[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Custom radio streams for Satellite radio devices
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: radio-los-santos.png (22 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
radio-los-santos.png
22 KB, 200x200
I have a car with a nice SiriusXM player. I don't give a shit about their product though, I want to replace all the radio streams in the player with different radio stations from various GTA games.

>because autism.

People have cracked their encryption before. It looks like it's a similar situation to satellite TV hacking back in the early 2000s, which was basically a bunch of dudes in IRC sharing codes and exploits and some people selling them IRL.

Each channel in SiriusXM is essentially one giant file that streams or fully downloads to the player.

I figure I can set up a rasberry pi or similar lightweight box with a SSD and load it with my own streams, sent as an emulated satellite signal to replace the actual satellite antenna.

Plus then I can create my own streams for things like various genres of music. I don't want to have to fuck around with setting up my own internet radio stations, or paid services, or freemium services, or anything. I want something that will work entirely inside of my car with no network connection needed or required once it's set up and data files are loaded.

I don't want to set up a bluetooth stream or an FM microbroadcaster. I want to be able to use the existing radio in my car and hit 'satellite' and scroll the knob through 30-40 stations all of which I have configured on the SSD plugged into a little box sitting in my glove compartment.

>again i know this is autism

This technically isn't illegal or piracy. I don't want to steal their service, I just want to use hardware that I own, for my own purposes.
>>
>>53832420
Problem is that's so autistic no one else gives a shit. There are a lot of reasons not to do that, especially added complexity. Most users, including me, would recommend getting a new radio. Maybe a radio with documented commands to the faceplate so you can have the Pi as the backend connecting to the faceplate. Then you can implement your own radio station behavior.
>>
>>53832752

That would be pretty sweet but I can't find any radio that would let me do this.

I want to be able to use knobs to change channels and adjust volume (touchscreen shit is awful while trying to drive) and select through a bunch of my custom streams from my pi.

Maybe I should have the chinks make me a custom in-dash radio? Most aftermarket stuff SUCKS. Shiny chromed plastic, giant terrible touchscreens, etc.

I just want the experience of switching from station to station, and the stations are whatever I wanted them to be, and I don't have to worry about a data connection or streaming externally.

Hijacking the SiriusXM hardware seems like the easiest way to do this but maybe you're right and I should go with custom hardware. Maybe get an open source standard going so other people can do the same thing.
>>
Just use your phone, an aux cable, and some playlists.
>>
>>53832816
Make it yourself? It should be doable. Just put together a LCD, knobs, and a few buttons. Slap on a 3D printed faceplate and you're golden. Of course that can get harder than it sounds but the general scope doesn't seem too bad.
>>
>>53832816
>>53834368

Oh, and I really doubt hijacking the signal would be easy. Decrypting an existing signal is one thing but generating your own that complies with the XM standard sounds like a royal pain in the ass and definitely something that will take hundreds of hours because you are trying to hijack another company's hardware. By making it yourself you can start smaller and scale up. And if you get stuck on something you'll still have a functional audio player, whereas an unsuccessful hijack leaves you with nothing useful.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.