things to happen to the environment.

>>53838040
You're fucking retarded.
>>
>>53838057
>Macfags will use this to grow human penises to eat.
>>
>>53838267
>Not thinking about growing your own vagina before the gay mac stuff

You really need to look in the mirror, son
>>
>>53838057
? the way our organs are currently being grown is with 3d printed cellulos and tissue, not in a fucking petri dish
>>
>>53838293
Skin is being grown in petri dishes
>>
>>53838306
cool...
>>
>>53837568
is this even remotely energy efficient?
>>
It's certainly an interesting concept. Unfortunately there's a lot of hurdles. One of the things that makes meat taste good is the fat content. It's difficult to replicate that by simply cloning some muscle cells. We've got a very long way to go before eating cloned meat becomes viable.
>>
>>53838057

human burgers
>>
>>53838353
>put cell down
>leave it for a bit
only thing is cooling, which meat requirs anyway unless your european (like stock fishs, surstomming, dried meats etc)
>>
>>53838090
No, I meant it like the sentiment behind the culture.

The "10%" would eat meats, but just vehemently avoid petri-meats with an obnoxious outcry.
>>
>>53838382
What do they feed the cells? How do they produce it in large amounts? How much would this meat cost compared to meat from a cow or a pig?
>>
File: Do Dah Doo Doo Pierre.jpg (28 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Do Dah Doo Doo Pierre.jpg
28 KB, 400x300
>>53837568
SMELLS LIKE MEAT
ROTTEN MEAT!
>>
You wouldn't 3d print a cow
>>
>>53838449
petri meat?
poison!
>>
>>53838422
protiens that promote tissue growth, they also need preservatives
>>
>>53838231
>Expect the beef, pork, and other meat lobbies to push back against it and play it off people's fears.
and this is where it all falls down.

Instead of massively reducing the environmental effects of meat consumption, lobbies will just scare everyone because "UNNATURAL" and will play politicians on the lost jobs stance.

I wish I could have more faith in society. I'd totally eat synthetic meat. Especially if it can decrease the (admittedly low) health risks associated with meat consumption.
>>
>>53838057
Absolutely. They've already been making human flavored tofu meat replacement for years.
>>
>>53838590
Is it green? Is it *soylent*?
>>
>>53837964
>10% left to people who don't believe in it kinda like vegans, but with meat.
More likely rich people who eat it like a status thing to show they can afford it.
>>
>>53838011

I have a relative whose a vegan and asked them if they were for or against these sorts of meats, they actually told me they were against them because they believed animals still had to suffer for the product to be created in the first place, even if the suffering of a few meant the rest would be fine, they were still against it.
>>
>>53838095
>>people won't eat it saying it is like gmo or irradiated food. Basically unnatural.
That's a good point. People are gonna get real retarded when it comes to this.

Why the fuck do they persist in believing that natural == good?
>>
>>53838208
>will all meats be possible?
That's what I want to know. I am assuming that they are growing a culture of muscle cells from an animal, which seems to imply you could grow just about any kind of meat, including that of endangered species. I want to know if pandas are delicious.

Anyway, I can't help but think of the applications in space. Hopefully, the possibility of cruelty-free endangered meat and space meat will push back against the problem >>53838583 pointed out. I really hate rent seeking behavior.
>>
It will be required at some point but we will also consume other protein sources like bugs
>>
File: 1452058969966.png (78 KB, 363x324) Image search: [Google]
1452058969966.png
78 KB, 363x324
>>53838883

If you buy your food from a supermarket, it's not natural. At least because it comes from a strain that has been selectively bred over generations.

Also because some level of processing and exposure to artificial agents is necessary to preserve farmed meat in which contaminants like bacteria and viruses are inherent (and wouldn't necessarily be if cultured in a sterile factors).

Regardless, it's identical to tissue from farm-raised animals at the molecular scale even at this stage. The only difference is it isn't complex tissue (all the cells in a given patty are phenotypically identical). With time they will surely learn how to replicate the innervation and vasculature and layers of tissue characteristic of farmed meat.

At that point, there will be no arguable reason other than living on or around a farm, nostalgia, or to show-off wealth to prefer farmed meat.

