[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are there no big tech companies created by women?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6
File: Bill_Gates_Letter_to_Hobbyists.jpg (2 MB, 1700x2200) Image search: [Google]
Bill_Gates_Letter_to_Hobbyists.jpg
2 MB, 1700x2200
Why are there no big tech companies created by women?
>>
Because women are useless fuckholes
>>
>>53832518
>/mg/ - Misogyny general
>>
>>53832565
Explain
>>
>>53832518
Because women are systematically oppressed in almost every field?
>>
>>53832659
[Citation needed]
>>
>>53832659
Who has time to oppress women in every career on earth?
>>
>>53832659
Can't tell if low quality bait or the retarded sex.
>>
>>53832670
t. A sexist
>>53832678
Capitalists and other right wing scum
>>53832718
Case and point
>>
It's simply too hard for women. We need to make creating big tech companies easier for women. Feminists like to say that men and women are equal but it's simply not true otherwise we would see more big tech companies created by women.
>>
>>53832770
>systematic oppression
>no sexual differences
>there is a way to prevent somebody from sacrificing their own time to develope their own software
>It's a right wing capitalist conspiracy
>you believe this.
>>
They aren't really innovators. Well, don't seem to be. There's no 'barrier' to entry beyond their ability to come up with decent ideas and business models.
>>
File: 1454453035218.png (22 KB, 300x188) Image search: [Google]
1454453035218.png
22 KB, 300x188
>>53832802
>believing men in programming aren't inherently sexist
>>
>>53832864
No, no. It's evil capitalists trying to prevent females from engaging in capitalism.

Look at the compelling argument here >>53832770
>>
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-nature-nurture-nietzsche-blog/201402/the-sticking-point-why-men-still-outnumber-women-in
>>
>>53832900
>psychologytoday
>>
File: 1280601333459.jpg (83 KB, 600x362) Image search: [Google]
1280601333459.jpg
83 KB, 600x362
>>53832770
>>
>>53832919
>4chan - /g/
>>
>>53832899
>literally hating all women in programming
Hmmmmm I wonder why many women don't feel accepted in the programming community
>>
>>53832919
>poisoning the well
>>
>>53832893
>believing somebody else's beliefs can hold you back
Pathetic. If you were driven, nothing would stop you. Companies have an incentive to hire the best person. Failing that, no man can stop a woman from starting her own company. Business is risk. Women are more risk averse. But it's easier to blame your non-action (not even a failure) on genitals.
>>
>>53832518
They spend their time in more useful stuff for human beans, like feminism
>>
>>53832547
Untrue

>>53832659
Also untrue

Starting a business is risky, and growing a successful business requires a lot of skill beyond your field.

Women prefer safety where men are kind of reckless. Recklessness pays off better but also can burn you hard.
>>
>>53832934
>no argument; durr sexist sexist sexist
That won't fly here.
>>
>>53832973
This.
>>
>>53832945
>le fallacy meme
>>
>>53832518
Ask women
>>
>>53832945
Saying a source is untrustworthy and poisoning the well are two different things.

Lrn2fallacy
>>
>>53832518
You can't prove that women haven't started any big tech companies
>>
File: consider_the_following.png (264 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
consider_the_following.png
264 KB, 1000x1000
Most companies fail.

Starting a company is a high risk proposition. Women are more averse to high risk activity than men re: any study on the topic ever.

If you're an angel investor you know that out of every 10 investments you make, you expect about 6-7 of them to go belly up and the money to be forfeit, a couple may make back what was spent, a couple may make a 3-5X return, and you hope one of them makes a 8-10X return. Facing that kind of washout, women would rather work a salary.
>>
>>53833008
You can't prove God isn't an eleven-fingered faggot.
>>
>>53832985
I don't care f a m. Just letting you know from another perspective
>>
>>53832990
>rationality is a meme
>>
>>53833055
And I don't care about your reason-free perspective.
>>
>>53833002
Why does the source matter? The arguments are laid out in front of you
>>
cisco, flickr and whiteout were started by women. Whiteout is sort of a technology, albeit kind of obsolete now. There's probably a few others too
>>
>>53833105
Cisco was started by a man and his wife.
>>
>>53833129
Just like Microsoft
>>
>>53832518
Because back in the 70s, almost no women were interested in computers. To most, a computer was some pointless toy their husband/son tinkered with in their spare time.

It's only now that tech interest across genders is really starting to converge, and to make up for the fact that men have a half-century head start women have taken to blaming men for making it a "boys' club" despite decades of ostracizing computer nerds, like they had nothing to do with it.
>>
>>53833101
The source extremely matters, why should I entertain something that is essentially as credible as a blog post.
>>
>>53833142
Which one is the wife? Gates?
>>
>>53833077
>le reddit fedora tipper meme word
>not a meme
>>
Women aren't forward thinking
>>
>>53833142
>>53833170
No no, a man and his wife's son started Microsoft
>>
>>53833168
Well, you're shitposting on /g/ so your time is probably not very valuable.
>>
>be female dev
>network occasionally
>tell people I work in a tech company
>"oh, are you in HR?"
>tell them I'm a dev
>"oh, are you a tester? do you write excel macros?"
>tell them I use scala for backend stuff
>they assume I only know the basics, and enthusiastically try to give me beginner tutorials that I stopped needing 4 years ago
>in fact, it turns out they're glorified java monkeys who no nearly nothing about scala except how to write java in it, and their raving about maps and filters bores me

