[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Deal with it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: Deal-With-It-Meme-Obama-05.jpg (43 KB, 432x550) Image search: [Google]
Deal-With-It-Meme-Obama-05.jpg
43 KB, 432x550
> Go to Apple interview
> Show up with Nexus and Google wear (LG) watch
> Admit to having never bought an Apple device
> Admit to buying a ThinkPad even though my college gave me a MacBook.
> No Objective-C or Swift experience.
> Never had a full-time Programming job outside of college
> Offered (very close to) 6 figure salary with sign on and relocation bonus
> Don't want to move to California
> Deal with it.
>>
>>53835395
i dealed with it
>captcha: D34L W17H 17
>>
>>53835395
simply ebic
>>
>>53835395
if ony
>>
File: 31843610.jpg (109 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
31843610.jpg
109 KB, 400x400
Fuck You.
>>
Why the fuck did you apply to Apple if you didn't want to move to California?
>>
>>53835395
>implying this happened
>>
>Why the fuck did you apply to Apple if you didn't want to move to California?

I applied to everywhere I wouldn't mind working. Went to all interviews i got as a safety net. Since I got other offers that doesn't require going somewhere I don't like, I didn't choose it. But if it was my only option, I'd have no choice but to go there for a year or two, then apply again to something I like.
>>
>>53837653
Isn't that always the case for anything ever?
>>
>>53838536
>I applied to everywhere I wouldn't mind working
... did you not realize apple was in california?

your original post makes it sound like you turned down the offer at apple primarily on the basis that you didn't want to move to california.

you don't make good career decisions if that was the deciding factor. where did you choose to work instead? some tech company not in silicon valley - i hope it was in or around seattle because otherwise you gave up a reasonably good career opportunity (not just a job offer) to remain mediocre.
>>
>>53835395
>Offered (very close to) 6 figure salary with sign on and relocation bonus
>Don't want to move to California
isn't sub 100k low as fuck for california?
>>
>>53838536
>I applied everywhere I wouldn't mind working
but if you would pick company B on the basis that company A is someplace you don't like, then you *do* mind.

At best, you can say that you applied everywhere that you thought you could tolerate living. But California (and the south bay in particular) is a really nice place to live (assuming you can afford it), and if you want a more urban experience then SF in the opposite direction is there too.

Also
>nearly 6 figure salary
Jesus my friend was offered 6 figures at a tech company when he graduated 3 years ago. You must have not been that compelling a candidate if you were under the 100k mark in 2016.
>>
>>53838599
Rough estimate for federal and state income tax says you'd take home about $64k per year if you start with $100k.

Average rent for an apartment in San Jose is ~$2500/month. There's more data on SF so I can say that a 1BR in SF averages around $3096, whereas a 2BR (i.e. you can have a roommate and split rent) is $4126 apparently (so you'd pay about $2100).

But let's say San Jose, 2500/month (that probably averages in 1BRs and 2BRs but whatever). That's 30k/year, so you have 34k left over after taxes and rent.

The department of labor says you shouldn't be spending more than 1/3 of your income on housing, but I don't remember if they meant 1/3 of net or gross income. if net, then you're blowing way past that; if gross, then you're sort of in the right zone.

Still, 100k is not much considering the industry. If you can get a job at a company like Apple or Google then you should be able to leverage that into a much higher-paying job at other companies. You're basically perceived as a wizard if you have certain credentials.

I'm a grad student at stanford and I get the email equivalent of cold calls on a daily basis offering 6 figure salaries to drop out and work for all sorts of stupid startups.
>>
>tfw apply to places and don't get any responses
I think I am going to just kill myself
>>
/subscribe
>>
>>53836744
B8post
>>
>>53838727
Obviously not a higher maths student.
>>
>>53838727
This was just the offer, so of course the the real deal would have been well above $100k (I hope). The positions I applied for were in research - which I technically don't qualify for, so I'm surprised I even got considered. Also, any student here can get an interview at any company since many of them maintain recruitment offices nearby and some even branches here (like Google, where I had my internship). This town has 2 great universities which are literally right next to each other, and many other great ones right across the bridge, so it's hot spot where employers come to fish for slaves.

Everyone I know and their dog who applied to Apple or Google had some kind of offer, although most either chose to continue with their education or try to get rich starting startups that claims to aim change the world by making something no one asked for.

>>53838576
Finding a job is just a backup plan for me just in case I don't make it to grad school, since I heard companies are desperate to hire anyone these days, while universities are turning down geniuses - and I'm not one of those (the ones that I'm aiming for anyway). I've already been disappointed by my top choice, and even for grad school, I don't want to go to California, not because I dislike the state, but because everyone there seems to be focused on getting rich quick schemes (startups with delusional missions), and I'd rather do something meaningful with my life.

>>53838853
Higher maths are usually only applicable to itself, don't think it would be of much use here.
>>
>>53838826
Yes, that was my intention, it's a defense mechanism that I use to make myself feel better about not selling out.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.