[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is getting a second monitor worth it? I'm looking to buy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 2323461235712.jpg (86 KB, 652x365) Image search: [Google]
2323461235712.jpg
86 KB, 652x365
Is getting a second monitor worth it? I'm looking to buy a 1440p monitor and use my current 1080p U2414H as a secondary display I tend to use the split feature in windows a lot because I often run out of space and want to do several things at once, but constantly resizing windows and dragging them around is annoying. I'm still not sure if it makes sense to spend $300-350 just for that extra space.
I notice a lot of you have dual or multi monitor setups so I'm wondering if you guys think it's worth it? Could you go back to having just one monitor?

In case you're wondering, I currently have the meme card (bought it before the whole 3.5gb fiasco), but I'm going to upgrade once Polaris/Pascal comes out.
>>
Find a cheap used monitor and try it for a week or so. 20bucks or something.

If youre buying the 1440 anyway then try it with yours. Dont buy new shit if youre not sure. I personally like 2 or even 3 monitora but its mostly for skype and movies and shit. Most actually productive crap I did was working on uni stuff for references and not having to alt tab all the time. Not needed but nice to have.
>>
It's worth it, even if you only get a small 900p monitor. It's a godsend to be able to turn your head and be able to see commands running in the background. I'm not a gaymer, so I bought a cheap 23 inch 1080p HP widescreen from someone for 50 dollars used.
>>
I ran 2 monitors 3 years ago for awhile, didn't like it at all and wouldn't considering running 2 monitors again. Currently using my 1440p monitor as my single monitor and am happy.
>>
Yeah that's why I'm going to end up buying two identical monitors
>>
>>53835659
>Is getting a second monitor worth it?

It depends on what you are planning to do with it, but it often comes really handy when working with multiple windows, or software that require long horizontal space (like audio software).
As I read your post, I think it will be most definitively useful for you.
>>
Yes, definitely. I can use 1 monitor but I don't like to. It's not nearly as good for programming when the IDE takes up a shitload of space and you want stackoverflow/guides/docs visible.

It's absolutely necessary at my work because of the amount of shit we're supposed to handle at once
>>
File: 877cashnaoebinxDDD.jpg (23 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
877cashnaoebinxDDD.jpg
23 KB, 400x300
i used to use a 15" display, it was ok, and i thought i needed more.

i got 2 monitors, and it was just distracting, and painful to mouse-over multiple desktops
then i got a huge ips and it was nice, but having all sorts of terminals open was distracting, and the off-centered main window was annoying b/c 'wide' display

i don't recommend it, but hey, it's your money, use it when _you_ need it.
>>
>>53836115
This. Recording would be such a pain in the ass with one monitor. One screen for main window, second for mixing panel.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.