>>53838824

At this stage some input of animal products is necessary, the idea is eventually to bring the technology to the point where all future cultures could be derived purely from existing lab cultured cells.

And if you had an animal of a strain that you particularly enjoyed the meat of, you could just conduct a painless biopsy to get the parent cells.
>>
>>53837568
If it isn't going to end up patented, like the GMO seeds and shit.

>>53838011
PTERI-DISH MEATS LIVES MATTER!
And what next? Petri-dish humans for hacking up whenever we need a liver transplant? Just don't petri-dish them a brain and it's OK.
>>
>>53838883
We're natural. That's the big thing right? It's not intrinsically better because there's no intrinsic difference.
>>
>>53838698
Underrated fucking post
>>
File: shark.jpg (187 KB, 513x437) Image search: [Google]
shark.jpg
187 KB, 513x437
>tfw might be able to afford lab grown wagyu tier meats
the future looks tasty
>>
File: 20lbs.jpg (299 KB, 864x864) Image search: [Google]
20lbs.jpg
299 KB, 864x864
>>53838057
>>
>>53837964
I look forward to this. Plenty of food for the masses and it can be grown to taste a specific way.
>>
>>53838824
Of course they're against it, because it would solve the problem.

No problem = no outrage = no superiority and free money.
>>
yes pls
>>
>>53839666
>expensive, lab tailored petri-meat
>for the masses
ha ha ha
>>
>>53837568
Americans will love it.
It will solve world hunger.
>>
>>53837568
That will be the cause of the next mass extinction.
>>
>>53840503
We will probably still need milk production
but pigs will be stopped from breeding.
>>
>>53837568
someone check the closest designated shitting street to this company to see if this guys stool looks ok after eating that.
>>
>>53839766
http://www.fastcoexist.com/3044572/the-325000-lab-grown-hamburger-now-costs-less-than-12
>>
>>53838824
He's a fucking idiot.

I'm a vegan and I can't wait for meat like this to be mass produced.

>>53839717
Free money?
>>
>>53840709
>Free money?
Bitching gets people government money apparently. See: minorities
>>
>>53840732
Is that why people bitch about vegans so much?
>>
>>53837568
Meat is meat you think giant chickens that mature in 2 weeks is ever on the cards?
Literally all your farmed meat is unnatural.This is just the next step in evolution.
Less wasteful, less resources required.
We future now.
>>
>>53840754
Well, the majority of people that bitch about vegans are white males who are incapable of receiving free money because it's reserved for literally anyone else.
>>
If they start with beef or pork, how long will it take to replicate seafood?
>>
>>53840754
People bitch about vegans because the majority of them are pajeets that can't into poo in loo.
>>
>>53837964
Fancy steaks and that kind of stuff will probably not be emulated as easily, but virtually all processed meat will be replaced by lab meat when it's cheap enough, probably in just a decade or two.
>>
>>53838057
>>
>>53840754
peta.org
I'm sure they get no donations.
>>
>>53837568
0/10 would not eat. We would have plenty of natural meat to go around if pajeet would stop over breeding poo in loo undesirables.
>>
My favourite thing about vegans is that if they had their way all livestock would die.
>>
>>53840882
And?
Death isn't objectively bad, suffering is.
>>
>>53840882
You should read Better Never to Have Been: The Harm of Coming into Existence
>>
>>53837568
I'm all for it.

Anything to save us from a future eating insects for meat. If that ever becomes a thing, it's the day I go vegetarian.
>>
>>53837568
No - fuck this shit.

I would still prefer to occasionally eat real animals - and have my diet otherwise 90% raw vegetables/fruits.
>>
>>53837568
No thanks, I'll continue getting my meat from the farm
>>
But how will i taste the animals sadness now?
Thats where the flavor comes from!

I don't think reminding the meatdish of it's impending doom is going to give it the same taste anon, shit idea.
>>
>>53838824
>even if the suffering of a few meant the rest would be fine, they were still against it.
stupid hippies hate solutions. This is news?
They did it to Southeast Asia, nuclear power, and apparently now they're trying to do it to meat.
Why do people even listen to them?
>>
>>53837568
let's save this for the fallout era
>>
>>53837568
Theyll be using it in your mcdouble years before you see it on a grocery store shelf, but it will happen.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.