Do you really think all of that would happen if I were a man?
>>
If women are so dumb, why does a higher percentage of the female population have average IQ? People like mentioning how many male geniuses there are, but they forget to mention there are also more male simpletons.
>>
>>53833281
Yes, if you used a Macbook and drank Starbucks.
>>
>>53833284
Now plug race into it.
>>
>>53833284
The male simpletons tend not to be out in public much. From there, it's a case of out of sight, out of mind.
>>
>>53833281
The stereotype is real and you're the rare exception. Carry the burden for your gender.
>>
>>53833299
I don't use a Macbook or drink Starbucks, though.
>>
File: 2ec.png (208 KB, 327x316) Image search: [Google]
2ec.png
208 KB, 327x316
>>53833083
>reason-free perspective
Says the Nazi
>>
They don't spring up overnight, and women played a different role in society back when it was easier to get a market share. Once interest in the field began to even out between genders, there were already industry giants that can't really be competed with.
>>
>>53833281
You only would've skipped the preamble, but another way to do that is to be specific on the second question.

>"no, I write Scala for back end code that does x, y, and z. Just recently I implemented x it was pretty cool"

Bam
>>
>>53833336
Still not an argument.
>>
>>53833281
>Be a man
>Work in an industry that was filled with nothing but men for decades because women didn't give a shit about it
>Women finally give a shit about it, be happy and eager to help them fit it
>Make a simple mistake when you meet a woman who just so happens to have been in the industry longer than you expected and try to explain some shit she already knows because you're excited to see more women getting into a related field to you

Wow what a sexist hate crime, I feel so sorry for you.
>>
>>53833333
Nice numbers, m8.
You better believe I checked them.
>>
>>53833362
Would be nice, if they'd let me get a word in edgeways more often.

Additionally, in the past there have been times where I've mentioned some FP technique I found a real-world use for, and I've been met with "well you could just have done it this (longer, less succinct, spaghetti-like) way like a real programmer instead, and not had to use all that theoretical nonsense". Sometimes it feels like I just can't win.
>>
>>53833362
So women should have to demonstrate on the spot that they're technologically competent, otherwise they're at fault when they're patronized? And that's not even "being specific", it's giving unprompted information. Kind of a silly argument.
>>
>>53833398
If it just happened once, or twice? Fine, whatever, no big deal. But it keeps happening, and it's grinding me down.
>>
>>53833482
Nerds love to ramble on about things they like and demonstrate their knowledge.
Men love to feel important, and they ESPECIALLY love to brag to women.

It sucks, yes, it's annoying, absolutely, but you know what else?
It will pass. Give it time.
You're in a field that's in the middle of a paradigm shift of sorts, there's a teething period. Just try to ignore it or look at the bright side.
>>
>>53833482
Don't let it bother you. Be more thick-skinned.
>>
>>53833482
And it's going to keep happening. Don't get too uppity though, or you'll be labeled a bitch. Also, smile more.
>>
>>53833526
>>53833530
Thanks. I'll try to keep ignoring it.

>>53833532
Heh. I see the humour, but it cuts a little close to home.
>>
>>53833449
Then don't talk to those people, they sound shitty.

>>53833450
Well life sucks, but you either deal with it or whine. This shit happens to the new guys, the young guys, less senior guys, the minority guys, females, etc. Humans (and males in particular) are about domination and submission, and you're either higher or lower on the food chain.
>>
Women don't take big risks as much as men do.
>>
>>53833398
People being overly accommodating for some characteristic you have for your entire life gets really fucking annoying over time. Yes, it comes out of perceived good will, and the aggregated irritation over the years isn't the fault of every individual, but it seriously gets hard to deal with over time.

For me, it's a health issue that isn't even that big a hindrance, but people bring it up all the time thinking they're helping when it's really just annoying and unnecessary. Sometimes people need to think twice about "helping" is.
>>
>>53833617
>people want to help me and I can't communicate that I don't want to be helped properly!!

Wow sure does suck that people care about your well-being
>>
>>53833691
Again, I appreciate where it comes from, but what they're doing isn't "helping me properly", it's just obnoxious. And I don't want to sound ungrateful or just an asshole, so my only choice really is to keep it to myself. Nobody would like me if I gave a prepared speech about it every time they did it to me.
>>
>>53833691
It's pretty annoying if everyone you meet assumes you are a retard immediately.

I've found it's better just to be an asshole to everybody.
>>
>tfw I automatically assume every woman I meet is tech-retarded
Feels good being a misogynist asshole. Of course, I also assume every man I meet is not only tech-retarded, but also not polite enough to keep his retardation to himself.
>>
File: Shitty graph.png (61 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Shitty graph.png
61 KB, 1024x1024
>>53833617
It does, and in your case, it's probably not going to change since health issues occur at a constant rate, but fortunately for Women in Tech it's an exploding issue that will subside, and it'll become commonplace for them to be there.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.